[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

What is one of the colors on a clownfish? (hint there is a clownfish on the CR logo in the top left corner of the page.)

This weeks project.

Bookmark and Share
    CR Sponsor

Default This weeks project.

With frag plug season in full steam I am struggling to find time to sculpt. Here is this weeks custom structure. This is a short piece but it is pretty big. It is in the shape of a C. It was sculpted as one piece. Then divided into three.

It is about 22" across. I didn't measure it yet but I know it is pretty close to that. Still needs the final texturing and touch up.

007 5 - This weeks project.

006 6 - This weeks project.
    005 8 - This weeks project.
    004 11 - This weeks project.

jolson10450 - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Justin
    Awards Grow Out King Monthly Giveaway Winner Monthly Giveaway Winner

have you ever thought of fireing that clay, them making a 2 piece die to form around it then fire the die, then you can just pretty much pour some aggrocrete in the die to keep making your custom shapes? then just drilling the holes for your plugs?

CR Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by jolson10450 View Post
    have you ever thought of fireing that clay, them making a 2 piece die to form around it then fire the die, then you can just pretty much pour some aggrocrete in the die to keep making your custom shapes? then just drilling the holes for your plugs?
    No. That's not an option for us. These pieces are designed to be one of a kind. I have almost no intention to mass produce these. ( You can never say never, but right now that is the furthest thing from my mind. ) I believe that no two aquariums should look the same so I don't want any of my structures to look the same. Similar? At times. That is why I only make one of these bigger structures at a time. It gives me time to think about a new look for each piece. If I am just pounding them out they all start looking the same. Then it gets old, boring and redundant........you know like a job. Even though it is part of my job. It's still a fun part of it. I don't want to get burned out by it. One of the best parts of setting up a tank for me was the aquascaping. A lot of people either do not like it or have trouble aquascaping. So I like comming up with new looks. One thing leads to another. If you do the same thing over and over you'll never do anything new.

Scott

jolson10450 - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Justin
    Awards Grow Out King Monthly Giveaway Winner Monthly Giveaway Winner

Quote Originally Posted by gooch View Post
    No. That's not an option for us. These pieces are designed to be one of a kind. I have almost no intention to mass produce these. ( You can never say never, but right now that is the furthest thing from my mind. ) I believe that no two aquariums should look the same so I don't want any of my structures to look the same. Similar? At times. That is why I only make one of these bigger structures at a time. It gives me time to think about a new look for each piece. If I am just pounding them out they all start looking the same. Then it gets old, boring and redundant........you know like a job. Even though it is part of my job. It's still a fun part of it. I don't want to get burned out by it. One of the best parts of setting up a tank for me was the aquascaping. A lot of people either do not like it or have trouble aquascaping. So I like comming up with new looks. One thing leads to another. If you do the same thing over and over you'll never do anything new.

Scott
    good points! was just curious if it has ever came to mind.

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

Makes me want to rip the stuff out of my biocube and go with one of those. Each piece you post is better than the last!

CR Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by jimsflies View Post
    Each piece you post is better than the last!
    Shhhhhhh......dont say that. Then everyone will want to be put further down on the list. Just kidding. We just try to make what the customer wants.

Scott

CR Sponsor

Just wait until you see our Macna display this year. It should be an impressive display.

iyachtuxivm - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Jamie

your work is really nice! I made some aggrocrete stuff for my 75. I would love to do some ceramic stuff looks like so much fun. How do you combat air pockets and firing or is that a trade secret?
    "The beatings will continue until morale improves."

iyachtuxivm - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Jamie

Quote Originally Posted by gooch View Post
    Just wait until you see our Macna display this year. It should be an impressive display.
    oops forgot to add you really need to post some pics of that!
    "The beatings will continue until morale improves."

CR Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by iyachtuxivm View Post
    your work is really nice! I made some aggrocrete stuff for my 75. I would love to do some ceramic stuff looks like so much fun. How do you combat air pockets and firing or is that a trade secret?
    Lots of bull work. We get blow ups still. No process is ever perfect. But we've pretty much got the process down. I've been doing this stuff since 2004 pretty much every day. So we've had lots of practice and made lots of scrap.