PDA

View Full Version : New to Reefing Getting Started / Setup Advice

Wooten_PE
08-26-2005, 02:30 PM
#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I haven't had an aquarium in a few years, and would like to get started again. I hav some experience with marine, but no real reef experience.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I am thinking of a tank smaller than 55 gallons that will contain mushrooms, zooanthids, polyps, "easy" LPS coral, and a few mobile critters. Tank will probably be 29 gallons. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Now, the questions: What kind of lighting and wattage will I need? Anybody know of a good source for live rock and live sand in the Gulf Shores, Alabama area?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I have researched the EcoSystem filters; theory sounds solid. Someone talk me out of buying this filter system. I am sure CR members have tried them.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Any other advice from water parameters to good "starter" species is very welcome. Thanks in advance.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#

tigersax7
08-27-2005, 03:48 AM
#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#The species you listed are good for starters the mushrooms, zo's are realy hearty. The lighting as a standard should be no less the 4 watt's per gallon for those corals soyou would need at least a 116 watt light set up. For this you can go with a PC set up their quick and easy but the dissadvantage is the bulds are realy exspenceive (sp), in my opinion VHO is the best route, this tends to cost a little more in the beginning but the bulbs are half as mush as PC and you will need to buy/build a canopy. For more details on tank set ups you might want to check out the help page or the general aquarium topics page.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#tigersax7#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#