PDA

View Full Version : Breeding Journal: Pterapogon Kauderni (Banggai Cardinal)

FlynnFish
06-25-2011, 02:25 PM
Breeding Journal DataSheet

This first post should be updated regularly to include new information as events take place
or changes are made to your system

General
Species: Pterapogon Kauderni (Banggai Cardinal)
Social Structure: pair
Size of Individuals: 3 inches
Age of Individuals: unknown
Date added to Tank: March 19th 2011

Broodstock Tank Details
Size of Tank: 30 gallon
Substrate Details: crushed coral, mineral mud
Filtration Details: tank is the filter for a 180 gallon mixed reef
Water Changes: 25% every two weeks
Water Temperature: 78.5
Lighting: 65k shop light
Lighting Cycle: light on at 8pm lights off at 11 am
Other Tank Inhabitants: pair of true percula clowns, pair of black ocellaris clowns, chocolate chip starfish

Broodstock Feeding Details
Food Types: Rods food- breeders blend
Feeding Schedule: twice a day

Spawning Details
Date of First Spawn: 6/6/11
Spawn Time of Day: unknown
Dates of Consecutive Spawns: unknown
Courtship Details: unknown
Egg Size: large 3-4mm diameter
Egg Color: clear
Egg Count: 10

Hatch Details
Hatch Date: 6-24-11
Hatch Time of Day: 10:58am
# Days after Spawn: unknown
Larvae Description: clear bodies- one black stripe on gill plate- large egg yolk sac on abdomen- yolk sac roughly same size of larva head

Larval Tank Details
Temperature: 79.2
Size of Larval Tank: 24 gallon nano-cube
Substrate Details: black hawaiian aragalive
Other Tank Decor: rocks, anenome, soft corals
Filtration Details: standard filtration unit for nano
Lighting: compact floresence
Lighting Cycle: lights on at 10:30am lights off at 10:30pm
Water Changes: 25% biweekly

Larval Feeding Details
Food Types: Baby brine shrimp
Feeding Schedule: whenever I walk past the tank

Metamorphosis/Settlement
Date of Settlement Start: 6/29/11
Days after Hatch: 5
Date of Settlement End: 6/29/11
Description of Fry: miniature adults with huge eyes

Grow-Out Tank Details
Temperature: 78
Size of Grow-Out Tank: 13.2 gallons of a 120 gallon system
Substrate Details: bare bottom
Other Tank Decor: mushroom coral
Filtration Details: filter sock, live sand bed, live rock, skimmer, bio-pellet reactor
Lighting: vho
Lighting Cycle: light on at 9:30am lights off at 10:30pm
Water Changes: 30% bi wekly
Size at Transfer: 1/2 inch long
Age at Transfer: 26 days

Grow-Out Feeding Details
Food Types: TDO C2
Feeding Schedule: two to three times a week

Additional Information
Miscellaneous Information: The female of my pair died about two weeks ago. I thought i lost my male cardinal. the "female" wasn't eating since i lost the "male" thinking she lost her mate and was in some state of depression. i went to the store got another cardinal, place it in my 24 nanocube. caught the "female" cardinal out of the sump, placed "her" in a bag and into the 24 nano. I left for a few minutes to let the bags temperature acclimate. went back to see my "female" with eggs in the bottom of the bag! I removed the now male from the bag after proper acclimation and placed them into a breeder net in the tank with the now hatched larval fish to make sure he wasn't going to spit out more. after a few minutes I removed the male from the net. After speaking with Tal, I tried to see if the male was going to eat anything and he didn't, so I assume that he may have more eggs in his mouth. I've seperated the male from other cardinal that is in the tank so that there is no probability that anthing bad will happen to him.

FlynnFish
06-25-2011, 02:47 PM
Here is an old picture of the male and female together. The female is the top one and the male is the bottom.
http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn201/shannyfly/bangaiicardinals.jpg

I don't have any recent pictures as of yet, I will take some this evening.

