PDA

View Full Version : spider webs?

Heidi
01-21-2011, 06:16 PM
Here are these ugly things I wan to get rid of them. It looks like a very unorganized spider web. I pull it off and it comes back in like 1 min . . .
Best picture I could get sorry . . . http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a15/heidiiliff/IMG_1183.jpg

tazzy695
01-21-2011, 06:22 PM
looks like vermitid snail snot strings

they are attached to the rock in tiny tubes

Fishbutt
01-21-2011, 06:48 PM
The ones in my tank only do that when they get agitated. There's likely something in your tank that is stressing them out. Do they only do it when you do a water change? or something else that could stress them out?

rosebud161616
01-21-2011, 11:55 PM
That's how vermetid snails eat. They put out a long web, catch what they can, then slowly pull it back in, eating while they do it.

Heidi
01-22-2011, 07:32 AM
Alright guys I guess if they are harmless I will let them live :) Thanks for the help!
-Heidi

thefishgirl
02-23-2011, 07:03 PM
+1 Vermitid Snail Snot Strings. LOL

I have one. I moved him to where he attaches his Snot Strings to the Koralia instead of my corals. It is actually pretty cool to watch them eat. And he likes it there because stuff flows into his web all the time.

Here's mine:
http://i477.photobucket.com/albums/rr140/becky1366/For%20ID/tubeworm.jpg

MizTanks
02-23-2011, 09:11 PM
I have a bunch of them~when ever I do a wc it's like someone went crazy with silly string.

vittleking
02-23-2011, 09:26 PM
haha, I've been wondering what these where. Thanks!!

mikezalewski
04-05-2011, 02:56 PM
I have one of these in my tank as well and wondered what it was. They are neat but also kinda a pain.

Heidi
04-05-2011, 05:00 PM
haha, I've been wondering what these where. Thanks!!

I have one of these in my tank as well and wondered what it was. They are neat but also kinda a pain.

So I am so glad my silly question and not so great picture has help you two identify this seemingly common hitchhiker.
This is why I love CR!
Heidi

sullyman
04-29-2011, 08:07 PM
The web stings so make sure you don't have any near sps. These things can rapidly get out of hand. I break the tube open, others super glue the tube's trap door. I've had the pleasure of being stung by more than one of these, and it hurts and never heals with out scaring.

FiReBReTHa
04-29-2011, 09:16 PM
Alright guys I guess if they are harmless I will let them live :) Thanks for the help!
-Heidi

first time I heard they were harmless.

Pest, crush it as much as you can then coat with super glue.

The web stings so make sure you don't have any near sps. These things can rapidly get out of hand. I break the tube open, others super glue the tube's trap door. I've had the pleasure of being stung by more than one of these, and it hurts and never heals with out scaring.

+1,

Go figure that I agree with someone and it ends up being you!

Heidi
05-01-2011, 12:23 PM
I haven't been stung by one of these yet but they did get on my nerves around my zoa enough to fill their little hole with some glue. I have a couple around in other places in the tank that don't seem to be bothering anything. So I left them alone for now.

Corvette Reefer
05-01-2011, 02:30 PM
I use to have those same things in my tank a few months ago but over time mine went away, so i was lucky.

rosebud161616
05-01-2011, 02:42 PM
I have never heard of these stinging before. I wasn't aware that they even had the capability of stinging. Are you sure we're talking the same thing? Vermetid webs are harmless unless they irritate corals.

FiReBReTHa
05-01-2011, 02:45 PM
I have never heard of these stinging before. I wasn't aware that they even had the capability of stinging. Are you sure we're talking the same thing? Vermetid webs are harmless unless they irritate corals.

yup, google

Vermetid snail

people requesting solutions to their removal. etc