PDA

View Full Version : Salt & Water Filter Direct RO/DI ?

rickm
10-04-2005, 04:25 PM
I just got my Model 102 RO/DI filter today.I have a question for those here who own one.The flush valve, there's nothing in the manuel to where this gets plumbed to? Do I run a 1/4" tube from it to the drain?Does anything go on the end of it?They mention nothing about it other than opening it up and running it for 3 minutes every couple of months.
I read here that everyone loved it yet on another forum they say there cheap junk. :( Who do I believe?
Rick

dakar
10-04-2005, 04:44 PM
I'll have to double check this evening what model I have (just remember that it was rated at 110gpd, 6-stage), I don't believe mine has a flush valve, if it does then I've never used it and maybe should be?

Though I will say this, my tap water measures at 380ish TDS, and I got a consistant 0 TDS from it for the at least the first 2K gallons of filtered water, when TDS hit 3ppm I just changed the resin and she's right back to 0. Now I'm pulling over 100 gallons a week from her, generally have it running 24x7 5 days a week (crappy line pressure is around 30 PSI so it takes a while). But in all honestly if it caught fire today I'd have another by the weeks end, and in no way feel like I'd been ripped off.

I'll check this evening when I get home and post it in a few hours, unless someone else chimes in before I can get there.

rickm
10-04-2005, 05:19 PM
Thanks, I believe after close inspection that it goes to the drain.It has to because there's nothing else left to go to the drain.Apparently under normal operation the valve is open, I think to flush the membrane you close the valve and this must stop the waste water from going out flushing the membrane.The manuel is for model 100 and 106 so it's not in there.Just a paper clipping added to the manuel showing the valve picture.

rickm
10-04-2005, 05:31 PM
OK I'll get this right sooner or later.Under normal operation the valve is closed.From what I can see in there with a flashlight there's a hole the size of a pin for the waste water to go out. When flushing the valve is open giving it an opening the size of the tubing.This apparently is how it gets flushed by letting the waste water out without any back pressure.

rickm
10-04-2005, 06:18 PM
Well it's up and running.I'm using the TDS Meter from Filter Direct.My well water coming out my faucet is only 87 ppm.I have a home filter system for my well water and it seems to be still working.After about a 1/2 gallon or so of running my TDS meter is now reading 0 ppm coming out the RO/DI filter.As I figured it's just trickling out do to water pressure.But thats all right I'll have a 30 gl rubbermaid tub to hold my auto top off water and will also use for water changes.

dakar
10-04-2005, 07:09 PM
The sticker on mine claims it is a model RO6100DINT, but sounds like you have it sorted out now. This one has the automatic shut off, when you close the output line and the pressure reaches it's cutoff point it turns off the incoming water and the waste water lines.

With lower pressure they'll just run a bit slower, it takes mine about 24 hours to fill a 32g trashcan.

rickm
10-04-2005, 07:42 PM
Yes I tried the auto shutoff by putting a ball valve on the end of my output line and shutting it.Now the bad news water started leaking out my DI filter end caps.I tried tightning them by hand but as I figured couldn't turn any more to tighten.My large channel locks are in my van at work so I can't see if I can stop the leaks. :(

dakar
10-04-2005, 08:10 PM
There should be an o-ring on both ends.... now that you mention it mine was the same way, they overfilled the resin chamber a bit, managed to get some of the resin behind the o-ring and it leaked under pressure... I just removed the caps cleaned the threads and o-ring and removed a small bit of the resin and put it back together, that solved the leak and only hand tight. I don't think the plastic will stand up to any serious force like handtools. If that doesn't solve it, maybe a bit of teflon tape on the threads, but don't think that should be needed, if it is I'd hollar at filterdirect and let them know, they've been easy to work with and will likely shoot you a new resin stage if needed.

rickm
10-04-2005, 08:37 PM
Exactly! I went down and took the end caps off that were leaking and they had resin on the o rings, no more leaks for now.