PDA

View Full Version : Flow & Plumbing Proper flow

Gozyk
08-28-2005, 08:32 PM
#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#SPAN class=postbody#ed_cl#I was wondering if anyone could help clarify some questions I have about flow rates. I going to use a Sequence Hammerhead(5800gph) pump for my main system pump. My tank can only handle about 2400gph flow through the 4 1" drains. So that leaves me with allot of play. I wanting to run my skimmer,Calcium reactor and phosban reactors off the this pump. I will have a manifold that will turn the 1 1/2" return to 8 3/4" outlets. First question is should I run a line to each 3/4" return to the tank or run one line and tee it off to each return? One will feed the fuge. Two will feed the grow out tanks. One for the skimmer and one for the calcium reactor. I'm going to run the feed line to the fuge through the 3 phosban reactors before dumping into the fuge. One will contain ROWAphos, one is Purigen, and the other will be for Carbon. My concern is once you dail in the skimmer lets say at 700gph how would I know if 6 months down the road that skimmer is still getting to proper flow rate? That goes with the calcium reator and the phosban reactors. Is there any kind of gauge or meter? I just worried that each devise wouldn't be getting proper flow and then not function right. I would really like to use the system pump for this so I could save electricity and money on the feed pumps. Plus would help with the heat. So any info would be great. #ed_op#BR#ed_cl##ed_op#BR#ed_cl#Thanks Kyle#ed_op#/SPAN#ed_cl##ed_op#SPAN class=postbody#ed_cl##ed_op#BR#ed_cl##ed_op#/SPAN#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#

dakar
08-28-2005, 09:17 PM
Now that's a serious pump. How much drop are you looking at from the drains to all of the reactors you are planning, I'd be concerned without enough pressure (assuming gravity fed drain so 1G x height) they'd be apt to stall on you. I would definately feed each return line directly from the manifold, so each will be able to carry the full capacity of water possible and reduce the back pressure, might consider stepping up to 1" lines from the manifold even if it's tapped at 3/4", the extra capacity will improve the overall efficiency.

Metering the flow to a given device may prove difficult and expensive, especially given there shouldn't be any metal contact for something like a flow meter. Not sure a pressure gauge would be very useful here either....

We'll let some more folks try to wrap their heads around this one and see what they can up with.

Gozyk
08-28-2005, 10:07 PM
#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I do really understand what you mean by drop to all the reactors. The pump will feed the manifold, out of the 8 outlets from the manifold I want to feed the tank the skimmer the reactors.Nothing will be gravity fed from the drains coming out of the tank. My system will have 2 100gl sumps one is where the hammerhead will pull from and the fuge will dump into. The second is where the reactors and the skimmer will pull from and the tank will drain to.Then the 150gl fuge will will overflow and gravity back to the first sump and feed the tank. I did this so I could spare sopme pods from being pulled through the reactors and skimmer. Also with the second sump being elevated the only one to show evaperation is the sump where the hammerhead will pull from. This where the top valve are located also where I will do water changes from. Wjat did you mean by "stall" The pump is designed where you can hook up a valve and throttle back the pump to meet your needs. Thenyou don't have to worry about stress on your pump. I will also be adding two 60gl grow out tanks later. That is why I went with such a large pump. I have a pump room behind the wall of the aquarium. So please explain the back pressure and the stalling you refferd to. THANKS GOZYK#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#

dakar
08-28-2005, 10:28 PM
Think I misunderstood in your original post, I read it to mean you were going to have the drains feeding the phosban reactors and such before hitting the sump/refuge, inferring that gravity alone was to drive water through them, something would eventually restrict the flow enough to cause it to fail (stalling the flow from the drain) leaving the floor wet.

Now with your second post I see what you mean, and it sounds like a very solid plan.
Are you still in the planning phase or are you putting things together? I'm sure we'd all enjoy seeing your setup, it sounds fantastic.

Gozyk
08-28-2005, 11:14 PM
#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#What I meant with the the reactors and the fuge was. The line that feeds the fuge will run into another manifold splitting it three ways, feeding each phosban reactors. Then the reactors running into the fuge. The fuge is nothing but a 150 rubbermaid container bought from tsc. There is a 2" bulk head in the top were it overflows and drains back to the main sump. There will be a powerhead in the fuge for extra flow. The linedumping from the reactors will be minimal, thats the reason for the powerhead. Yes I'm still in the planning phase. I'm waiting on my custom skimmer, calcium reactor and the kalkreactor. I'm on a 2 month waiting list. Also there is waiting list for my 2Tunze turbelle 6000 and multicontroller. Plus I just wantto get everything tight the first time. Or least the equipment. I know there will be some trail and error. But I should have all the equipment I need so at least the cost will be out of the way.Thanks for all your help if you can see anything else wrong or needs improvement Any info would be great. THANKS GozyK#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#