PDA

View Full Version : Funny Algea

zoo-a-holic
09-28-2005, 10:30 AM
Here is a pic of one of my rocks in the tank. there are 2 others like it and i dont know why?
Its a pretty thick alge, how do i get rid of it? HELP!

http://www.captivereefing.com/richedit/upload/2kd52f493c5c.jpg

graphixx
09-28-2005, 11:15 AM
need a little more info. how long has the tank been up and how many fish are in there and how often do you feed?
it looks like hair algae to me.
if the tank is newly set up this is just a normal bloom this will go away after a while.
if the tank has been set up for a while you may be over feeding the fish and you may be running your lights for too long. cut back on the feeding and reduce the light cycle a couple of hours. you can also increase the flow. or add some mexican turbo snails or a lawnmower blenny.

jerryc
09-28-2005, 12:19 PM
Things that can cause hair algae

1 New tank syndrome------------- Give it time and add to clean up crew cut back lighting
2 overfeeding---------------------- cut back on feeding to ever other day
3 old lighting------------------------ New lamps
4 Bad flow [Not Enif water movement ]--add power heads

zoo-a-holic
09-28-2005, 01:13 PM
Well i have 15 turbo snails, i think i should do the light thing. My dad turns it on at 7:30 and i turn it off at 9:30. How long should i cut it back by??

Guido
09-28-2005, 01:16 PM
IMO i would cut it back to about maybe 10 hours. If it's the light causing the algae. I'll probably have mine run for about 10-12 when it's all said and done. (I think i read somewhere about 8-12 hours is sufficient lighting) But, I'm sure dakar or graphixx will have best answer for this question.

graphixx
09-28-2005, 01:22 PM
I have read several articles I actually touched breifly on this when I was in school. Most of your corals get all of the nutrients that they need from approx 5.5 to 7 hours of light. I will try and find the article and get some more specifics on this.

jerryc
09-28-2005, 01:27 PM
I run my MH 6 hours and the VHO 9 hours depending on whit you have you can cut even more if you don't have coral in the tank you can just tarn it off for a day or 2
at a time to get red of it