PDA

View Full Version : Ann Arbor Reef Club Name change vote-

Sir Patrick
10-28-2010, 12:24 AM
We have had a couple ideas braught up as far as a better name for the group. Would like to get some input on this.

Ann Arbor Area Reef Club- AARC
Ann Arbor Area Reef Club- A2RC
Ann Arbor Area Reef Club- A2ARC
Ann Arbor Area Reef Club- AAARC
Ann Arbor Area Marine Aquarists- A2MA

I am leaning to- Ann Arbor Marine Aquarists- A2MA (thx clamseasquest) as it includes the FOWLR guys, and broadens the club, and I like the look.

I came up AARC initially, but am very flexible- and if there is a change, I would like to see it happen soon, before we get established as AARC.

Lets hear some opinions, or even other ideas!

jolson10450
10-28-2010, 05:07 AM
AAH RAM!

ann arbor hobbiest reef and marine!

vittleking
10-28-2010, 05:35 AM
I like the A2MA personally, for the same resons. Would be great to include more hobbyists.

jimsflies
10-28-2010, 05:54 AM
Anymore thought to Huron Valley Reef Club (or something along those lines....Huron Valley Marine Aquarists)?

Paulo
10-28-2010, 05:55 AM
AAARC or AAAAC-
Annarbor area reefclub or aquarium club. Aquarium club would be a little more inclusive of fresh water. Plus alphabetical listing would be one of the first. We definately should be ann arbor area AAA the rest not a big deal and i am flexible. It definately should be AnnArborArea. I dont want it to be just AnnArbor. My feeling when chris and I talked about this over a year ago was I want to stress that anyone can come and I think that If it was just AA would sound a little exclusive. Actually just usong the AA as a geogiaphical landmark.

jimsflies
10-28-2010, 06:17 AM
Broadening the geographical area was my thought "Huron Valley"...it encompasses a wide area...north to brighten, west to Jackson, and east to lake Erie.

MizTanks
10-28-2010, 06:27 AM
LMAS=Lower Michigan Aquarium Society?

CalmSeasQuest
10-28-2010, 06:49 AM
I prefer Ann Arbor Area Marine Aquarists- (A2AMA, AAAMA, A3MA.) Here are my thoughts,

I've never cared for being referred to as a "reefer", or our work product simply being referred to as an aquarium or "fish tank". Certainly no slight is intended toward freshwater or FOWLR folks, as the vast majority of us started there, eventually ending up with full-blown reefs.

In my mind, there is much more to planning/building and maintaining a successful reef tank than is typically inferred by the term reefer or fish tank. We combine multiple disciplines of engineering including electrical, mechanical, chemical, computer and networking - in addition to physics, fluid dynamics, biology...the list goes on.

Many of us spend considerable amounts of time, energy (and money) learning all that we can, often playing a roll in developing new procedures, products and best practices (i.e. look at the advancements made in the field of LED lighting - the vast majority of which were accomplished by hobbyists - not commercial providers.) We then take what we have learned and mentor those new to the hobby (obsession) along the way.

Paulo makes a valid point about the term Marine potentially excluding freshwater hobbyists. If that was a concern, you could always drop "Marine" and use Ann Arbor Area Aquarists (AAAA lands you a top spot in a phone book listing - not that I think it matters anymore.) I beleive Marine should be included in the name as it more accurately describes the vast majority of the expected content and interests of the participants.

That said, I consider myself a Marine Aquarist who happens to live in the Ann Arbor Area - hence my vote

jolson10450
10-28-2010, 06:54 AM
i actually like it just how we have it everywhere now. no abbreviation just simply A2 reef club

Coral Frenzy
10-28-2010, 07:15 AM
SEMAS - Southeast Michigan Aquarium Society

If you Google Southeast Michigan you will see maps that layout the areas that you are talking about.

There are a lot of clubs/societies that use SEM....Football, Tennis, Porsche, mustang owners club, etc.

Good luck

CalmSeasQuest
10-28-2010, 07:42 AM
Since we're "thinking out loud" - How about broadening the scope to include a much larger geographical area. i.e.

Michigan Marine Aquarists Association
Great Lakes Marine Aquarists Association
MidWest Marine Aquarists Association

Or some variation thereupon.

Here are a few considerations,

I think there may be a void that could be filled - There are other great organizations, such as MASM (to which I belong) however, much of their content focuses on breeding and sustainability. Both of which are hugely important, but perhaps a bit too focused for the masses.

Larger potential membership means larger potential revenue, driving more benefit to members. The ability to provide resources such as PAR meters, suction cups, or other specialty resources on loan or at minimal cost would be a significant benefit and draw.

We could also pursue MASNA affiliation (if desired.)

Engage Corporate/vendor sponsors - larger membership would attract more interest/support (Jim - huge ground floor opportunity here ;) )

Offer special recognition as a founding or charter member to those that help build the organization and or provide seed/start-up funds.

One of the drawbacks of a larger geographical area, is that distance makes it harder for many attend/participate. One solution is using Webinar technology. I have the ability to host live video/audio webinars for up 1000 simultaneous users. These types of technology, including streaming web cams, can be used to help include members in both educational and social functions.

