PDA

View Full Version : the start of my DIY skimmer

youngtimothy
11-23-2010, 02:42 PM
I started making a skimmer today, It will be a while before I finish it but I had some stock and time so what the heck! I got the skimmer cup done, still thinking about the body. the cup will be pushed into the body and sealed by the O-rings

http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p285/youngtimothy/DSC09444.jpg

http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p285/youngtimothy/DSC09446.jpg

ReeferRob
11-23-2010, 02:46 PM
Awesome stuff man, glad to see you back hangin around CR again. I was wondering where you've been!

Im gonna stay tuned to this one for sure. Been thinking about attempting this sort of thing because I cant find a quality affordable cone style skimmer that will fit the foot print I want.

youngtimothy
11-23-2010, 02:53 PM
thanks, I here every day two or three times I just havent posted much. I would like to do a cone but I cant find cone tubing and bending my own might turn out to be costly. i'm going to do a bubble plate in the bottom of the body for sure, thats how this all started I made one for my octopuss then thought why not make the whole thing!

Sir Patrick
11-23-2010, 11:28 PM
That looks INCREDIBLE!!!! Real nice and pro!

ReeferRob
11-24-2010, 09:31 AM
thanks, I here every day two or three times I just havent posted much. I would like to do a cone but I cant find cone tubing and bending my own might turn out to be costly. i'm going to do a bubble plate in the bottom of the body for sure, thats how this all started I made one for my octopuss then thought why not make the whole thing!

Glad to hear it man.

As for the cone, I think it's easier than you think. Listen to me talk, giving advice to someone else on how to do something I've never done and probably won't. LOL Just dreaming of someone who will make me one with a foot print less than 7"

Sending you a PM, don't want to post the link here!

youngtimothy
12-02-2010, 03:40 PM
Ok I made a cone body today, not the greatest but it will work! I did learn a lot!!! first shaping the plexy glass is not hard, heat gun doesnt work very well, and you need to have a good form! Reefer Rob guided me to the form Idea (thanks) first I laid out my blank which has an 8" dia bottom and a 3.5" dia top and is 21" tall. I cut it with a jig saw (note to self make cut close to perfect next time). then I made a form out of some kind of teflon. next time I think I'll try some laminate, deffinatly something different. then tried the heat gun. bad Idea! next I used the oven, I did this a work and we have a large dehydration oven. set the temp at 400 f and put it in. as the temp rose to about 250f it got very flexible, about an hour. I was able to roll it up and stick it in the form then let it cool. done!!!

http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p285/youngtimothy/IMG00064-20101202-1223.jpg

http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p285/youngtimothy/IMG00065-20101202-1337.jpg

http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p285/youngtimothy/IMG00066-20101202-1338.jpg

Sir Patrick
12-02-2010, 05:14 PM
This is going to be awsome! Glad ya decided to do a cone!

cwade
12-02-2010, 05:20 PM
awesome start im staying tuned

youngtimothy
12-03-2010, 02:49 PM
I finished more parts today, all I need now is to glue it, get a pump and figure out the in take and outlet. sorry about the pictures they're from my blackberry.

http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p285/youngtimothy/IMG00071-20101203-1527.jpg

http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p285/youngtimothy/IMG00070-20101203-1526.jpg

http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p285/youngtimothy/IMG00068-20101203-1520.jpg

http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p285/youngtimothy/IMG00069-20101203-1520.jpg

http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p285/youngtimothy/IMG00067-20101203-1519.jpg

Poseidon
12-03-2010, 03:09 PM
Looks very good, but I think you are going to need a BIGGER cup.

What is the height of cone, and the neck diameter?

youngtimothy
12-03-2010, 03:33 PM
Looks very good, but I think you are going to need a BIGGER cup.

What is the height of cone, and the neck diameter?

you are correct! I made the cup before any thing else then change my mind on the body so I will make another.

the cone is 8 1/2" diameter on the bottom and 3 1/2 on top 21" tall
it wont fit in my cabinet so I will be useing it on my frag / grow out tank in the basement when I get it all done, I just started this in my brain then made it, then measured sometimes that just don't work! LOL

Poseidon
12-03-2010, 03:43 PM
Having a 3.5" neck is going to limit the amount of air you can put into the skimmer. Cone skimmers are in effect "all neck" as they produce VERY little turbulence.

Also, if you haven't glued anything up yet, then I might suggest a change in the bubble plate. For a cone skimmer, if you make a bubble ring, with an area in the middle for water to come back down you will further decrease turbulence. Check out the pictures of the Warner Marine K2, and the new ATI cone type skimmer, they both use this type of bubble plate.

