PDA

View Full Version : Nitrogen Cycle & Phosphate Substance on water surface?

MizTanks
03-15-2011, 04:39 PM
There's an oily looking substance on the surface water of my cycling 26g. I've been using SeaChem's Stability as part of the cycling. I'm also seening a small build-up of foam bubbles. Is it this that I'm seeing? If so, need I be concerned about it? I've added extra flow to the surface via a Korilia 250, yet the film still remains.

Heidi
03-15-2011, 06:15 PM
Want my "pre skimmer" box? I don't use it now that I have the different pump so maybe that will help, idk . . .let me know I can send it up there!
Heidi

MizTanks
03-15-2011, 06:21 PM
How does it work? :)

Sir Patrick
03-15-2011, 09:46 PM
The oily substance is, I beleive, proteins and other waste. Most likely building up from the polution caused by the cycle your tank is going through and the dead organics in the dry rock cycling in your tank. The bubbles are a sighn of a heavy build up of these broken down organics.

With water changes and carbon, this will eventually go away. A surface skimmer could help very much. A protein skimmer is the best option against the oily look at the waters surface.

The oily film is very common in a non skimmer tank. If you notice the film not receading, make sure you give the water surface good agitation for gas exchange.

MizTanks
03-16-2011, 12:54 PM
With the HOB fuge I don't even know if I have room for a skimmer. It's 19" long and my tank is 24" so that doesn't leave much room for one.

Heidi
03-16-2011, 01:47 PM
Surface skimmer box is on its way Jamie! Hope it helps. :)

MizTanks
03-16-2011, 04:15 PM
Awww Heidi, what a sweet heart!! ((((hugs)))) :)

Sir Patrick
03-16-2011, 05:36 PM
^ I would guess the foam bubbles are at the surface, most likely in a corner or edge in a lower flow area.

After the rocks clean up, and the tank finishes its cycle, the film should go away with adaquate water changes. Surface skimming will help a ton!

MizTanks
03-16-2011, 06:08 PM
Yer right Sir. The foam, which is not bad at all. Collects behind the output. I wish there was some way I could stop the output from creating bubbles :(

spartyblaze
03-16-2011, 07:19 PM
I would have to agree... Probably protein. Does it have s rainbowish sheen to it?

MizTanks
03-16-2011, 07:24 PM
I would have to agree... Probably protein. Does it have s rainbowish sheen to it?

Yup :)

spartyblaze
03-16-2011, 07:36 PM
I am not sure about pre skimmer boxes - is there any way you could run a HOB in addition to the reefugium?

MizTanks
03-16-2011, 08:30 PM
Hob filter or skimmer?

binford4000
03-16-2011, 08:41 PM
There's an oily looking substance on the surface water of my cycling 26g. I've been using SeaChem's Stability as part of the cycling. I'm also seening a small build-up of foam bubbles. Is it this that I'm seeing? If so, need I be concerned about it? I've added extra flow to the surface via a Korilia 250, yet the film still remains.

does the new tank have an overflow?? I think that's what Patrick meant by no skimming action,It's very normal for a tank without an overflow box to have a protien waste slime.Adding the powerhead as you've already done will break it up some but Hedi's skimmer box she's sending you will take care of the problem.Let's see some pics when you get something in that puppy :snorkel:

MizTanks
03-16-2011, 09:04 PM
No overflow. I can't wait to something in this puppy~even a lil hermit would do~I just took a video with the Lunars on and man does she shimmer~I'm so excited!!!