PDA

View Full Version : New to Reefing Another beginner...

EJL
09-20-2005, 08:12 PM
#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I am only in the research stages ofthis new adventure, but... I need a little advice on setup (hope all of you haven't tired of answering newbie set up q's)I have had several FW tanks but never a SW. I amlooking to setup a SW reef tank (eventually clowns? anemones? etc...) Someone gave me a 20G glass tank and a Whisper 40 power filter w/ bags etc... planning on hanging everything off the back due to space and $$. So far I am looking at getting:#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#1. 24" Aqualight 2-65W Lamps Straight Pin (ESU) $130#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#2. Dual-Temp Heater 2-50Gal 100W $16.50#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#3. Hagen Hydrometer/Thermometer 12" $7.50#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#4. SeaClone Protein Skimmer $75#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#5. Hagen Master Test Kit $60 (is master kit necessary?)#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#do I need a protein skimmer if the above mentioned filter has a bio bag? any advice on these products is more than welcome, also... I may be moving in 1 year, is it tough to move a tank yet keep it happy?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Thank you so much!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#

jerryc
09-20-2005, 08:35 PM
Yes i thank you will wont the skimmer. you can get along with out the skimmer
if you do water changes regaler and often

You Riley don't need the whisper although Thea can be good to polisher
the water time to time

The light may be good depending on whit you wont to keep
if just fish the light is just for you the fish wont mind as long
as you give them a day/night routine

graphixx
09-20-2005, 10:26 PM
I am going to disagree with Jerry (sorry buddy) and the reason for this is.... your setting up a 20 gallon tank. first off you really cannot stock that much life in a 20 gallon. You mentioned you wanted to do a clown and an anenome. I would go with that and maybe one other fish and maybe some shrooms or zoo's. If you keep up on water changes and keep an eye on your parameters you will be just fine. Now if you are going to go with this stock be warned...... you want to have very good water conditions and your light that is iffy an anenome is pretty particular on water quality and lighting. Now your clowns on the other hand well they are hardy little buggars. And when you set up the tank you have got to have patience. That is the key to this game. Do not get in a hurry and if you can do that and not be afraid to ask questions (that is what these forums are for) you are going to do awesome in this hobby. But also once you do get your tank up and running your are in for a roller coaster ride. This hobby is more addicting than crack cocaine :D I could not think of a better hobby to have. Good luck :D

Guido
09-20-2005, 10:47 PM
LoL, more addictive then crack huh? That's kinda putting it out there, but I'll believe ya. :lol:

dakar
09-21-2005, 12:25 AM
Don't know what a crack habbit would cost... but sometims I have to wonder which would be cheaper...LOL The initial investment can be a killer, but if you do it right the first time the less you have to upgrade later.

A note on that test kit, if you are not keeping corals, the master kit would probably be a waste of $$$, fish only tank your primary concerns will be PH, Ammonia, Nitrite, and Nitrate, (a simple SW master kit from Fosters and Smith can be had for $10 that will serve your needs just fine). Apply the balance to a skimmer better than the seaclone, a Prizm Pro would be a far better choice in my opinion, (watch Ebay for some good deals $50-60 most of the time, it's a better skimmer.

Lighting 2x65w over a 20g tank might get you by for an anenome. How long is the tank? might be better off moving up to 2x96w quad lamps, if you plan on adding coral later a sing metal halide (175w or even a 250) would serve you very well (and cheaper to start up and less frequent expense of changing PC bubls every 6-8 months, they tend to get expensive quickly.

Hope this helps.

As Jerry mentioned that HOB filter will likely serve well for water movement, and running a little carbon every now and again if needed, if you use the pads they will need to be cleaned and replaced frequently else they become nitrate factories quickly. To cut down on the costs if you want to run it ; thorough rinsing of the filter media will help, let them dry out for a say or two and rinse again then just snip the tops to exhange out the carbon weekly with pre-rinsed carbon.