PDA

View Full Version : Breeding Journal: Neopomacentrus bankieri

ReefSolutions
12-16-2010, 09:33 AM
<!-- BEGIN TEMPLATE: formoutput -->

Breeding Journal DataSheet

This first post should be updated regularly to include new information as events take place
or changes are made to your system

General
Species: Neopomacentrus bankieri (lyretail damsel)
Social Structure: colony of 18 individuals
Size of Individuals: female 3inches, males slightly smaller
Age of Individuals: <1 year
Date added to Tank: 7/28/10

Broodstock Tank Details
Size of Tank: 40 gallon
Substrate Details: 2 inches of hawaiian black aragalive
Filtration Details: tank part of a 1,100 gallon fish system, 300 gallon sump filter, ozone, protein skimmer, moving sandbed filter
Water Changes: 80 gallons a week
Water Temperature: 76
Lighting: fish need it 36 inch fixture, one white bulb, one blue bulb
Lighting Cycle: 11 am to 7 pm
Other Tank Inhabitants: blochii tang, 5 tomato clowns, black blenny

Broodstock Feeding Details
Food Types: pellet, flake, frozen.
Feeding Schedule: 3 times a day

Spawning Details
Date of First Spawn: unknown
Spawn Time of Day: unknown
Dates of Consecutive Spawns: unknown
Courtship Details: unknown
Egg Size: 1mm
Egg Color: silver clear
Egg Count: 2,000 plus

Hatch Details
Hatch Date: 12/14/10 and 12/15/10
Hatch Time of Day: night
# Days after Spawn: unknown
Larvae Description: super tiny clear with silver eyes,

Larval Tank Details
Temperature: 74.8
Size of Larval Tank: 30 gallon
Substrate Details: bare bottom
Other Tank Decor: air stone
Filtration Details: none
Lighting: power compact
Lighting Cycle: 11 am -7pm
Water Changes: none as of yet

Larval Feeding Details
Food Types: rotifers
Feeding Schedule: 2 unfiltered foam drinking cups of rotifers fed rotigrow +

Metamorphosis/Settlement
Date of Settlement Start:
Days after Hatch:
Date of Settlement End:
Description of Fry:

Grow-Out Tank Details
Temperature:
Size of Grow-Out Tank:
Substrate Details:
Other Tank Decor:
Filtration Details:
Lighting:
Lighting Cycle:
Water Changes:
Size at Transfer:
Age at Transfer:

Grow-Out Feeding Details
Food Types:
Feeding Schedule:

Additional Information
Miscellaneous Information: http://i1021.photobucket.com/albums/af336/reefsolutions/IMG_2071-1.jpg

http://i1021.photobucket.com/albums/af336/reefsolutions/IMG_2068-1.jpg
<!-- END TEMPLATE: formoutput -->

ReefSolutions
12-16-2010, 10:11 AM
Tuesday i went to work and checked on the eggs. still there still clear with silver eyes. when i lifted the rock the water seemed rather cold.i checked the heater to see if was functioning properly, uh. .no. the dang thing blew up on me! shattered right in half. the third one of a same brand. :mad:. rust floating everywhere. so in the garbage it went, and i started to do a water change and looked in the bucket real close to check and make sure i wasn't dumping out any babies. surprise! babies. they were about 1 and a half mm in length super clear super small. all clear bodies except the black eyes. the water change went really slow. foam cup by foam cup. got a new heater but only had the same brand available:-|, put carbon in the tank.
Yesterday morning i came in to check on the babies and feed the clarkii babies. i seen an adult damsel pop out of the rock and pop back in again. it hasn't been fed since sunday morning, so i think it's been eating some of the babies. i take it out and put it back in it's normal tank. i cam back to check on the babies again about 8pm last night and seen another adult fly out of the rock and back in. sigh. i assume this was the parent pair since they were in one of the rocks with the eggs on it. put the fish back with the rock. all the eggs were wither hatched or eaten.:angelsad: i looked for several minutes trying to see if i sould find any babies. no luck. i'm keeping my fingers crossed and hoping i may still have a few left. i found a deseased baby floating on the top of the water and took it and the microscope home to take some pics of it so i have proof that the eggs did hatch. i couldn't get the thing into one picture so it's a head shot, belly, then tail shot.

