PDA

View Full Version : What the heck?!

cg5071
02-16-2011, 04:41 PM
Can anyone identify these attached to the zoas? Look like little feather duster worms but I am not sure if they will attach like this?

MizTanks
02-16-2011, 04:45 PM
I'd be taking them outta my tank until I found out~yuck.

Sir Patrick
02-16-2011, 04:57 PM
Hard to tell, by the pic......but doesnt look good!

Got some iodine, or any other coral dip handy? I would do a dip, and see what that critter is. Hate to have it be a nudi! Just to be on the safe side.

cg5071
02-16-2011, 05:02 PM
Thanks, yes iodine and or coral rx.

Sir Patrick
02-16-2011, 05:06 PM
do a tankwater dip (not freshwater, plus either of those 2 dips, in a white container, and take a pic of the critter that comes off. I am curious as to what it is. I am guessing nudi, but have seen somthing similar in the past.

cg5071
02-17-2011, 12:20 PM
It spread to a few other frags all palys or large zoas. I did the dip but no critter came off with it. I will likely do it again soon and see if I can catch it. I really need to dip all my zoas because a good portion of them are not happy. I did just get the mg to the correct level though.

Funny about the wrasses, I hope they work also but it is 3 8 line flasher wrasses. Should be here tomorrow. I have a cleaner as well but he has been here the whole time?

What are those? the eggs of a nudi? It looks just like the stuff that come on a montipora. Where the skin had receded there were a group of these on the skeleton. I just thought they were little dusters. Looking closer it appears to be fuzzy looking on stems but no feathers. I have pulled them off a few times and dipped and they always came back? I will also try and get better pics.

jolson10450
02-17-2011, 12:32 PM
looks like zoa hydroids to me unfortunately the only way to get rid of them is to pick them off and the webbing between them too

cg5071
02-18-2011, 10:04 AM
I wondered about hydroids. I am sure they are not good but they arent really effecting the zoas. Guess I will kep pulling them.

also one wrasse died before it got here and the others were not eating so it looks like next order on those. Switched to some tank raised Kuda Seahorses instead :) I wanted both so neither here nor there but I hate to hear of fish dying.

Sir Patrick
02-19-2011, 12:19 AM
Link this thread into beakerbobs expert forum.

I had somthing very similar, on the stem of a polyp. He looked at it under a microscope, and told me what it was....but I cant recall what he told me......

Maybe he can help?

cg5071
02-20-2011, 02:24 PM
Will do. I did find a nudi yesterday though too. I got a pic and will add that before linking it over at Bobs. I kept it in a cup overnight hoping it might be a berghia lol. It was dead today though. I also found a massive colony of the other things on a normally hidden part of a frag shelf.

cg5071
02-20-2011, 02:30 PM
Hey Bob I put this in the identification form and hope you can help me out. I found some odd critters that I thought looked like tiny dusters on my palys but then I found some on a frag shelf also. Yesterday I did find a Nudi but wasnt able to get on the pc to try and look it up. Can you identify either of these and how to clear my tank of them?

Thanks

http://www.captivereefs.com/forum/identification-forum/what-heck-12582/

2pairs
02-20-2011, 04:34 PM
The first picture is a nudi the second picture is a colony of hydroids.
The nudi could be bad for Z's and P's but hydroids can be bad for many things. They sting and that will have bad affects on a lot of coral, and one other thing you nee to know about Hydroids the sting can paralyze a seahorse and even kill young ones. So you need to do something, ether do something to get rid of the hydroids or move the seahorses.

Will do. I did find a nudi yesterday though too. I got a pic and will add that before linking it over at Bobs. I kept it in a cup overnight hoping it might be a berghia lol. It was dead today though. I also found a massive colony of the other things on a normally hidden part of a frag shelf.

BeakerBob
02-20-2011, 10:47 PM
I'm out of state right now using limited technology. When I get back, I can answer the question and see if I can help out.

softiegirl
02-20-2011, 11:53 PM
my personal opinion is that they're hydroids. Interested in seeing what Bob has to say!

cg5071
02-21-2011, 12:14 PM
Thanks Bob

cg5071
02-21-2011, 12:26 PM
Ok thanks. The horses are in a different tank all together. I have put guards on the pumps ect. and moved the maxi minis as well. I lost one though and hope to get another buddy or 2 for the one left. It was heartbreaking. I think it had to do with an airbubble making it so it couldnt swim well. I could see a bubble anyways and I watched them to make sure they could move away from pumps on their own which they did. Then in the morning the one was against the guard.

2pairs
02-21-2011, 02:15 PM
Yep seahorses are a little different to keep, I have had to learn to do pouch evacuation and how and what to medicate seahorses for and with. It takes some research and time but most things can be learned.

Ok thanks. The horses are in a different tank all together. I have put guards on the pumps ect. and moved the maxi minis as well. I lost one though and hope to get another buddy or 2 for the one left. It was heartbreaking. I think it had to do with an airbubble making it so it couldnt swim well. I could see a bubble anyways and I watched them to make sure they could move away from pumps on their own which they did. Then in the morning the one was against the guard.

BeakerBob
03-09-2011, 06:56 PM
You have hydroids! These are really pesky and difficult to remove. If they are on a rock or plug with the zoas, you can try a dip. I suspect that dipping in water or some other recommended coral dip may get rid of them.

Here are a couple of other links describing their problems, just to let you now that you are not alone:

Wet Web Media (http://www.wetwebmedia.com/hyzoancompfaq.htm) and an RC thread (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1439169)with a very similar picture.

BeakerBob
03-09-2011, 07:30 PM
Yes, they are hydroids and can be very difficult to remove. If they are only on your zoas for now and the zoas are on a rock that can be removed, I would dip in water or another recommended coral dipping solution to see if that will kill them.

You are not alone and here are two threads on other sites that have similar issues:

Wet Web Media (http://www.wetwebmedia.com/hyzoancompfaq.htm)
RC (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1439169)

cg5071
03-10-2011, 06:19 AM
I havnt been on much lately. I am kinda bummed about my aquarium right now. So besides the hydroids which are fewer now but deff still there I have 2 types of nudi's. Brown ones that like my zoas and white ones that are eating on the monti's. I have been picking them out and dipping. Alot of darn work. I dip all of my corals and dont really understand how I got so many but I didnt see the white nudis right away. I thought aquarium chemistry was the culprit with the monti's but it isnt. I lost quite a few frags.

jolson10450
03-10-2011, 08:01 AM
I havnt been on much lately. I am kinda bummed about my aquarium right now. So besides the hydroids which are fewer now but deff still there I have 2 types of nudi's. Brown ones that like my zoas and white ones that are eating on the monti's. I have been picking them out and dipping. Alot of darn work. I dip all of my corals and dont really understand how I got so many but I didnt see the white nudis right away. I thought aquarium chemistry was the culprit with the monti's but it isnt. I lost quite a few frags.

sorry to hear man, at least you found what is doing the damage so that is good news, going to be a pain to get rid of but hopefully you can pull it off!