PDA

View Full Version : Cup Coral

BeGiNeR
10-17-2005, 05:51 PM
I have a cup coral that came on my live rock. It's still fairly small, maybe about a half cm in diameter. I was just wondering if anyone had experience with them and could give me some advice on how to care for it.

Reef_Angel
10-17-2005, 06:57 PM
Are you refering to a Pagoda Cup? I have a Pagoda Cup, and it's care is quite simple, but I'd need a better description or a photo to be sure. They eat by filtering the nutrients they need from the water column. I make sure my tank has phytoplankton such as DT's for my filter feeders. I hand feed some of my corals, and have noticed that if brine shrimp fall into the polyps on the cup, the polyps close over the food. You stated that your "cup" came on some live rock? How exactly is it attached to the rock? That information also helps make an ID on the type of "Cup Coral" you may have. Again, please post a picture if at all possible. Make sure you don't put it to close to other coral or they may get into a toxin war. The Pagoda really prefers it's own area in the tank (approx 8" between closest coral), moderate lighting, and mine prefers to lay flat or hang off rockwork. It's fun getting a free hitchhiker as long as it something good. I always manage to get less than desireable things. :( Congratulations if you got yourself a Pagoda! :-)

zoo-a-holic
10-18-2005, 01:15 PM
#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#yea, they are neat little things, once he gets bigger, you will deffinitly need to spot feed mysis or something like that. BTW Angel, i got me a TINY umbrella coral!!!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#

BeGiNeR
10-18-2005, 02:39 PM
I will try to post a picture of it later this week; my camera needs a new battery. I think it is a brown cup coral but I'm not sure. It is clear with what looks to be a tan to a brown base.

Reef_Angel
10-18-2005, 05:00 PM
If it's a Pagoda, it may turn out to be a nice green color.

davejnz
10-18-2005, 08:38 PM
What kind of LR did it come on?I've seen plenty of stoney corals hitchhike in on Caribbean/FL/Gulf LR before.The only stoney coral i've seen hitchhike in on Indo Pacific rock is Porites.

BeGiNeR
10-20-2005, 09:03 PM
<DIV>The live rock is from Florida.

davejnz
10-21-2005, 01:03 AM
those are common w/Fl LR.have to look up the latin name for you.They dont need light thats why they are thanscluscent.

davejnz
10-21-2005, 08:32 PM
They belong to the Family Rhizangiidae and most likey the Genus Colangia.I'm not sure of the species so you can just call it Colangia sp.