Thoughts? - Sorry if this is waaay off track, and feel free to ignore - it's always been my nature to "upscale" things. ;)

jolson10450
10-28-2010, 07:51 AM
hvac

huron valley aquarium club lol

Sir Patrick
10-29-2010, 12:00 AM
I am really liking-

Marine Aquarists
Marine society
Marine association

Much better than reef club. I see lots of great ideas! Lets keep them coming! I would like to set up a poll, but we still have some members to here from. Hope they will chime in soon.

MizTanks
10-29-2010, 08:57 AM
To me all these suggestions are in reference to us being strictly a marine society. Is that what we are? There is already a MR. Why limit ourselves and others? Personally having experience in both FW and SW, I totally love having something to share in both worlds. I also would like to see us pull the two together with the abundance of knowledge here at CR. Hence my suggestion of, Michigan Aquarium Society :))

jolson10450
10-29-2010, 09:05 AM
AMMO!

Annarbor Michigan marine organization!

MizTanks
10-29-2010, 02:52 PM
To me all these suggestions are in reference to us being strictly a marine society. Is that what we are? There is already a MR. Why limit ourselves and others? Personally having experience in both FW and SW, I totally love having something to share in both worlds. I also would like to see us pull the two together with the abundance of knowledge here at CR. Hence my suggestion of, Michigan Aquarium Society :))

Oops I may be misunderstanding-this is a *club* and not really part of CR, right?

Rabidgoose
10-29-2010, 03:30 PM
LOL....yeah, I was going to say Miz, you have quite a drive to the monthly meetings.

Oops I may be misunderstanding-this is a *club* and not really part of CR, right?

Whatever you guys decide, I am looking forward to a club taking advantage of all the features available. It has surprised me from the start that it is not more used.
Anyway good luck deciding on a name GAAAAS...Greater Ann Arbor Area Aquarists Society........:eek:...:big_grin:

cephalotus
10-29-2010, 06:04 PM
I like AAAMA cause I live outside A2.

Sir Patrick
10-29-2010, 09:40 PM
Quick question-

AnnArbor area-

A2A
AA
A2
AAA

Which one?

Paulo
10-29-2010, 10:10 PM
I like AAA.

Fordris
11-14-2010, 08:52 PM
As for the name I personally have no preference just want to be apart of a good group of people :) as for making the club welcome FOWLR and other type of fish hobbyist i think that would be great it would open it up for more people and alot more info. i personally have 4 Salt tanks up(I have 2 FW tanks also) 1 85 gallon Mixed reef , 1 29 gallon FOWLR , 1 40 gallon Frag tank,1 55 gallon Eel tank with LR ( want to make it a soft coral tank as well once i get the right lighting for it) So i would also like to learn about others peoples tanks Even if its not a Reef tank.

BarkingShark
11-15-2010, 02:29 PM
AAARC Reef club - first choice. deriviatives of Reef owners, and AA area are subjective, which is great.

A2MA or A3MA, second - It sounds a bit doctoral, but humorous none the less.

Rook
11-15-2010, 05:01 PM
Why wouldn't you guys just be part of MASM? To the extent that MASM may not meet some members' needs / wants, it simply lack of time / volunteer hours; not desire. Would seem easier to help MASM meet your goals than to duplicate the formalities and corporate structure.

Hopkins
11-15-2010, 07:56 PM
Why would they want to join masm? They are starting their own club.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Paulo
11-15-2010, 08:14 PM
We are just forming a local club. I dont think we are going to be very organized. I thnk just a few guys in this area that will hang out and be able to help out in emergancy(move a tank or rescue). We are not trying to replace masm or any other club.

Sir Patrick
11-15-2010, 09:11 PM
^ I wouldnt say unorganized.....but definitely laid back. Takes quite a bit of organization to do what we are trying to put together for the club, handle the events/projects/get togethers, and put on an AnnArbor Area swap.

Rook- Thx for the offer! We considered branching off another club, but decided against it. We are looking to form a group of local reefers, to get together, go to shops, help in times of need, do some projects/DIY ytpe get togethers, and hold a frag swap throughout the year, locally.

You have a great group, but its just not what we are looking to do. We are looking to have a much more laid back club. We probly wont even end up charge for membership. Just activity/want to participate will most likely be what we ask to be part of the club.

If we do grow large enough, that joining a group might be needed, and there is a want from the club members to do so, we may consider becoming a satellite group with one of the larger, more formal, groups in michigan, but for know and the foreseeable future, we are going to see how what we are doing goes.

Thanks for the offer the offer, but for now, we are going to see where what we are doing takes us.

Corvette Reefer
11-20-2010, 01:28 PM
AMMO!

Annarbor Michigan marine organization!

I like this one chris!!! haha okay we need a real accronim like this one, not just random letters but a acual word like ammo, it makes it way better.

Corvette Reefer
11-20-2010, 01:37 PM
ALcoHOL: Annarbor Location HObby cLub
come on this one! haha try this website its perfect for coming up with one but i like this one the most, http://acronymcreator.net/ace.py