PDA

View Full Version : Lighting LIghting 50 gal tank

flame
09-02-2005, 04:39 PM
Ok i have read so much I have decided I'm confused. Lighting options are endless. I have found a 48" 260W (65Wx4) Aquarium Power Compact Light that seems to be priced right. The tank is 16 inches deep and 48 inches long. My questions to the pros is this going to be effective for a starter reef tank. If you had a tank this size and had to pick a middle of the road lighting system what would it be.

Thanks
All

dakar
09-04-2005, 12:54 AM
Depending on what type of coral you are looking to keep 260w PC should be find for most soft, and most LPS coral. We had pretty good success with the same setup over our 55g tank. The life of PC pulbs tends to be a bit shorter than other options like T5's and other tubes, before they start shifting lighting spectrums, but they take up less space. But for a middle of the road option it's not a bad way to start, the heat generated is pretty easily managed.

They are pretty easily converted over to pure actinics for supplementing Halides if the upgrade bug get's ahold of you later, or are easily resold.

flame
09-04-2005, 06:41 AM
Dakar
thanks for the response.