PDA

View Full Version : Sun Polyps... tubatrea

Reptoreef
09-11-2004, 04:05 PM
Angel... how the heck do you get your sun polyps to bloom so fully??? They are looking incredible!!! Here's a pic of mine...

Reef_Angel
09-11-2004, 06:41 PM
Your's do look different from mine. I have to get a picture of them when they are really open and you'll be even more amazed. I feed mine cyclopez every other day, and I hand feed then brine shrimp too. When I got them, only one side of the colony was healthy, but they're all doing pretty good now. Mine open mid afternoon, and then again at bedtime. I usually put phytoplankton in the tank every other day as well, but I believe the same dog that ate my baster and the big container of fish flakes also ate the that too. He smells fishy all the time. hahaha Big goof! He's eating an expensive hobby!! :roll:
This board is coming right along! I can't wait to drop da bomb!! lol
.......Angel

Reptoreef
09-11-2004, 10:08 PM
This board is coming right along! I can't wait to drop da bomb!! lol

Me, too!

dakar
09-11-2004, 11:07 PM
Angel was going to post these pic's of our sun coral for you, but is turning in early. so I'll do it for her. Most have an orange base, a few on the end are pink...

Reptoreef
09-11-2004, 11:36 PM
OOOOOOOHHHHHHH.... That's georgeous!

Reef_Angel
09-12-2004, 01:05 PM
Hey Jason!
Actually, I had already emailed them to you, but it's good that Dave posted them anyway. Your hotmail rejected photos and I got it returned this morning while Mr. 3:00am was still online with the TV on I might add. It might have something to do with this headache I have this morning. lol :)

Anyway, the faded out pic really doesn't show their bright "candy" color like the other one. I think you have a little different species than I do too. These were a rescue job for sure from the LFS with the mojano. Every other day, I feed mine Cyclopez (sp?), and I also hand feed tiny bits of shiners or brine shrimp. You should see them after a feeding. I told Dave to wait til I fed them to take the pic, but I don't know if he's seen them like I do at their very best. There's no space between them at all when they open. They stand real tall and they are so pretty. These are one of my pet projects. Get a pic of yours when they are open if you can.

Reptoreef
09-12-2004, 01:16 PM
Get a pic of yours when they are open if you can.
I will try.

Reptoreef
09-12-2004, 11:05 PM
20 min after feeding phyto/cyclopeeze...

Reef_Angel
09-12-2004, 11:13 PM
The black one's are pretty cool. Dave just ooh'd and aah'd over them. I've never seen them in that color. Have you ever hand fed each polyp a small piece of fish or shrimp every other day? They love it and boy are they happy campers.

I'm going to design the logo for the site hopefully tomorrow. I've had my hand so full lately. Don't know which thing to do first!

Reptoreef
09-12-2004, 11:40 PM
Hand feeding... yep. But I have aggressive cleaner shrimp that steal all their goodies, so when feeding, I put a deep(1 lb) clear deli cup over them with a small hole cut into the bottom and spot feed using a turkey baster. 1 litter soda bottles also work well(with the bottom cut out).
I'm excited to see the cosmetics happen and especially, to see your new logo.
Bed time, laters, Jason

dakar
09-13-2004, 12:20 AM
I saw the black ones listed in some catalog or another but with no pic. I like them, black is such an unusual color for our reefs. Anything black would otherwise be associated with 'not a good thing' :)

Reptoreef
09-20-2004, 02:22 PM
I've got some pics to love, now... just can't post 'cus I'm at work and they're loaded onto the home pc. Will post, tonight.

condiman
09-20-2004, 08:54 PM
May I ask how difficult it is to keep these types of corals?

Reef_Angel
09-20-2004, 10:31 PM
Welcome Condiman! Glad to have you aboard! I find these awesome to have in our tank. They have become one of my pet projects. If you like to hand feed and pamper anything, this is a good one to have! Sun Coral are typically a night feeder but mine come out in the mid-afternoon and early morning too. I feed them phytoplankton which I do for the whole tank every two days...preferably when they are open though, cyclopeze every other 2 days also when open, and then they have brine shrimp to. It's fun to feed them shrimp! After they eat or injest these feedings...especially the cyclopeze.... they open up so beautiful! The LFS would have eventually lost the cluster we have as they started to die off, but they are doing great now, and more are growing! Pretty darn cool critters!!

Reptoreef
09-21-2004, 01:17 AM
Now, check 'em out... the suns in front and the blacks right behind! All out and feeding...

dakar
09-21-2004, 01:25 AM
Looking much happier now, what did you have to do to finally get them to start opening for you?

Reptoreef
09-21-2004, 01:33 AM
Time and a bit of spot feeding... now they're begining to open at 10 am and about 10 pm on their own.

Reef_Angel
09-21-2004, 04:47 PM
They are so pretty. I still think they are a bit different than mine though. I wonder how many types there are of these. They are so vibrant!

Reptoreef
09-21-2004, 08:43 PM
Each day, they "blossom" more fully!!!

Reptoreef
09-22-2004, 12:27 AM
I like this one... got home, tonight and WOW... they're boomin'

Grandmaster_Toad
10-06-2004, 03:08 PM
Repto...those are looking AWESOME!!
Angel yours are very pretty as well....
I must say there is alot of good helpful conversation on here, Ill be visiting often!!
Many sites have a chip on thier shoulder...you know what im talking about...heh heh
GT

dakar
10-06-2004, 03:23 PM
Only chips around here get dipped into HOT sauce :angry4: :lol:

peregrinus
10-06-2004, 04:53 PM
very nice pic repto and angel. i have a frag that has like 5 polyps on it no where near as nice but when i feed the tank they open up as if to say " FED ME SEMORE". lol i'm hoping that these guys will grow a bit.

tileman
10-27-2004, 07:48 AM
Here are mine, I feed them cyclopees also, they love them.

