PDA

View Full Version : Nitrogen Cycle & Phosphate GFO reactor?

MizTanks
04-20-2011, 07:29 PM
What is it? How is it used?

CalmSeasQuest
04-20-2011, 07:59 PM
A media reactor (http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/store/brs-gfo-and-carbon-reactor.html) is just a canister that holds whatever media is desired (GAC,GFO, Bio Pellets...) and is powered by a small pump or fed by a return pump. It provides better, controllable water flow through the media as it uses an upwards flow, forcing water though the media. It's a more efficient alternative to simply throwing a bag of carbon or GFO into your sump. This is especially advantageous when running GFO as the media needs to "tumble" slightly to prevent solidification.

You can also purchase dual reactors for running GFO and GAC simultaneously. This provides the added benefit of having the carbon downstream of the GFO allowing it can catch any fines created.

BRS has a petty good series of videos on reactors, GFO and GAC (http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/store/brs-tv/carbon-gfo-videos) that explain the pros and cons of each type and method.

MizTanks
04-20-2011, 08:07 PM
Could I use a magnum 350 canister temporarily? What does GFO stand for?

jimsflies
04-20-2011, 08:11 PM
Granular Ferric Oxide, it is the media used to remove phosphate. I looks similar to activated carbon, but a bit finer.

MizTanks
04-20-2011, 08:47 PM
Well that was simple to understand :) Looks like it'll be the single canister for me.

Sir Patrick
04-20-2011, 09:28 PM
GFO works best tumbled, in a reactor. I would recomend going the reactor route. I would also recomend going the dual reactor route, like Tom recomended. Second chamber to run carbon.

Along with your fuge, liverock and skimmer- These will be the only filtration you will need. Simple and clean.

MizTanks
04-20-2011, 09:40 PM
I'm looking at the BRS GFO reactor pro~I can use both media's at the same time~for my little tank and lack of room it's perfect. It's less work and that makes Jamie happy :)

CalmSeasQuest
04-20-2011, 09:59 PM
Good - Single Canister - You can run GFO or GAC. While not ideal, it's also possible to run both in a single canister by placing the GFO in the bottom and GAC on the top (catches GFO fines) separated by sponges. The downside is GAC typically last much longer than GFO. When used in a single canister, you're forced to change out both at the same time.

Better - Dual Canister - Allows both media to be run in their own canisters and changed out individually.

Best - Two individual Canisters - Same benefits as dual, but adds the ability to control the flow rates individually (you want GFO to tumble, whereas the GAC should have lower flow for longer contact time and to prevent tumbling and the creation of fines.)

Avoiding GAC fines is important as studies suggest carbon fines contribute to Head and Lateral Line Erosion (HLLE) - also referred to as Lateral Line Disease (LLD.)

MizTanks
04-20-2011, 10:53 PM
I'm limited here as far as room and funds. 2x canisters means 2x pumps. Ok so I already have 1 pump but that still leaves me with room issues.
My tank sits on a book shelf type stand. No room underneath, and I def can't mount it to the wall, as it sits in my living room. I can't sit it my fuge as the light takes up almost the entire surface area.
Now another issue. Where to put the mj1200? Big/lil pump in a tank that already has 4 pump/power heads in it?

Oh and let us not forget the out put flow. Slow or fast? How much will the media slow down the flow?

Yes I know if I only had a bigger tank..blah blah blah.

Does this all mean I can't have a GFO reactor? Or could I DIY a unit small enough for my tank while at the same time not to loose the benefits?

CalmSeasQuest
04-20-2011, 11:11 PM
First...Relax - It's all good :big_grin:

A single canister is fine, just a bit more maintenance. Run your GFO in the bottom using sponges to separate the GAC and GFO (assuming you're running both.) Adjust the top sponge (above the carbon) to allow little room between the sponge and the GAC to limit tumbling. Adjust your flow so the surface of the GFO "dances" and you're done ;)

binford4000
04-21-2011, 06:46 AM
First...Relax - It's all good :big_grin:

A single canister is fine, just a bit more maintenance. Run your GFO in the bottom using sponges to separate the GAC and GFO (assuming you're running both.) Adjust the top sponge (above the carbon) to allow little room between the sponge and the GAC to limit tumbling. Adjust your flow so the surface of the GFO "dances" and you're done ;)

Great advice!! You could also just bag the gac and put it in the sump.Now try breathing Jamie LOL :jester:

MizTanks
04-21-2011, 11:00 AM
Great advice!! You could also just bag the gac and put it in the sump.Now try breathing Jamie LOL :jester:

Breathing? For now I'll just run the mag350 with some phosphate sponge in it. Worked great for the diatoms.

AZDesertRat
04-22-2011, 12:05 AM
You don't need a big reactor since all it takes is about 1 gram or 1 tablespoon of GFO media per 10 gallons of system water. The TLF Phosban reactor is good for a 150-200 gallon system using something like a MJ400 powerhead. Canister filters have too much flow and will grind the media to dust since it is very soft. 60-80 GPH is a good flow.

MizTanks
04-22-2011, 06:40 AM
Wonderful info and advise guys! You all have taught me much about GFO (I now know what GFO stands for) what it's used for, how much to use, what to use it in and all the benefits I'll glean from using it.

Thanks to all who help me to succeed every day :)

Jamie.