[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

What type of fish is in the middle of CaptiveReefs (top left corner of page...hint it is the main character in Finding Nemo) )

Just out of the fire! Hot Hot Hot

Bookmark and Share
    CR Sponsor

Default Just out of the fire! Hot Hot Hot

We have decided to put a few pictures of the new texturing we are working on. We think it is a much more natural look. It isn't as rough a texture as some of the past products. I really like it. Eventually all of our textured hand made structures will have this new look. These are not finished. Still waiting on epoxy for the magnets. We will have some on display for macna. It is a hard look to pull of but it is way easier on my hands. They actually take longer to make from start to finish than the old style texturing.

DSC 0477 1 - Just out of the fire! Hot Hot Hot
    DSC 0478 1 - Just out of the fire! Hot Hot Hot
    DSC 0480 1 - Just out of the fire! Hot Hot Hot
    DSC 0488 - Just out of the fire! Hot Hot Hot

CR Sponsor

We have also started making them look a little different also. These are the magnetic branches. They will be the same as the shelves in pricing. I did make one triple magnet branch and that looks pretty cool. Like everything I make. They phot poorly but look awesome in person.

DSC 0490 - Just out of the fire! Hot Hot Hot

DSC 0491 - Just out of the fire! Hot Hot Hot

ReeferRob - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Rob
    Awards Photo of the Month

Love the new texture, looking forward to seeing it in person on day!
    "We shouldn't think of an environment where livestock can survive, we should ensure an environment where livestock can thrive."-Rabidgoose
    "If it's gonna be that kinda party, Ima stick my ........ in the mashed potatoes!"-Beastie Boys

CR Sponsor

This is the fifth different method of texturing we have used. I am always trying to make them as real looking as possible.

I will be firing a new piece in the next week. I think they are really cool. Kind of a transition piece. Phil made one during goof off time. I really liked the look so I had him make six more. I'll get pics up of those once they are fired.

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

I'd like to see some of the branch versions....and it would be nice if the branches had spots for plugs...

CR Sponsor

I only made four total. One with three magnets. The two pictured above and a fourth one that didn't photgraph good at all. I will be able to photo it better once it is done and I can shoot it at a better angle. I just didn't have the time today.

We talked about putting holes in them for plugs but I am not sure they will be strong enough once we drill a dozen or so holes in it. Once it is fired they are solid but just getting some of these things to the kiln without breaking them is a job in itself. The micro plugs might work but the micro plugs fall into our basic or economy brand of products and the magnetic products are our midpriced product. I liken these to be more shelf like. Where you mount a coral to it and watch it grow and become a part of the tank. But I am sure we will try it down the road.

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

I'm thinking a smaller magnetic version of the one you are donating to macna.

maybe 3-4 fat stubby branches with one or two plug holes each.

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

One like Jim's talking about for nano tanks too )
    There's nothing like being a Reefer! www.upmmas.com

CR Sponsor

The structure we are donating to macna is not magnetic. I think that might be pretty hard to make into a magnetic piece. We are limited to a certain weight. The magnets we use are strong but we also have to think about how heavy the coral you put on it is going to get. Then there is also the packaging and shipping to think about. I can make some real wicked looking stuff but if I ship it and it gets broken in transit what is the point.

Like I said I will make more. But right now we are just trying to build inventory on our standard items. Those structures are made when we have extra time. I don't have a lot of time right now for play. nd Phil has to make me 300 Big Uns before he can even think about any more structures.

CR Sponsor

I took these out of the kiln this morning. These are all medium reef shelves. Again not for sale yet. They will be on display at macna.

DSC 0507 1 - Just out of the fire! Hot Hot Hot
    DSC 0506 1 - Just out of the fire! Hot Hot Hot
    DSC 0505 1 - Just out of the fire! Hot Hot Hot
    DSC 0498 - Just out of the fire! Hot Hot Hot
    DSC 0496 - Just out of the fire! Hot Hot Hot