PDA

View Full Version : Reef Aquarium Fish blue tang??

kui loach
11-20-2005, 06:27 PM
#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I have a 58 gallon aquarium that I started in September. Since then I have added a yellow tang, a clown fish(percula), and a goby; along with 12 snails. Later in the future will I ever be able to add a blue tang or a blue chromisand another clownfish same species to the tank? Will they be peaceful together or fight? Thanks for any help. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#

dakar
11-20-2005, 08:15 PM
58g isn't a large amount of room for more than one tang. They will likely outgrow your tank. For a single tang you should be okay for a couple years (is you started with a juvenile). I'd hestitate adding another.

Chromis in general are quite peaceful and do well in a groups, unlike damsels which tend to get very agressive/territorial.

As far as the percs go adding them at the same time generally works out best, however if later, you best odds of a peaceful pair seems to be ensuring the newest added is smaller than your current resident.

Minus the extra tang your additions should be fine.... added slowly and not just all at once to give your tank time to adjust to increased bioload.

kui loach
11-20-2005, 09:18 PM
Thanks for the help. I will definitely add the fish over a
period of time. If I had a yellow tang, 2 percs, 2-3 blue
chromis 2 gobies in a 58 gallon tank Is that too many
fish ? I want no stress. What is the general rule for the
number of fish per tank? In freshwater tanks, it is one inch fish
/ gallon what is it for saltwater tanks? Thanks for all your help.

csg148
11-21-2005, 11:35 AM
#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Im very new to this myself, but my understanding is for the most part its 2 gallons per inch of fish. I think that rule might be a bit different for tangs which I believe want alot of swimming room.I wouldntmake the same mistake I did, I've got to plan on getting rid of two of my fish that will outgrow my tank too soon unfortunately. Hope this helps and I hope I'm giving you correct info.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#

Whoyah
11-21-2005, 12:19 PM
The general rule of thumb is 1 inch of fish per 5 gallons in a reef. Some folks don't count the tails and you need to consider body mass too. I use a medium chromis as my as my fish measuring stick. For an example, you could have 11 medium chromis in 55 gallon tank and meet that 1" to 5 gallon rule. A yellow tang has a bigger body so it would equal 2 chromis, IMO. Fish like triggers and lion fish have thick bodies so they count as more. Hopefully this makes sense.

If I had a yellow tang, 2 percs, 2-3 blue
chromis 2 gobies in a 58 gallon tank Is that too many
fish ?

I think you would be fine with this set of fish. Just watch your water parameters.

dakar
11-21-2005, 05:13 PM
The whole formula idea is based on the amount of wastes generated by the fish... if you are not planning on keeping coral in the tank you should be fine, fish are more tolerant of higher nitrates, to a point anyhows. If you are wanting to keep coral then I'd cut the number back until you are certain you system can effectively deal with the wastes over longer periods of time. Nitrates in small quanities < 15ppm is generally tolerated by most soft coral, but any traces of ammonia of nitrite can be deadly.

kui loach
11-21-2005, 06:43 PM
#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Thanks for the help. I will proceed slowly. I definitely want to add coral later. Thanks for the input#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#