PDA

View Full Version : Substrate & Liverock how much sand?

shovelhead91701
10-08-2005, 10:41 AM
#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Hey folks! Just wanted some input from everyone with a large tank to see about how much sand I need to start rounding up for the new 250gal. I want from 4" to 6" for this tank and had no idea how much it was gonna take to get this much coverage. Any body have a tank this size and remember how much sand it took? Thanks in advance. Shawn#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#

Guido
10-08-2005, 10:59 AM
Well, you can take the length x width x desired depth and that will give you the total cubic inches of sand you will need. A lot of places tell you how many cu. in. of sand are in a bag, just divide your total cu. in. by the amount of sand in one of the bags and that will let you know how many bags you need. I'm pretty sure that will work, if not, someone else will say something.

dakar
10-08-2005, 11:28 AM
Sure why not throw math at him too.... I used 4 50lb bags in our 180 to get a 2" sandbed. That's 6'x2', you are probably looking at needing 3-400 lbs of sand, maybe more, can't remember the bottom dimensions of your new tank.... she's scheduled to be next week huh?

shovelhead91701
10-08-2005, 12:33 PM
#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Duh!#ed_op#IMG src="/richedit/smileys/4.gif"#ed_cl#Isn't it amazing sometimes how we just ask people a question that by using the basic math we were taught in school, we should be able to answer ourselves? I feel ashamed now.....lol#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Thanks for the info though Guido! And yep, I gotta trek to the big D in Tejas next Saturday! I'm about to wet my pants in anticipation!#ed_op#IMG src="/richedit/smileys/2.gif"#ed_cl# The new tank measures: 60" long, 30"wide, and 31" deep and the guy at glasscages.com called yesterday and said it would weigh about 550lbs. so if anyone isn't busy next Saturday....... Roadtrip to Oklahoma anyone? lol#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#