PDA

View Full Version : Reef Aquarium Fish Goby Mischief....

tigersax7
09-18-2005, 12:14 AM
#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# I recently added a dimond goby to my 46 gallon bow from. The little guy stayed hidden for about three days and then he decided to make his home in the front left side of the tank. He started by digging under every rock on that side of the tank finaly settling under a smaller piece of rock in the front.However in the process he knocked over and burried several Zo frags I recentaly obtained, moved several others as well as generaly rearranged his teritory to suit his needs. The funny thing is that he felt that all the scatered shells I have in there for my hermits needed to be in a neat little pile...so the little SOB gathered all the shells one of which happened to have a hermit in it. This poor hermit of course played dead untill in the pile it then tried to escape...unfortunatly the goby saw this and then place the hermit back into the pile. this process went on for several minutes. Any way I was just wounderingif any one else has had a simmilar exsperience?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#

Whoyah
09-18-2005, 01:29 AM
unfortunatly the goby saw this and then place the hermit back into the pile.

That is pretty funny :smt101 Never seen it but certainly can believe it.

dakar
09-18-2005, 10:05 AM
Goby's and Blenny's, their crazy antics and personality are the comic relief needed in this obsession. Of course anything you do ti the tank is done specifically 'for them'.

Sounds like you have quite the little house cleaner there.

graphixx
09-18-2005, 02:17 PM
he will do that until he gets the tank just the way he likes it. I have an engineer goby and a watchman goby. The engineer is paired up with my pistol shrimp (which is weird I thought the watchman would of ) and the watchman when I first got him he did some serious rearranging and then he got it just the way he wanted it and now is very happy where he is at. He is such an awesome little guy he has so much personality. And the engineer and the pistol they are inseperable.

Reef_Angel
09-18-2005, 10:52 PM
I think it's adorable! People listen to our stories, and they look at us like we're nuts! They have no idea how exciting Reefing can be. As far as you're new Goby goes, he's going to be that way forever, so get used to him! lol Search for your zoa frags, and nail them down if you have to. As far as your hermit go, let him pile them up. Our tend to have union meetings instead of actually working. It's funny, when their "meeting" is over, they all turn and dismiss the meeting, and then maybe do a little work. The red leggers are the worst. Their meetings last much longer than the blue leggers!! Laugh it all off as best you can, and TAKE PICTURES!!!
.....Angel

tigersax7
09-20-2005, 03:59 AM
#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# Our critters do do some pretty weird things... Like my clowns for the longest time apeared to have hosted with a power head...now they follow my new yellow eyed tang around like a pair of lost puppies#ed_op#IMG src="http://www.captivereefing.com/richedit/smileys/Teasing/7.gif"#ed_cl#...oh well they'll discover my RBTA soon enough....#ed_op#IMG src="http://www.captivereefing.com/richedit/smileys/Thinking/1.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#

Blk_Lotus
09-20-2005, 07:41 PM
#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#My LFS had a large (about 12") Engineer Goby come in with one of their orders. They placed him in a 40 gallon tank with an assortment of leather corals, about 30 lbs of live rock and a sand bed about four inches deep. When the store opened up the next day, they discovered why they are called Engineers. He basically moved ALL of the gravel to one side of the tank, upsetting most of the live rock and rather deviously piling the gravel on TOP of most of the leather corals. One of the store workers told me with a smile,"Yeah, it looks like he's redecorating. Want him?" I was a little stunned. Gorgeous fish, but certainly one you'd want to put in toward the beginning so he'd get his Feng Shui on and you could see what he leaves you to work with. But hey, there's nothing quite like "natural" design.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#

Reef_Angel
09-20-2005, 10:07 PM
We have an Engineer Goby, and thankfully he doesn't do anything that radical! I don't think he does anyway. I did find about 8 zoa frags under an area that I was gowing out a bunch of zoas. I didn't miss them due to the amount of frags I was starting. I wonder if he comes out at night and moves them. He get's frustrated with me when I re-scape the tank, but I always make sure I make him a pretty nice cave so he can dig his deep hole in the sand. Otherwise, he's kind of shy and comes part way out at dinner time! When he comes out all of the way, we can't believe how much he's grown! I really like gobys....they have great personalities!

Guido
09-20-2005, 11:01 PM
With my lack of experience and knowledge, I would really like to see a picture of

these "gobbys" they sounds very interesting.

dakar
09-20-2005, 11:56 PM
Here's a link to a pic of our Engineer Goby aka 'Winston' from the gallery.

http://www.captivereefing.com/album_showpage.php?pic_id=20

That's from a year ago! Still looks about the same, except now he's twice as big and his blue spotting is really prominent..... we'll have to see about updating his pic.

Guido
09-21-2005, 01:52 PM
Ah, I think I've seen similar fish before. Is that a delicate fish and is it best suited in a

reef?