PDA

View Full Version : Crabs, Urchins & Starfish Hermits?

harmanrk
09-30-2005, 03:59 PM
#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Are some Hermit Crabs better than others? I have three, two Scarlet, and on brown legged one. The brown legged onw, is busy doing his thing day and night.The two scarlets are much bigger, butare down right lazy, never moving more than a few inches during the day, and not showing any signs of haveing moved very far at night (They are always in the same spot each morning).#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I am looking to add some more hermits, and want to know id some types are better cleaners than others, or is it just a part of each crabs personality?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Robert#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#

zoo-a-holic
09-30-2005, 06:04 PM
#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#what i found is that the bigger they are, the less they do! I also found that the red legged hermits are more agressive but that is just my oppinion#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#

dakar
09-30-2005, 06:17 PM
We've had better luck with the blue leggers. The reds and browns were deemed 'union workers' by us the day we brought home dozen or so of each to add to our tank, they'd hang around in a group doing nothing for most of the day, after the meeting was over they'd go find a bite to eat and call it a day (they'd go hide somewhere), meanwhile the blue leggers bought the same day went right off to work as soon as they hit the sand.

It was and still is a running joke for us. But we stay will the blues, they are less agressive when smaller, but they do grow quickly and so does their ability to take out snails and such when they see a new 'house' they want.

Tom McKenna
09-30-2005, 06:28 PM
I agree blues are by far the best

graphixx
09-30-2005, 07:42 PM
I would recommend the blues they are better scavengers and the less agressive of the bunch. they recommend on blue leg per 8 to 10 gallons but I dont agree with this I would go one to every 5 to 7 gallons.