PDA

View Full Version : Need help with ID of Unknown Hitchhiker

Wy Renegade
11-17-2010, 02:50 AM
Need some help, I seem to have an unknown hitchhiker. This morning, my frag was sitting in the sandbed, by this afternoon, it looked like this;
http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii7/rowlandr/School%20Tanks/20%20Long%20Reef/Hitchhickers/Nov%202010/UnknownTankoccupant16Nov2010.jpg

I know the picture isn't real clear, but it is in a hard to get position. The frag and rubble were attached to the larger rock.

I know I have a pistol shrimp in the tank, but never heard of them gluing or webbing rock particles together.

Anybody have any idea what type of critter might do this?

Tom@HaslettMI
11-17-2010, 08:39 AM
Sorry but I can't really tell what's going on in the pic. My guess would be some type of worm... but such a general statement isn't very helpful. I would suggest either pulling the webbing appart to see if you can spot the responsible party and/or try shining the area at night. Please keep up posted.

Tom

Wy Renegade
11-17-2010, 09:59 AM
Thanks Tom, you're the second person who suggested a worm. I did pull the webbing apart, but found nothing. Based on the frag plug size, that must be a mighty big worm. Guess I'm going on a worm hunt.

stunreefer
11-17-2010, 10:22 AM
More than likely a Eunicid worm. They create little "tunnels" of sorts by using mucus to stick things together. Other worms can do this as well, but these are the most common we experience.