PDA

View Full Version : Magi Klean

igot2gats
06-10-2011, 09:53 AM
Anyone ever use this?

HYDOR componenti per acquari (http://www.hydor.com/prodotti/show/famprod/51/list/17)

CalmSeasQuest
06-10-2011, 10:36 AM
I've never used it, but the comments on Amazon weren't very impressive...

Amazon.com: Hydor Magi-Klean Aquarium Pump and Accessory Cleaner 3 Pack: Kitchen & Dining@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51FIOfGqE%2BL.@@AMEPARAM@@51FIOfGqE%2BL (http://www.amazon.com/Hydor-Magi-Klean-Aquarium-Accessory-Cleaner/dp/B0041JS1ZW)

I've found that using vinegar heated in the microwave literally blasts calcium and mineral deposits off most any surface in just a few minutes.

larryandlaura
06-10-2011, 06:56 PM
I have used it. It works ok, bit not worth the money.

CableGuy
06-10-2011, 06:58 PM
Go to Ace and get the highest acid % of vinegar and soak it in that and water for 24 hours. The calcium will rub off like mush by your fingers.

larryandlaura
06-10-2011, 07:33 PM
Thanks for the tip. I will try it soon.

that Reef Guy
03-25-2013, 12:36 AM
I've never used it, but the comments on Amazon weren't very impressive...

Amazon.com: Hydor Magi-Klean Aquarium Pump and Accessory Cleaner 3 Pack: Kitchen & Dining (http://www.amazon.com/Hydor-Magi-Klean-Aquarium-Accessory-Cleaner/dp/B0041JS1ZW)

I've found that using vinegar heated in the microwave literally blasts calcium and mineral deposits off most any surface in just a few minutes.

How hot do you want the Vinegar?

I don't want to damage my Power Heads by using something that is too hot.

MizTanks
03-25-2013, 06:38 AM
I heat 1 cup for about 60 seconds in the microwave. Seems to do the job well without damage. Coralline & deposits literally dissolve right off :) I buy the gallon size of distilled White Vinegar from The Dollar Store :)

Tropical Buff
03-25-2013, 06:38 AM
I am running 4 pumps on their wavemaker system, and have had issues in the past of the Front covers cracking. As a result the pumps would run backwards. Hydor has always been very good about sending me replacement parts. When I asked what I am doing wrong or I can do different, they asked about my cleaning methods which has always been with Vinager. Based on this conversation, it was brought to my attention that the vinager is damaging the pump cover. I have since switched to Magi-Klean and have not had any issues in quite some time.

I agree that the vinager seemed to do a better job however my pumps have been working trouble free with the Magi-Klean

MizTanks
03-25-2013, 06:46 AM
I am running 4 pumps on their wavemaker system, and have had issues in the past of the Front covers cracking. As a result the pumps would run backwards. Hydor has always been very good about sending me replacement parts. When I asked what I am doing wrong or I can do different, they asked about my cleaning methods which has always been with Vinager. Based on this conversation, it was brought to my attention that the vinager is damaging the pump cover. I have since switched to Magi-Klean and have not had any issues in quite some time.

I agree that the vinager seemed to do a better job however my pumps have been working trouble free with the Magi-Klean

Of course they're going to tell you that. They make the Magi-Klean. I used vinegar on my Koralias (and everything else)for 2yrs, never an issue.
Then again when the vinegar is heated you don't have to let your equipment sit in it for hours for it to work. 15-20min at the most.

binford4000
03-25-2013, 07:03 AM
Of course they're going to tell you that. They make the Magic Clean. I used vinegar on my Koralias (and everything else)for 2yrs, never an issue.
Then again when the vinegar is heated you don't have to let your equipment sit in it for hours for it to work. 15-20min at the most.

Good point ! I always run my PH in the vinager/RO mix. Works great. I used the magic clean twice. No wow moment either time. I can buy allot vinegar for what this stuff cost!

pjr
03-25-2013, 07:32 AM
I used the Magi-Clean a few times and love the stuff. It cleans frag racks, pumps, and other gear ultra clean for me with minimal effort. I'll even use a batch over several days, soaking one pump or device at a time. I haven't had the same luck with vinegar.... but maybe I am dilutinit with too much water.

MizTanks
03-25-2013, 11:46 AM
I used the Magi-Clean a few times and love the stuff. It cleans frag racks, pumps, and other gear ultra clean for me with minimal effort. I'll even use a batch over several days, soaking one pump or device at a time. I haven't had the same luck with vinegar.... but maybe I am dilutinit with too much water.

For the price of 1 box (3pks) of magi-klean I can buy 4-5gallons of vinegar :) Which enables me to NOT dilute it at all. That's right, I use no water at all and within minutes the coralline and calcium deposits just disappear. No soaking required :)

pinhigh1886
03-25-2013, 09:06 PM
I have also used Magi-clean and was not impressed. It works but no better than vinegar IMO.

tcp316
03-25-2013, 11:15 PM
When you heat the cup of vinegar, do you just add it to a bucket of RO? What percentage of water to vinegar do you use? I usually soak overnight but it would be great if I could take out both PH's and get them clean in a less than an hour.
I am already planning on cleaning them tomorrow. Was going to do it today but hubby was home today down in his back and I didn't want to disturb him.

---------- Post added at 12:15 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:12 AM ----------

Miz Tanks, i just saw where you don't dilute it at all.:doh:
I will definitely try that tomorrow.
I love this site. Just a wealth of tidbits and information.:highfive3:

MizTanks
03-26-2013, 05:54 AM
When you heat the cup of vinegar, do you just add it to a bucket of RO? What percentage of water to vinegar do you use? I usually soak overnight but it would be great if I could take out both PH's and get them clean in a less than an hour.
I am already planning on cleaning them tomorrow. Was going to do it today but hubby was home today down in his back and I didn't want to disturb him.

---------- Post added at 12:15 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:12 AM ----------

Miz Tanks, i just saw where you don't dilute it at all.:doh:
I will definitely try that tomorrow.
I love this site. Just a wealth of tidbits and information.:highfive3:

I just use an old Tupperware container-add enough White Distilled Vinegar to cover PH-toss in microwave for 2min (gotta be hot) then add PH-within minutes they're clean. I have an ole nail brush/hand brush and give them a once over. Rinse well and done!

pjr
04-08-2013, 12:29 PM
I have purchased some vinegar today, and hope to use it to clean out a storage container that has some lime deposits on it. So, how much water do you add to vinegar? And how well does something have to be rinsed off before returning it to your tank? Do you need to neutralize the vinegar via any process once the cleaning is complete?