FlynnFish
06-25-2011, 03:46 PM
phone pic of four of the babies

fishtal
06-25-2011, 05:58 PM
Cute little buggers. :)

jimsflies
06-25-2011, 06:17 PM
Very cool!

FlynnFish
06-25-2011, 10:24 PM
Got better pictures of the dad and the babies.

Dad
http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn201/shannyfly/IMG_2890.jpg

9 babies - 1 day old
http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn201/shannyfly/IMG_2892.jpg

FlynnFish
06-26-2011, 11:50 AM
The father spit out one more baby this morning, so now there are ten babies. :)

FlynnFish
06-27-2011, 05:53 PM
the babies are now eating newly hatched baby brine shrimp. :thumbsup:

larryandlaura
06-28-2011, 07:48 AM
Awesome congratulations! It makes me want to start breeding.

FlynnFish
06-29-2011, 09:44 AM
Went to check on the fish early this morning and the male cardinal (Buba) spit out 8 more babies. there are 18 total now, male still looks like he could be holding more, if so i 'll have to strip them from him as I will be away for a while and dont want him to eat any he may spit out during that time.

http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn201/shannyfly/18banggaibabies.jpg

FlynnFish
06-29-2011, 01:58 PM
I grabbed Buba and opened his mouth with a skewer and three more babies popped out. I checked again and Buba spit a mouth full of water at me to let me know he didn't have anymore. :) The grand total of number of fish is 21. :peace:

FlynnFish
07-15-2011, 10:37 AM
Banggai babies are doing great, I lost 4 of them for reasons unkown. But the rest are growing strong. They are on a diet of Baby brine shrimp and Top Dressed Otohime B1.

FlynnFish
08-28-2011, 10:47 PM
Banggai's are 60 days post settlement today!!!!

http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn201/shannyfly/IMG_3228.jpg

FlynnFish
10-20-2011, 03:30 PM
Back, I believe, in August I lost the male Cardinal for reasons unkown. I still have two of the babies. My Husband surprised me with a new pair On September 19th and 4 days later the female died. The male wasn't eating I left him be for a week thinking he may be holding eggs, who knows. I checked his mouth nothing inside. Still wouldn't eat a week later. Hmmm. So last week I brought home another 4 banggais, all juveniles. I have them seperated at the time being. For the first few days they didn't eat. I tried brine, i tried rods frozen food, I tried flakes, and I tried pellets. Nothin'. On Sunday I was cleaning out my filter sock and was going to toss the Amphipods back into the sump but I tossed them in with the new banggais, they ate them faster than they could swim to the bottom of the tank! I quickly ran to the freezer and grabbed the brine shrimp. Two of the new ones ate the Brine! Yes progress!! The next day I fed more Amphipods and some Rods Food mixed with Blood Worms. My two babies that only ate copepods were eating the rods mixture, and all of the new banggais were now eating! Whoo hoo!! I fed the one large male banggai some Brine. Not interested. I tried to feed mysis, ate a little bit But raised his nose at the rest. Yesterday I fed them all the Rods Mixture and some Brine and they all ate for me. YAY!!!! One of the new ones will eat out of my fingers!
So i'm hoping they will all continue to eat well and grow quickly, so I can start pairing them up and see what I have to work with. I just got so dissapointed with loosing the first pair and then one off my second pair. But now things are looking brighter!

FlynnFish
11-10-2011, 01:46 PM
I lost one of the new banggais and one of my babies. :( but 4 out of the 5 are eating frozen foods. one is still really picky about what it eats. other than that everything is still looking good.

FlynnFish
12-01-2011, 01:03 PM
a pair has formed.
http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn201/shannyfly/2011-12-01094643.jpg
I will start a new breeding thread on the new pair soon.

FlynnFish
12-07-2011, 01:38 PM
Thread moved to MBI site- you can view it here
Breeding Journal, Species: Pterapogon Kauderni (http://www.mbisite.org/Forums/fb.ashx?m=64630)

FlynnFish
12-14-2011, 07:15 AM
WE HAVE EGGS!!! you can view the thread through the link in the above post:)