PDA

View Full Version : Crabs, Urchins & Starfish Emeral Crab

flame
10-08-2005, 03:02 PM
Ok lets see what the poll says. Would you add emeral crabs to control bubble algae and why or why not.

graphixx
10-08-2005, 03:04 PM
depends on how bad it is. most of the time you can manually remove it. but if it was a pretty bad outbreak then yeah I would

graphixx
10-08-2005, 10:09 PM
emerald crabs are mostly herbivors, but every now and then they will pick at a polyp. do you have polyps in the tank right now. What inhabitants do you have in the tank????? they are considered 80% reef safe. Right now if you do not have too many polyps in your tanks I would get one and let him take care of your bubble algae and when you get that taken care of you can trade him in for credit back to your LFS.
hope this helps

graphixx

dakar
10-08-2005, 10:18 PM
We've always had them in our tanks, now in the big tank I think there are about a dozen or so. No more bubble algae to be found.

The problem is there are like 7 different species of mixtrax crabs that are commonly sold as emeralds, only 1 or maybe 2 actually eat bubble algae.

graphixx
10-08-2005, 10:19 PM
your emerald crab will be very very dark green with hairy legs and smooth claws. Yeah I have 2 of them in one of my tsnks and have polyps everywhere and they have never bothered them.

Fishez
10-08-2005, 11:50 PM
I have and emerald and he is a model citizen, Although I did blame it for eating one of my small kenya tree frags but I found it about a week later...