http://i1021.photobucket.com/albums/af336/reefsolutions/Picture001-1.jpg
http://i1021.photobucket.com/albums/af336/reefsolutions/Picture002.jpg
http://i1021.photobucket.com/albums/af336/reefsolutions/Picture003-1.jpg

jolson10450
12-16-2010, 12:52 PM
Man that is some bad heater luck! hopefully it turns around for you, you should edit the title to the new corrected species name since that was updated. If you do not know how i can do it for you =)

ReefSolutions
12-16-2010, 02:18 PM
No i don't know how to fix the title name. If you could do it for me that would be awesome!
Thank you. I have more eggs already on a different rock. About 6 inch long and 2 inch wide strip of eggs.Still a thousand or more. :D so i'll try again. i heard that the eggs hatch in about 4 days or so.

jolson10450
12-16-2010, 02:44 PM
It should be fixed now, let me know if it is not though.

ReefSolutions
12-18-2010, 08:52 PM
Just went to check on the eggs and seen a baby swimming around in the tank. Let the hatching begin! didn't stay long enough to check for more as i had my baby with me lol.

ReefSolutions
12-22-2010, 07:48 PM
here's the pics of the parents. i would assume that is the dad above the rock, because the female would let only this one near the rock. the female is on the left.
http://i1021.photobucket.com/albums/af336/reefsolutions/lyretailmomanddad.jpg

mom
http://i1021.photobucket.com/albums/af336/reefsolutions/lyretailmom2.jpg

only see three babies two days ago so obivously i don't have the right food source for these fish.
i have been feeding rotifers and thought that they were going to be too big for the fish. i need to do a bit more research before I continue to try and raise these fry.

Yesterday i only seen one baby and decided to give up and said 'rest in peace little guy' and drained the tank and prepared for the next batch of clownfish.

these fish have been laying eggs for a least the last 3 months at the rate of once a week, so i know there will be more chances to raise them again.

mpedersen
01-03-2011, 10:52 PM
Hey Shannon! Keep up the great work! I stopped on by to let you know that we've left you a few messages on your pending MBI report...I see that you added the broodstock images, but you also needed to post a response denoting you had done so - the response is required to unlock your report for voting by the council for approval! The way it's designed right now, it requires a response from you, I can't unlock it! View your pending report through the MBI dashboard, you should see where to respond at the bottom. We've been antsy to get this one approved for ya...

Happy New Year, and keep up the good work!

Flynnstone
01-03-2011, 10:55 PM
She has tried to respond by clicking on the respond button, but nothing happens. so she cant unlock it.

mpedersen
01-04-2011, 12:02 AM
"GRR" as they say - thanks for relaying that. I'll pass it back up along the food chain! Didn't want anyone to feel that we were ignoring her valuable contribution...I'd probably be feeling that way by now if I was in her shoes!

ReefSolutions
01-05-2011, 10:19 AM
I didn't think that way at all. lol. i've been very busy lately and didn't even think of reporting a bug on the site. thank you for all the help.

weimers75
01-06-2011, 09:23 AM
Are you leaving the larvae in the main tank? If so, there's the problem of the missing fry - its not the food source. I've raised clowns and its impossible to raise them in the main tank. The parents and any other fish will eat them. Check out Wilkerson's book on clownfishes - I imagine you could raise these the same way as clowns since they're both damsels.

Not sure if you're doing this already, it sounds like they were in with adults but you also mentioned feeding clown babies...

ReefSolutions
01-06-2011, 11:30 PM
the rock was removed from the main tank. there were stow-away adults hidden inside that rock that i was unaware of though!!!! so that how they ended up all together. sneaky sneaky sneaky