Reptoreef
10-27-2004, 01:45 PM
Tileman, nice sun's... I believe that cyclop-eese is the trick for long term success, so far.

PMPT
10-27-2004, 05:35 PM
I put mine so that the light isn't directly shining on them. THey like that a lot more. They really don't like a lot of light from what I've seen. Mine always open up big when I feed anything in my tank. They can smell the food. This mornig I woke up and had just barely turned on the room light, and they were all out big feeding on the night criters. Good luck with the polpys! They are a cool coral.

Reef_Angel
10-27-2004, 06:26 PM
Mine get prettier and bigger every day it seems. I'll have to update a picture of them. They get cyclopeez every other day, I hand feed them brine shrimp, and the tank water is blessed with phydoplankton which I swear by. Has anyone ever tried to frag these?

jerryc
10-27-2004, 06:49 PM
I'm going to have to get one of those Thea look great. But i need to Waite till i can build another top for the tank i built the one i have to just let the top open to far to the
bottom' going to fix a new one so it opens the front to.

davejnz
10-28-2004, 09:22 AM
After reading this thread,it looks like i might have found a low-light LPS coral for the bottom of my aquascape.Nice corals everyone,too bad i havn't seen one at the LFS in yrs.

PMPT
10-28-2004, 09:28 AM
davejnz-
If you lived in Utah I know a Fish Store that has one or two in stock right now.

spawns
11-18-2004, 09:45 PM
Hand feeding... yep. But I have aggressive cleaner shrimp that steal all their goodies, so when feeding, I put a deep(1 lb) clear deli cup over them with a small hole cut into the bottom and spot feed using a turkey baster. 1 litter soda bottles also work well(with the bottom cut out).
I'm excited to see the cosmetics happen and especially, to see your new logo.
Yup! The best method to feed them. Before this, i had to flood my tank with cyclopees. But the funny thing happens, whenever just after feeding with these cyclopees, my skimmer stop skimming foam....for at least 2 to 3 hours! Do this happens to you guys! :roll:
Anyway, i like to share my two suns 8)

dakar
11-18-2004, 09:57 PM
Cyclopeze or spray dried phytoplankton seem to flatten out our skimmer as well, haven't exactly figured out why yet, but it lasts for 3-5 hours and then it kicks back in, oddly enough it doesn't seem to be pulling any of the good red particles out so I don't worry over it too much.

Looks like you've a couple of good colonies going there!

BTW welcome aboard, and thanks for pulling this thread back up, the sun's are some of our most favorites as well.

Renee
11-21-2004, 10:45 AM
Very nice! Ooooh.... aaaahhh.... They look very happy.

tileman
03-26-2005, 08:42 AM
I thought I would update you all on my sun polyps. They are doing very well, as a matter of fact , from what repto has told me, they are spreading on to my live rock around the original colony. This is a picture I took last night after lights out. And you can see two new starts on the rocks above.

Reptoreef
03-26-2005, 07:32 PM
Dang sweet pic!!!

Reef_Angel
03-26-2005, 11:44 PM
Tileman... those are gorgeous!! So what's your secret? Mine are beautiful also, but what are you feeding yours? Are you hand feeding them also? When I got mine, they were a definate rescue. Mine have wires and stuff throughout the rock apparently holding something together when they were originally fragged. Mine are a rock of both yellow and pink. Some were dead when I got them, but I have had babies grow back in the dead areas and they are real prtty now. Yours are spreading also. How in the world did you manage that?? :)

dakar
03-26-2005, 11:52 PM
Looking great! I just looked back at the pictures that we posted of our sun corals when we started this thread back in September... and we thought they looked pretty good back then. I'll have to get an updated shot of them.

Being able to look back at critters six months ago to compare them against is really cool. Better than digging through a literal thousand pics or more we've taken and have stored all over the place.

tileman
03-27-2005, 11:27 AM
Maybe the secret is to not pay alot of attention to them, I dont hand feed them , but in the morning before I go to work they are out waiting for me to feed cyclopeez to them. I just put the frozen bar directly into my return stream for about 10 seconds and it gets dispersed throughout my tank. You can just watch them shrivel up when they get hit with the tiny shrimp. They always come out every night after I feed my fish, so I get to enjoy them for about 3 hours a night before lights out.

Sparky
12-27-2005, 03:47 PM
Dang. I need to get me some of those!!!!! Thanks for the great pics everyone!

wpspfan
05-12-2006, 01:30 PM
I got some of these sun polys comming today and was wondering where to place them in the tank?

harmanrk
05-12-2006, 01:46 PM
As they do not contain bacteria to convert light into food, you need to place them so that can be easily done. They have to be feed every day, or every other day for good results.

Robert

Whoyah
05-12-2006, 06:05 PM
I would place them in a location where you can target feed them directly and where it is shady so as not to burn them with any strong light.

wpspfan
05-13-2006, 11:00 AM
Thanks, they didn't come PS was out of them and they didn't ship them with my order.

lReef lKeeper
05-13-2006, 07:05 PM
yeah guys, i heard these sun corals like a shady part of the tank more than well lit, is that true ??

Fally
05-19-2006, 01:26 PM
That is true, in nature they are found in shadded areas.

perpetual98
05-19-2006, 02:11 PM
Here's an article that I liked so I stole it and posted it on my board. :)

http://www.myreef.com/smf/index.php?topic=17