PDA

View Full Version : Ann Arbor Reef Club Christmas Party/frag swap

vittleking
11-16-2010, 07:03 AM
Who would be down with meeting somewhere like a bar, restauraunt, or someones house even and having a little fish nerd get together. Possibly have a white elephant swap or something where everyone brings a frag. Might be fun.

jolson10450
11-16-2010, 07:23 AM
im down! as long as it is before christmas! i leave for arizona christmas day and don't come back until new years day.

jimsflies
11-16-2010, 07:48 AM
Possibly have a white elephant swap or something where everyone brings a frag. Might be fun.

Why do I see a bunch kenya trees and green star polyps in your futures? :)

jolson10450
11-16-2010, 07:55 AM
Why do I see a bunch kenya trees and green star polyps in your futures? :)

set a value, $20 minimum or something, we do a lottery/raffle, they all go into the pot, each person gets one ticket, when yours gets drawn you pick which you want.

John
11-16-2010, 08:16 AM
I'm down. The bar I work at has been wondering when I was going to have a reefer related party. The owners said we can use the hall area for a swap also.

Hof-Brau, in fraser. If anyone wants to check it out and see if this would be a good place to do it.

jolson10450
11-16-2010, 08:20 AM
I'm down. The bar I work at has been wondering when I was going to have a reefer related party. The owners said we can use the hall area for a swap also.

Hof-Brau, in fraser. If anyone wants to check it out and see if this would be a good place to do it.

yeah but john this is for the a3rc and thats no where near ann arbor. otherwise, good idea!

bigbill
11-16-2010, 08:34 AM

maybe we can get one going for are part of town as i am close to fraser so are a lot of otheres

vittleking
11-16-2010, 01:25 PM
frenchies next to side track if free to rent if we could get enough people. The raffle idea is cool, but the white elephant might be fun, especially when you throw in some kenya or gsp like Jim said. Just something to have some fun with. Not about expensive corals or gifts, but just get some fish nerds together, have a few cold ones, and have some fun. I could bring a nice zoo frag or colony of whammin watermelons. Jim, I have a special kenya tree just for you though buddy LOL.

cephalotus
11-16-2010, 01:28 PM
Sounds like fun I like hangin with the fish nerds.:fishbones:

bigbill
11-16-2010, 08:34 PM
i might be even down to drive to there to party with fish nerds

Sir Patrick
11-16-2010, 10:18 PM
LOL!! This is exactly what i was thinking!

Frenchys sounds cool, but i am looking at a spot right now, and working on drink/eats discounts, and possibly a private room. If not a private room, definitly a privatish area.

What do you guys think about a secret santa frag exchange????

jolson10450
11-16-2010, 11:35 PM
LOL!! This is exactly what i was thinking!

Frenchys sounds cool, but i am looking at a spot right now, and working on drink/eats discounts, and possibly a private room. If not a private room, definitly a privatish area.

What do you guys think about a secret santa frag exchange????

i think anything would be cool, we could even do poker, frag payouts!

have a tournament and everyone puts in a coral roughly valued at $20. say we get 10 people to play, the winner will take 5 pieces, 2nd place will take 3 pieces, third place will take 2 pieces, the first place winnter has choice out, then the 2nd, then the 3rd!

ive always wanted to do this at christmas time with my family but with gift cards, i think it would be something fun to do. if ya got first place you would win 5x $20 gift cards to various places, just a little fun and enjoyment with still keeping it exciting in the holiday season!

not a huge fan of the place but by my house they have a chinese buffet, it has a free party room for 10+ people parties, not sure if they discount food but it is a buffet so it is all you can eat and they do serve beer last time i remember and sushi and american foods. i don't know if there is something like this out in A2 or not.

vittleking
11-17-2010, 05:34 AM
Jolson's idea sounds cool, I'm down for the poker thing for sure. If we do the secret santa thing, we could do the poker thing also. If we end up doing it at someones house or a hall or something, I could help with the vittles.

kane720
11-17-2010, 08:34 AM
this would be cool also we could try to make this our first meeting. i don't peeps end up meeting at the swap i had to leave early. so i would be nice to meet people in the group.

