PDA

View Full Version : Crabs, Urchins & Starfish crab ID safe/unsafe

crawdad
11-17-2005, 06:06 PM
#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#is this crab ok? it seems harmless to me and very hard to see.I hope the picture is good enough.This is the most ive ever seen of him.#ed_op#IMG alt="image file name: 2k2954801413.jpg" src="http://www.captivereefing.com/richedit/upload/2k2954801413.jpg" border=0#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#

crawdad
11-17-2005, 06:08 PM
#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#its got black claws its body is about as big as a nickel.tan in color with some black.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#

graphixx
11-17-2005, 07:54 PM
that my friend looks like a gorilla crab, I would get him out, if you have fish in there like blennys or mandarins they snatch them, they are mean little buggars, if you have a sump banish him to it.

KG
11-17-2005, 10:03 PM
#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Most have the opinion that all crabs are bad since they are opportunistic and can become a eventual problem.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#KG#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#

crawdad
11-18-2005, 06:36 PM
#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#well that will be a tough one to catch.luckly i dont have any bottom feeding fish.im not worried about him eating any of my fish.Yellow Tang ,clowny,and 2 other damsels are all the fish i have i just dont want him to mess up any of my coral.he seems to just be cleaning the LR,but i will definetly try to keep a good eye on him#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#

graphixx
11-18-2005, 06:39 PM
yeah they are opportunistic, if they can catch it they will kill it and eat it. I would think about getting rid of him yo never know he may get lucky and snatch one of your fish