PDA

View Full Version : need some help with my new piece.

NadzChris
02-01-2011, 07:47 PM
hello i just bought this piece at the mid michigan swap. i forgot to ask what it was and were it likes to be in the tank. i think it is some kind of montipora, but im not sure. it was green when i bought it and now it has faded to a pale white.
http://www.captivereefs.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=231&pictureid=1390

demonclownfish
02-01-2011, 07:48 PM
what is your current lighting? tank size? what flow is it in?

jimsflies
02-01-2011, 07:53 PM
I agree it looks like some type of monti.

Its a bit bleached...could be from a number of factors. Did it get too warm or cold on the way home? Did you float the bag before adding it? Did you dip it in anything?

Sorry for all the questions...and if you only want to know what it is no need to reply to them. :) ...my guess is some type of encrusting montipora.

BTW- Welcome to CR!

NadzChris
02-01-2011, 08:05 PM
thank you. it is in a 50 tall with 250w hqi 20k in medium steady flow right now. my parms are ph 8.2 nite .5 nates 0 am 0 dkh 8 cal 420. i did dip it in fresh water for a second to remove the fire worm that was on it. it was kind of cold when i bought it, it was at a table by the front entrance. i floated for 15 mins. it has polyp extension but the bleaching has me worried.

jimsflies
02-01-2011, 08:16 PM
i did dip it in fresh water for a second to remove the fire worm that was on

Bingo. You don't want to dip them in fresh water. It takes the flesh off them. You should get something like Revive or Coral Rx to use for a dip and mix it with tank water...after you have acclimated the frag.

The fact it is extending polyps is a good sign and hopefully it will recover. :)

schminksbro
02-01-2011, 08:18 PM
It is a montipora and freshwater dips and sps corals don't mix. That said it seems to have a bit of polyp extension so it isn't dead yet. I would place it very low in the tank with medium to high indirect flow and then don't touch it until it looks good. Then you can slowly increase the light it is receiving. Eventually you will want to give it pretty strong lighting but not while it is stressed.

thank you. it is in a 50 tall with 250w hqi 20k in medium steady flow right now. my parms are ph 8.2 nite .5 nates 0 am 0 dkh 8 cal 420. i did dip it in fresh water for a second to remove the fire worm that was on it. it was kind of cold when i bought it, it was at a table by the front entrance. i floated for 15 mins. it has polyp extension but the bleaching has me worried.