stunreefer
11-17-2010, 09:29 AM
I would be totally down for the bar meet up :D

My roomate is the assistant brewmaster at Grizzley Peak (http://www.grizzlypeak.net/) downtown AA, and my one of my best friends is the brewmaster of Wolverine Beer (http://www.wolverinebeer.com/) on Stadium in AA. We could hit either one of those and definietly get nice discounts. There would be no issues with people bringing frags to trade/giveaway... personally I'll pass on that aspect but I'm always down to talk reefing with people, makes me not feel like such a nerd when people can (semi) understand what comes out of my mouth ;)

cephalotus
11-20-2010, 03:35 PM
Discount beer sounds like a winner to me.:big_grin:

My roomate is the assistant brewmaster at Grizzley Peak (http://www.grizzlypeak.net/) downtown AA, and my one of my best friends is the brewmaster of Wolverine Beer (http://www.wolverinebeer.com/) on Stadium in AA. We could hit either one of those and definietly get nice discounts. There would be no issues with people bringing frags to trade/giveaway... personally I'll pass on that aspect but I'm always down to talk reefing with people, makes me not feel like such a nerd when people can (semi) understand what comes out of my mouth ;)

Corvette Reefer
11-21-2010, 01:49 PM
yeah that would be pretty cool to have!

vittleking
11-21-2010, 02:03 PM

welll maybe you can check on that this week for us and we can get the ball rolling.

Sir Patrick
11-21-2010, 05:18 PM
I was working on a private room at Creekside, where the whole annarbor swap started, along with the idea of a reef club. Was working on a special menu and beer prices with the boss. The owner was a little bummed to hear we werent holding the swap there for the 3rd year in a row.

I do like the idea of the wolverine bar, over on stadium. I have been meaning to check it out.

Any ideas on a good date? Or dates that wont work for everyone? I am thinking a sunday evening would probly be best. Any ideas?

BarkingShark
11-21-2010, 06:50 PM
I'm in! Pending day of course. Sunday's are a good choice generally. Down the road it'd be fun to see various peoples set-ups and do a rotation from house to house (those interested in hosting, that is, which I'd be game for sometime). But with the holiday's here, the bar options sound good.

-Chris

MizTanks
11-21-2010, 07:12 PM
I'm in if someone can pick me up!

Sent from my iPhone while chasing Forest Gump!

CrabbyCorals
11-30-2010, 07:00 PM
I am in and I like Justins poker idea.

vittleking
11-30-2010, 07:04 PM
How about sat. 12/18 or sun. 12/19? Lets get this going. The poker idea sounds like a lot of fun to me also. If we do Sunday afternoon/evening it will probly be alot easier to get space at a bar. So lets get the ball rolling, get a set date and we will work on finding somewhere to meet up. The corner brewery in Ypsi is pretty large and would probly work as a last resort. I'm not big on the beer snob bars, I'm more of a liquor guy but anything works for me.

jolson10450
11-30-2010, 08:00 PM
whatever works for me! i prefer not the 19th though thats me and the gfs 2 year dating and she would shoot me lol! but yeah the poker idea would be fun! i can bring the chips and help direct the tournament, i got an app on my phone that is a poker director app, has what the blinds will be, what chip values are (eventhough most chips say what they are) and you can set what you want the blinds to be and how long before they go up etc... pretty neat little app. just let me know when i dont care wear ill drink beer, not a fan of liquor though, that stuff gets me drunk to fast because i never drink it lol! we need like some board directors to organize things like this and get things planned and going, i prefer someone local to the clubs central location (A2) that way they can find places to meet etc..

lets get this going though!

vittleking
11-30-2010, 08:05 PM
ok start throwing some dates out guys! What works for you. Any other ideas on how to get this together will help too. If we make it on an off night, we can probly get Frenchies next to sidetrack for free. Beer, liquor, and good grub.

So I guess we will need to know:

1) Who's going for sure
2) What date works for people
3) What frag/frags are we bringing?
4) Where you guys want to do this shindig

Sir Patrick
11-30-2010, 10:31 PM
I have a room, on any given sunday reserved for us at Creekside, or just a big section in the bar, depending on how many show. Very quick/easy on/off of the freeway-

5827 Jackson Road
Ann Arbor, MI 48103-9573
(734) 827-2737

I will be there for sure- on a sunday.

