PDA

View Full Version : Salt & Water Info on TDS meters

Whoyah
09-02-2005, 01:43 AM
I have been battling a hair algae outbreak for the last month. I thought I had pinpointed the problem to my RO/DI unit, now I am not so sure. I recently had to replace my well pump which stirred a huge a amount of sediment up. The RO unit was unplugged a few days after the new pump but it still has become loaded with sediment. Based on this, I ordered new filters, DI cartridge and TDS meter. I figured I would measure the water with the TDS meter first to see how bad it really is before replacing the filters. It shows 0 ppm for the output water. :-? Am I missing something here? My understanding is that a TDS meter should show everything besides water molecules. Am I right on this? Any help would be appreciated.

dakar
09-02-2005, 09:32 AM
Have you run tests on your RO/DI for nitrates and phosphates/silicates, stuff like that? If my understanding is correct (i could be off) the filtering is supposed to removed disolved solids and the majority of disolved organics, but some organics may still make it through. How about where you are storing your water before use? Anything living (or dying) in that container?

Whoyah
09-03-2005, 01:09 AM
I checked for nitrates and phosphates in both the top off container and the tank tonight. All at zero. Hmm. I must be missing something. The fuge is on 24/7 and the skimmer is cranked up, tds at zero, nitrate at zero, phospates at zero. I am feeding lightly, one small pinch of prime reef flakes every couple days. Turned down the amount of light the other day. What am I missing? I am tried of the hair algae!!! :evil:

Reptoreef
09-03-2005, 02:49 AM
Some large weekly water changes, make sure your lighting is still good or replace, and add a few more astrea or turbos to the clean up crew. BTW, phosphates are more commonly seen in conjunction with cyanobacteria in the system.

Limpit
09-03-2005, 12:44 PM
Just a thought but are you sure that your TDS meter is working correctly? Have you checked some unfiltered water to be sure that it is registering something?
Do you have any filter pads or the like that may be dirty and causing algae?
I also agree with Repto on the water changes and how old is the lighting.
What about strange additives or a compination of that may be causing the algae?

Whoyah
09-03-2005, 01:56 PM
The TDS meter is brand new and is suppose to be calibrated. It is actually a in-line meter, with an in and out sensor. Input is showing 80-100 ppm, out 0. I could swap the sensors and see what happens but I am guessing it is working correctly.

Lighting is about 8 months old plus it was off for over a month during the house move. I kind of holding off doing big water changes since I thought the water might be fueling the problem. I am going to do a 18 gallon change this weekend.

Thanks for the input.

Reptoreef
09-03-2005, 09:21 PM
I also use the in-line meter... sweet, huh??? I second using NO additives... they're usually just a marketing ploy that can easily be replaced by reg water changes. Besides, they usually just feed algaes what they want to grub on.

graphixx
09-11-2005, 02:57 PM
how is the flow in the tank. if y ou increase the flow that will help the problem. I would bump your waterchanges up a couple of gallons. what is your maintenance schedule. your params and feeding seems fine. how old is the tank? (sorry if you allready said)

Whoyah
09-12-2005, 12:16 AM
I think you are right on with the increased flow. The impellers on both my good power-heads took a dive recently. Last week I looked around in the junk drawer and found a couple junky ones. The increased flow seems to helping out. Some good size water changes, heavy pruning and some more clean-up crew and I think I will have the hair algae licked. ;)

graphixx
09-13-2005, 10:30 AM
I think you got it!!!!!! good luck