I am guessing that a 5" neck might be more appropriate, and allow use of a better skimmer type pump. There is a Sicce 2500 up at the shop (Reef Paradise) if you want to put your hands on one to see size etc. There are Sedra skimmer pumps and also the new Sicce that might work out as well.

I would go for an Air draw of around 1000LPH of air to make a truly effective skimmer. This would be WAY to much for the current neck diameter though, at 3.5" it would be a foam cannon.

youngtimothy
12-03-2010, 04:32 PM
Having a 3.5" neck is going to limit the amount of air you can put into the skimmer. Cone skimmers are in effect "all neck" as they produce VERY little turbulence.

Also, if you haven't glued anything up yet, then I might suggest a change in the bubble plate. For a cone skimmer, if you make a bubble ring, with an area in the middle for water to come back down you will further decrease turbulence. Check out the pictures of the Warner Marine K2, and the new ATI cone type skimmer, they both use this type of bubble plate.

I am guessing that a 5" neck might be more appropriate, and allow use of a better skimmer type pump. There is a Sicce 2500 up at the shop (Reef Paradise) if you want to put your hands on one to see size etc. There are Sedra skimmer pumps and also the new Sicce that might work out as well.

I would go for an Air draw of around 1000LPH of air to make a truly effective skimmer. This would be WAY to much for the current neck diameter though, at 3.5" it would be a foam cannon.

thanks, lots to think about! I can always cut this one down for a 5" neck then it would fit in my display tank.
I kind of put the cart in front of the horse but its been fun!

Sir Patrick
12-03-2010, 11:34 PM
^ alot to think about indeed! Take your time. cant wait to see this one happen!

By the way....I would really like to be first in line to test one out on my tank, after you of course!!!

Poseidon
12-04-2010, 10:06 AM
Yes, you could cut that down to 5" for sure, maybe even a little more then that. Did you find those bubble rings?

Werdlone
12-04-2010, 05:45 PM
Great build!! When looking in to pumps..the sicce psk 2500 is a good reliable pump, but there is the new bubble blaster pump that looks to have better numbers?? Can't wait to see how this one works out.

cephalotus
12-04-2010, 06:05 PM
Lookin forward to seeing this thing fired up.

youngtimothy
12-05-2010, 08:13 AM
Yes, you could cut that down to 5" for sure, maybe even a little more then that. Did you find those bubble rings?

yes I looked at them but I need a better picture to see how it works.

thanks every one!

gar732
12-10-2010, 08:24 PM
Nice build. I'm currently working on a cone skimmer of my own. I started a thread, check it if you get a chance. How did you cut the grooves in the collection cup? Can't wait to see more.

youngtimothy
02-03-2011, 11:31 AM
sorry I havent looked at this thread in a little while. I have not done anything new to it lately. all the grooves where done on a bridgeport mill. most of the stuff was done on a mill or a lathe.

djbetterly
09-16-2012, 08:20 PM
So I take it you have your own mill? I have been wanting to build myself a skimmer for my solana 34, I don't have much space and no one seems to make a skimmer that works well enough. I would love to know more about how you're designing and building your unit.

youngtimothy
09-16-2012, 08:43 PM
So I take it you have your own mill? I have been wanting to build myself a skimmer for my solana 34, I don't have much space and no one seems to make a skimmer that works well enough. I would love to know more about how you're designing and building your unit.

Yes I do have my own mill, but I made this on a different one. I just did most of this in my head. I still haven't assembled it, haven't had much time to work on hobby things!

binford4000
09-16-2012, 09:00 PM
Very cool stuff ! If you mount the pump internal you could just mount the bubble plate to the discharge directly like the bubble king mini does and drill a hole to stick the inlet thru. Allot of the space savers use rubber seal like the euro reefs did.the only part out is the Venturi and air line and muffler. Are you planing a gate valve or needle valve to adjust the water height ?.. Looks great and very creative !! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

youngtimothy
09-17-2012, 04:45 PM
Very cool stuff ! If you mount the pump internal you could just mount the bubble plate to the discharge directly like the bubble king mini does and drill a hole to stick the inlet thru. Allot of the space savers use rubber seal like the euro reefs did.the only part out is the Venturi and air line and muffler. Are you planing a gate valve or needle valve to adjust the water height ?.. Looks great and very creative !! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

I was planning a gate valve. I haven't done anything with this in a while because I don't want to spend the money on a pump. It's going on a frag tank but I need lights to.