I work double shifts friday and saturday- so as long as its a sunday, I will surely be there!

What do you guys think- 6pm till ????

I just found out what white elephant is! Sounds like a blast! Could be alot of fun with frags. Sounds like alot of fun!

vittleking
12-01-2010, 05:37 AM
the white elephant would be cool, but I kinda dig the poker idea. I'm cool with what the majority wants to do though. Creekside would work, Sunday the 5th would be good for me. The wife works every other weekend. I can always try to find someone to watch him though. Even if we get 4 or 5 people together, it will be fun to play some cards and BS over a few cold ones.

jolson10450
12-01-2010, 06:47 AM
yeah this sunday the 5th or the 12th im good, if we have to move it to the 2nd of january i am fine with that as well. and im in for whatever, i just won't be able to make it the 19th.

the poker idea is nice and fun and you get to relax and enjoy playing a game but the white elephant everyone will leave with something and that is what like about it. i know we are mostly guys so assuming most of us know how to play poker but if some don't then that makes the poker idea go out the window.

maybe start a new thread with a "first get together vote" for the club so we can see what dates people would be available and go from there.

Mike
12-02-2010, 11:06 PM
Good for the 12th for sure

Sir Patrick
12-02-2010, 11:09 PM
So far- the 12th is good for all that replied. Any more people want to chime in???

vittleking
12-03-2010, 06:23 AM
I have to cook at our unions christmas party on the 12th but should be able to make it on time, maybe a little late. We could always do the white elephant, and just do a $5 buy in poker or something like that.

jolson10450
12-03-2010, 07:12 AM
I have to cook at our unions christmas party on the 12th but should be able to make it on time, maybe a little late. We could always do the white elephant, and just do a $5 buy in poker or something like that.

not to sure of the legalities of having poker bets for money at a bar/restaurant though if we did that. it doesn't matter to me which just let me know!

kane720
12-05-2010, 04:56 PM
ahhh.....man my son's b-day party on the 12th so can't make it. hopefully we can get a get together going after the holidays. the sunday evening thing is great i get off of work at 5 on sundays. also the poker thing would be awesome, i havn't played a good poker game in a while.

cephalotus
12-05-2010, 04:59 PM
So it is the 12th but did you decide on Creekside?

2pairs
12-05-2010, 06:26 PM
I haven't been on line much for a couple of weeks and just found this today. I think it will be great to get this started. unfortunately Sun the 12th is the grand sons b-day and won't work for me.
I think if we wait until after new years we will get a much better turn out, with the holidays we are all a little bit busier than normal.
I have a suggestion about the first meeting, keep it simple and have a meet and great with a discussion on ware we would like it to go from their.
Maybe even choose leaders and what not, and of course it would be a good time to setup some dates for the next few meetings.
Well that's my thoughts.

CalmSeasQuest
12-05-2010, 10:23 PM
I penciled in the 12th, but am flexible.

jolson10450
12-06-2010, 06:15 AM
maybe we just skip the white elephant thing and just pick a sunday after new years and do the poker thing? everyone will be done with their family things and business of the holidays and like someone said i think we would get a better turn out. i also cannot make the 12th anymore, i have to meet at ford on sunday for an install, first sunday i have ever worked at my company.

vittleking
12-06-2010, 06:45 AM
I'm down with that, I don't see anything coming together by Sunday anyways.

Sir Patrick
12-06-2010, 03:07 PM
Sorry guys- between work and internet being unstable, I have not been on in a few days....

looks like the 12th is out. Sounds like the sunday after new years would be our best bet!

Anyone have any forseeable issues as to that sunday now working?

cephalotus
12-06-2010, 03:15 PM
You think it would be easier to get a bunch of fish nerds together.:big_grin:

Sir Patrick
12-06-2010, 06:16 PM
^ Nobody said "Free Frags!!!!" yet...lol! That would make it easier!

BarkingShark
12-06-2010, 09:31 PM
In pending day time. After NYE ends my chance of frags for my stocking though...dang!

