PDA

View Full Version : Tanks, Sumps & Refugiums 10 gal. Reef

ridetsu
08-03-2005, 08:01 PM
#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I am about to purchase a 10 Gallon to just use as a reef tank, and maybe have some small fish like a clown, and a starfish some shrimp. What will i need to have good clear water and good coral growth. What kinda lighting would be sufficient for that size tank. I am going to use live sand, live rock, and sea water.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#

dakar
08-04-2005, 10:04 AM
What type of coral are you planning to keep? Ideally, something like a 70w metal halide would provide enough light to keep just about anything, but a couple power compacts could do the job nicely without the extra heat. Of course a decent skimmer would be in order. Are you planning on running just the 10g or considering adding a sump to it as well?

We've got one setup in our daughters room, but that's mostly to be a fish only tank, and maybe some softies later.

PhatBrdr427
08-04-2005, 05:25 PM
Yeah, You would be better off cost wise ans heat wise if you were to stick with power compacts. They are cheaper as well to maintain and run which is another benefit.

ridetsu
08-06-2005, 10:10 PM
#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I have recently decided to hold back about a week or two to be able to get a 20 gallon tall. I Am going to intiallly get a tetra tek pf150 to use for now as a filter, and plan to upgrade to a 5 gallon or so sump. Where can i buy all the online parts to put a sump togeather. Also How many watts for power compact/MH lighting for 20gal. I really appreciate the help, I have a friend that is an aquatics expert at petco, he's helping me as well. Thanks. P.S. Is it ok to put live rock in right away, and should i get some with come coral already on it, or just bare live rock and let it do its thing?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#