PDA

View Full Version : Crabs, Urchins & Starfish Getting an arrow crab

m1a1fixer
07-30-2005, 01:33 PM
#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I'm going to be getting an arrow crab after work today to take care of the little red bugs in my tank. I've been told that these crab are great for getting rid of these bugs. Do any of you have experience with arrow crabs? If so, what's your opinion? #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#

dakar
07-30-2005, 11:00 PM
They are really cool and make for an interesting addition to your tank, we had one for about a year.... he did a great job on detritius and stuff, unfortunately his diet was a bit expensive as he seemed to prefer hermit crabs for dinner. Never heard of them eating the red bugs (assuming you mean the red acro bugs)

ewaitob
08-01-2005, 09:32 AM
#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Can they kill fairly large hermits. Say -- 3cms in size??#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#

dakar
08-01-2005, 02:36 PM
Dunno, guess it'd depend on how hungry he was. The ones he was feasting on were around 1-1.5cm. Not sure if this really normal behavior for them or not...

It sure was fun watching him run across the tank floor to grab'm and pop'm out their shells like a cork.... right up to the 3rd or 4th one when I realized what the hermits had just cost me.

ewaitob
08-01-2005, 03:39 PM
#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#You're a sick man :)#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#

jerryc
08-01-2005, 07:44 PM
Thea or not listed as reef safe but iv never tired one

m1a1fixer
08-02-2005, 12:11 AM
#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#About an hour after I got him in the tank I saw him rip apart one of those darn red bugs. It was great, too bad he hasn't off'ed more of them. I haven't seen him go after any of my crabs yet, but now that I know what yours did I'll keep an eye out for him doing that. Do you have any sugestions as to what the best way to take care of those bugs? I would rather not use a chemical solution. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#

carpenterwrasse
08-02-2005, 12:35 PM
mine had a taste for pepermint.....shrimps that is mine killed and ate eveyone of mine till he departed this world.

carpenterwrasse
08-02-2005, 12:36 PM
they say they are great for bristle worm control but of all the ones i had i think i saw maybe 2 worms being eaten

PhatBrdr427
08-03-2005, 01:12 AM
Yeah i have heard of them eating other things in tanks. I wouldnt get one personally just because of all the trouble i have heard about them with eating other things. not worth the money.

Castlesmadeofsand
08-04-2005, 11:22 AM
I heard they try to eat small fish too. Any #ed_op#SPAN class=postbody#ed_cl##ed_op#SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 12pt; FONT-FAMILY: 'Times New Roman'; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-ansi-language: EN-US; mso-fareast-language: EN-US; mso-bidi-language: AR-SA"#ed_cl#experiences #ed_op#/SPAN#ed_cl##ed_op#/SPAN#ed_cl#with that happening yet?#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#

PhatBrdr427
08-04-2005, 12:40 PM
I have heard that same exact thing too, about them eating small fish when they get bigger. seem slike more a nuisance than something to benefit. Just like a mantis shrimp.