PDA

View Full Version : Lemonade Love

ReeferRob
09-13-2010, 09:38 PM
What's your opinion on how to keep this beautiful coral happy and colorful. I have three separate frags all in the top 1/3 of the tank. All look completely different in color. Do they like it lower or higher etc.

XSiVE
09-13-2010, 09:48 PM
ive never heard of lemonade love, only thing close would be the tyree pink lemonade, but mine looks soooo different from briguy's and I got it from him. *shrug*

CalmSeasQuest
09-13-2010, 09:52 PM
I wish I knew, mine is top 1/3 (~425 PAR) and glow-in-the-dark hot pink with electric blue edges. Although it looks great, few would recognize it as it lost most of the underlying yellow color after a few weeks. I think it's mainly due to my LEDs. I'm going to try moving a bit lower and see what happens.

ReeferRob
09-13-2010, 10:06 PM
ive never heard of lemonade love, only thing close would be the tyree pink lemonade, but mine looks soooo different from briguy's and I got it from him. *shrug*

BINGO mine too, LOL. When I got it...well theres pics in the coral collector, but now looks bad with just about no color, but big wavy polyps.

I wish I knew, mine is top 1/3 (~425 PAR) and glow-in-the-dark hot pink with electric blue edges. Although it looks great, few would recognize it as it lost most of the underlying yellow color after a few weeks. I think it's mainly due to my LEDs. I'm going to try moving a bit lower and see what happens.

Sounds like what you have is pretty darn nice. I have one that is mustard yellow and green with kinda pinkish polyps, one almost all white and another that has the blue edge like you describe but a bit more yellow that the others.

Never taken PAR values of my tank, which one do you recommend I get?

XSiVE
09-13-2010, 10:11 PM
Mine is pretty much turning a pinkish color and im starting to see hints of green on the base, It's at about 350 PAR.

BriGuy's is at about 550-600 PAR with his current Halide.

BriGuy31+
09-17-2010, 07:33 PM
Like Ryan (XSiVE) said, I have mine just pounded with light. Also it's about 3" from my MP20(lots of flow). Hopefully it won't loose color with the switch to LEDs. Here is a picture of what it looks like now with MH. Is this average colors for the Lemonade?

http://i598.photobucket.com/albums/tt67/BriGuy31p/pinklemonade.jpg

CalmSeasQuest
09-18-2010, 09:27 AM
I'm also curious to see if/how it changes under LED. Here's my much smaller frag as it appeared 6 months ago when I purchased it.

http://i786.photobucket.com/albums/yy141/tconwell/SPS_Pink_Lemonade.jpg

It's since grown significantly, totally encrusted the plug. It's brighter pink and the edges have turned blue, but the underlying yellow color has been lost. (I'll grab a pic as soon as my son returns my DSLR.)

I've seen similar morphing take place with many SPS under LEDS. My reds tend to fade (red planet kept the green base but became pink planet) and although many of the pieces become brighter in overall color, they tend to lose some of the variations. Other change color entirely (ORA Borealis turned very bright yellow gold with even brighter blue tips.) I've also been experimenting with carbon dosing (Vinegar in Kalk/ATO) which has added another variable. Now, (with PAR meter in hand) I'm slowly regaining coloration.

I would expect you will end up lowering the amount of PAR (375~425 ) to maintain maximum coloration under LEDS. This is due in part to PAR meters under-estimating PAR by 10-15% due to their inability to accurately measure blue light.

XSiVE
09-27-2010, 02:59 PM
So I was in the tank today zapping some Majano's and I noticed top down my pink lemonade started to look more like it did in Brian's tank so I took a pic.

Im beginning to have some faith in this piece with its recent coloration.

Also Tom, sounds like Borealis under LED is a good piece to have :)

Here's my lemonade today.
http://ryanensminger.com/gallery/d/4924-1/pinklemonade2.jpg