CrabbyCorals
12-07-2010, 07:05 AM
Okay sorry to sound cofused but I hear people talking about the "first meeting". Are we starting a new organization of reefers?

jolson10450
12-07-2010, 07:24 AM
Okay sorry to sound cofused but I hear people talking about the "first meeting". Are we starting a new organization of reefers?

yep the a2 area reef club. technically the first one could be considered at the swap but we want something more official and more down to the point of the club rather than just saying hi at the swaps.

2pairs
12-07-2010, 07:37 AM

That is what I had thought this was, but I am starting to wonder their is more talk of bars and poker than reefing. Don't get me wrong I am all in favor or having a good time but if starting a reefing club shouldn't the actual starting of it come first. If it is not why call it one why not just have a get together and have fun?
(just my thoughts)

jolson10450
12-07-2010, 07:39 AM
That is what I had thought this was, but I am starting to wonder their is more talk of bars and poker than reefing. Don't get me wrong I am all in favor or having a good time but if starting a reefing club shouldn't the actual starting of it come first. If it is not why call it one why not just have a get together and have fun?
(just my thoughts)

+1 on that idea. i think we need to get together and put a few people in charge of things like setting up meetings, when we want to get a swap together who will do the raffles or whatever, someone in charge of scheduling dates to meet etc....

2pairs
12-07-2010, 10:37 AM
That is exactly what I meant.
It is good to have someone on the same page.

CrabbyCorals
12-07-2010, 11:31 AM
yep the a2 area reef club. technically the first one could be considered at the swap but we want something more official and more down to the point of the club rather than just saying hi at the swaps.

I am asuming this is my closest option for a reefing club living in Plymouth?

jolson10450
12-07-2010, 11:33 AM
I am asuming this is my closest option for a reefing club living in Plymouth?

probably, lansing is further, its closest for me but i am still 45 mins from ann arbor lol

vittleking
12-08-2010, 06:25 PM
we are just starting out, and haven't gotten that far. I was thinking it would be fun to get some fish nerds together and hang out, but if you guys want to make it all formal and chit thats fine also. Guess I'm not as seriously into this as some, I just wanna have fun and enjoy the hobby.

jolson10450
12-09-2010, 06:34 AM
we are just starting out, and haven't gotten that far. I was thinking it would be fun to get some fish nerds together and hang out, but if you guys want to make it all formal and chit thats fine also. Guess I'm not as seriously into this as some, I just wanna have fun and enjoy the hobby.

i think it is more of just figuring it all out the first meeting, then thereafter it should be fun. it's like we need to just get the basics out of the way first then we can have fun and enjoy it. but i think the first one should be who is going to be doing what, what our goals are. what we intend to do in the future etc and we can all work together to try to accomplish these while still having some fun.

Sir Patrick
12-09-2010, 11:50 PM
I forsee a great time!!!

Jim- (2pairs) I will give ya a call this weekend. been meaning to touch base with ya!

creefer
12-10-2010, 09:24 AM
Are we confirmed for the second of January?

CrabbyCorals
12-10-2010, 08:50 PM

I am with you buddy....but I am voting to put you in charge as president :)

vittleking
12-11-2010, 05:49 AM
not a chance Jay LOL. Too much on my plate with representing 250 people at work. I'd prefer more of a santa's elf type roll LOL. I will help with stuff but I'm still learning, and pretty busy keeping up with my work already.

Sir Patrick
12-11-2010, 02:38 PM
How does jan 2 sound to everyone? Start at 6pm or so till ????

jolson10450
12-11-2010, 03:10 PM
thats good for me, ill be back from arizona that friday the 31st so i can make it that sunday.

grorie
12-17-2010, 06:39 PM
If Jan 2 is still the plan, count me in. I don't have any frags to swap, but I am looking forward to meeting everyone and making some connections. I could use a new set of fish friends and get some fish support if needed and vis versa!

BarkingShark
12-17-2010, 07:38 PM
I'm in for Jan 2nd.
-Chris

SaltCreeps
12-17-2010, 07:44 PM
i would also be down for this, i have several frags to bring that way if some newbies show the dont leave empty handed.... tiss the season

Sir Patrick
12-17-2010, 11:18 PM
Sounds like the second is good then!!

