[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

What type of fish is in the middle of CaptiveReefs (top left corner of page...hint it is the main character in Finding Nemo) )

The REEF MONSTER MAGNETIC SHELF!!!!

Bookmark and Share
    CR Sponsor

Default The REEF MONSTER MAGNETIC SHELF!!!!

This is a truely limited edition product. This is the largest magnetic piece I have made. It is also a corner shelf. This will never be a stock item. This beast is 22" long. It will be part of a non photosynthetic reef. There is a second shelf drying right now. It is going into a 40 breeder. From one corner to the edge it is 17" long and 15" on the other side. It has five Sure Grip 100 magnets in it. It is the hardest magnetic piece I have ever made.

001 14 - The REEF MONSTER MAGNETIC SHELF!!!!
    002 13 - The REEF MONSTER MAGNETIC SHELF!!!!

And before anyone asks. I will not make a MONSTER REEF SHELF for under $250. I might make two for myself and if I never had to make another one I would be OK with that. I took on this project for the challenge. It really kicked my butt. But it is a gem.

CR Sponsor

Here is the top and bottom of the structure.

003 11 - The REEF MONSTER MAGNETIC SHELF!!!!
    004 17 - The REEF MONSTER MAGNETIC SHELF!!!!

CR Sponsor

OK, I had to see just how this baby would sit in a tank. Remember it is going into a 40 breeder. The LFS had a 75 gallon tank sitting open. It is a little thicker glass but not by much. Here is how it looked.

005 13 - The REEF MONSTER MAGNETIC SHELF!!!!
    006 10 - The REEF MONSTER MAGNETIC SHELF!!!!

Now we weight tested it.

001 15 - The REEF MONSTER MAGNETIC SHELF!!!!
    002 14 - The REEF MONSTER MAGNETIC SHELF!!!!

It held up under plenty of weight. In fact it didn't budge, we probably could have stacked more on it but I didn't want to risk a rock falling off and breaking the tank. So we stopped. We weighed how much rock was stacked on the shelf. Almost 15 pounds. And this is dry. So it would be even stronger under water.
    004 18 - The REEF MONSTER MAGNETIC SHELF!!!!

The name truely fits for this baby. MONSTER