Paulo
12-18-2010, 10:24 PM
I'll be there.

kane720
12-19-2010, 08:36 AM
i should be able to make it on the second also

vittleking
12-19-2010, 09:33 AM
my wife works. I will try to get a babysitter though.

BarkingShark
12-29-2010, 07:58 PM
I'm in, sounds good.

Recap: 6pm the 2nd, casual for now, ideally apoint a position or two to expedite future mtgs, a nomination for Sir Patrick as pres., and bring a frag (prefferably Kenya Trees-kidding). Is that all correct?

Questions: Where?...I totally can't find that part. I'm in for bringing a frag, just verifying that's on- sounds fun. Sir Patrick....as presedent-nominee I guess I'll ask you :)

-Chris

vittleking
12-29-2010, 08:24 PM
yeah, where are we going to meet up? I think I'm going to have to bring my "frag", Mom works. I second Chris as president, the artist formerly known as Paulo deserves a nomination also IMO. Let me know where and I'll try to make it.

Sir Patrick
12-29-2010, 08:28 PM
5827 Jackson Road
Ann Arbor, MI 48103-9573
(734) 827-2737

6pm till whenever!

Lets get some ideas for club direction, talk reefs, get to know each other, ect!

Bring a frag- of whatever, if you would like to participate in a freindly random blind swap, bring a frag! I will be participating in this one! Always fun!

MizTanks
12-29-2010, 09:12 PM
I'm in if someone wants to pick me U.P. ;)

There is nothing like being a REEFER!

vittleking
01-01-2011, 10:36 AM
Turns out I will not be able to make it. I have a funeral to attend. Sorry guys. A good friends Grandmother passed and I can't make the funeral on Monday, so I will have to make the visitation and it's Sunday evening. I'm kinda bummed, but have to be there. Hope yall understand.

CalmSeasQuest
01-01-2011, 02:44 PM
Cindi and I are planning on stopping by - Likely can't stay too long as it's her Birthday.

creefer
01-01-2011, 08:47 PM
Looks like I will not make it. I hope you all have a great time and look forward to another opportunity to meet you all.

jolson10450
01-01-2011, 10:59 PM
can't make it now guys, got to much runnin around to do because i just got home from vacation, lets try for sale time next month maybe for a second meet?

is there absentee ballets? haha

Sir Patrick
01-02-2011, 12:22 AM
Im still there. Anyone else?

Paulo
01-02-2011, 06:59 AM
I still planning to drink a fewbeers.

vittleking
01-02-2011, 09:13 AM
I am bummed I can't make it, sorry guys.

CalmSeasQuest
01-02-2011, 09:54 AM
We're going to be in A2 anyway, so we're still in for a couple evening cocktails :)

Sir Patrick
01-02-2011, 12:24 PM
Vittleking- Sorry to hear about your losses. No worries.

I will see everyone there!

Sir Patrick
01-02-2011, 03:51 PM
Just ask for Chris group- in the bar, at the host stand. We will be there!

BarkingShark
01-02-2011, 04:24 PM
In

cephalotus
01-02-2011, 07:00 PM
Couldnt make it had to take my daughter home. How did it go?

kane720
01-03-2011, 08:01 AM
sorry i couldn't make it either. i was sick *** ****, and still feel like crap. hopefully this went well and there will be another one next month

Sir Patrick
01-03-2011, 11:14 AM
Last night was a good time! Had alot of fun hanging out, and talking reef stuff with everyone!

Also- There were many great ideas as far as club direction.

Thx Barkingshark, williamsejames, calmseasquest, paulo, and corvette reefer for making the first meet a success! Looking forward to the next one!

Hope to see more faces at the next one, but of course, no hard feelings to those that couldnt make it! Better luck next time!

CalmSeasQuest
01-03-2011, 03:03 PM
Thanks for putting this together Chris (and for the Blasto!) Cindi and I enjoyed meeting everyone and the conversation. Looking forward to a lot of great things!

creefer
01-03-2011, 03:10 PM
I'm really bummed that I had to miss last night. I hope to meet you all soon.