PDA

View Full Version : Seahorses & Pipefish David P's Pony Corral

JustDavidP
11-21-2005, 12:09 PM
Per request from Angel and others, I've decided to post a 'living document' kind of thread about my 26 gallon Hippocampus Reidi tank. This will document it's construction, any additions to the system, the inhabitants, and the growth/lifecycle therein.

Enjoy!
Dave

JustDavidP
11-21-2005, 12:30 PM
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d176/JustDavidP/full.jpg

Tank Specifications:
26 Gallon AGA Bow Front
AGA Pine Stand
DIY Pine Hood
32W Smartlight PC (Soon to be switched to 2X55W PC)
2X3/4 W LED Moonlighting
1" DIY drilled overflow assembly
7 Gallon DIY Acrylic Sump (4 gallon hold during operation)
Mag7 Return Pump (with ball valve for precise tuning)
Dual over corner return nozzles (only constant flow in the tank)
Rio 50 powerhead on a timer (set low, runs just 10 min per day to clean rock and sand)
150W Jalli heater w/external control
AquaC Remora HOT Skimmer (hangs on sump)

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d176/JustDavidP/Sump1.jpg

JustDavidP
11-21-2005, 12:35 PM
Inside the 'box':

5 inches of mixed Southdown and Live Sand
24 LBS of mixed Fiji and Tonga Branch Live Rock
Caulerpa Serrulata (Razor Caulerpa)
Caulerpa Prolifera
2 Lg. Featherdusters
1 Red Tree Sponge
Assorted fake coral for hitching posts
3 Peppermint Shrimp#ed_op
1 Black/Tan Banded Serpent Star
1 Blue Mandarin
3 pair of Hippocampus Reidi Seahorses
Dozens of Blue Legged Hermit Crabs
A handful of Scarlet Hermit Crabs
1/2 Dozen Nassarius Snails
2 Lg. Turbo Snails
6 Astrea Snails
A Gazillion pods and mysid

JustDavidP
11-21-2005, 12:47 PM
First batch of babies born on 11/7/2005 - 175 fry
Second batch of babies born on 11/20/2005 - 235
Babies are born in a 'pelagic' state where they simply rise in the column to the water's surface. They are typically born before the sunrise and are attracted to the light. At this point, they reach the planktonic mats floating in the ocean. They take in a little air to fill the swim bladder. Too much air can cause death and/or bouyancy problems. In the wild, 99% of the fry are lost. In captivity, with the proper set up, the number rises significantly. Most people try to grow them out in a "Kreisel" system. Kreisel is German for "Spinning Top". Basically, the system is set up such that between the air flow and water flow, a circular motion is created in the bowl. Much like a Ferris Wheel at a carnival. This keeps the fry in motion (along with their food) and keeps them from sticking in the film at the top of the water, or sinking and settling on the bottom. They stay in this system for as long as it takes for them to begin to 'hitch'. At that point, they can be moved to a smallish tank with a simple foam filter.

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d176/JustDavidP/reactor.jpg

JustDavidP
11-21-2005, 01:05 PM
Some of the Pony Pics:

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d176/JustDavidP/colorfulpreggers.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d176/JustDavidP/Pony2.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d176/JustDavidP/closeboy.jpg

Tom McKenna
11-21-2005, 03:44 PM
SWWWEEEETTTT Pics You going to sell some of the little ones? Im looking for seahorse. I set up a 28 gallon bowfront just for them and pipefish and stuff like that. If so very interested

Dirt4dinner
11-21-2005, 04:01 PM
I am entirely to new to this hobby to attempt a seahorse tank...but I want to thank you for those pictures and explanation. Simply amazing little critters! Fantastic photos too. Keep up the good work, and keep us all posted on how the little ones are coming along. THANKS!

JustDavidP
11-22-2005, 07:35 AM
Thanks all...

Yes, I do plan on selling most of them. I can't keep more than 3 or 4 pair myself. I will be keeping select males and females to keep my 'herd' going strong. Other than that, I hope to sell to local LFS and hobbiests to help pay for the breeding program itself. You'd be amazed what it costs to make all this water, rotifers, greenwater, BBS etc.

Dave

carpenterwrasse
11-22-2005, 10:18 AM
Dave help a guy out with specs on how to do what you have done

JustDavidP
11-22-2005, 10:22 AM
Specs? Like what? The info above and images as well should help. What is it that you are interested in? I have no problems answering questions, but wouldn't want to ramble on about things that you don't care about.

Building with acrylic? DIY hoods? Drilling for overflows? Ask...and thy shall receive.

Dave

perpetual98
11-30-2005, 12:03 PM
Hi David. Long time no talk. I've got a 26G bowfront that I'm just itching to turn into a seahorse tank. Right now there's not much in the tank besides some live rock, some zooes and some GSP along with a red banded goby and it's candy cane pistol shrimp. The shrimp/fish pair could easily be switched to another tank though in a pinch. The tank has been set up for a while and has an HOB refuge on the back that grow cheato like mad. I'm currently lighting the tank with a 150W HQI pendant, but I'm thinking about switching it to a 24" T5 setup that I've got in my garage. What else do you think I'd need for the switch to a seahorse tank? I was going to try to raise some BC's in there (like you've done in the past) but I think the wife would appreciate ponies more.

Are you going to ship ponies when they grow up a bit?

Later!
Eric

JustDavidP
12-01-2005, 09:59 AM
Yo Eric.. whaddup?

You could leave the shrimp goby pair there. They aren't too aggressive and wouldn't be much of a problem with seahorses. I had a yellow watchman with mine until it passed away :( I have a mandarin in my 26 bow with the ponies now.

SHs don't need much light. Although some have kept them under MH. I note that my horses prefer areas of subdued lighting. PC would be fine. As a matter of fact, you should really base your light needs on the other tank mates and not the ponies.

Other than that, you'd need hitching posts of sorts.

If you are a successful reef keeper, you will be (IMHO) a good pony keeper. This tank is soooo much easier than my 75G was.

Dave

PS...visit seahorse.org and look at other tank set ups for good ideas.

Dave

perpetual98
12-01-2005, 06:15 PM
I should try to get my hands on some tonga branch. I suppose I could even go with dead 'base' tonga. What do you use for hitching posts? Natural stuff or fake plants?

I've got some large hunks of LR in the tank now that are rather ugly that I'd probably move out and replace with something elongated.

I think my 4x24W T5 setup would be ok. Nothing light needing in that tank really besides some shrooms and a couple zoo polyps. I can probably use the 150W over another tank.

Any other suggestions off the top of your head?

Are you going to be shipping any ponies, or just local pickup?

JustDavidP
12-02-2005, 08:23 AM
I'd use some of that 'ugly' live rock as base rock for the pony tank. I did the same. Then add tonga branch to the top of it to make that 'lagoon' look. Depending on the canopy/hood that you use, you could also use mangroves and have their roots intertwined with the rock. The bottom line is, you want to create an environ much like the lagoon's edge where it meets the reef crest or atols just before the drop off to the shelves etc. Dry Tonga would work just fine. Actually, it may ensure that you don't introduce hydroids, aptasia and other nasties that do not mix well with ponies.

I use a few fake plastic corals as hitching posts as well. The ponies will use the Tonga Branch, but the colors of the fake corals help the ponies 'associate' with the cover and they will color up more. I bought a fake "octopus coral" from "That Pet Place" for like 10 bucks. I then hacked it up with clippers to make individual branches from 3" to 7" tall. I placed them around the tank in the sand and on the rock. HOWEVER, I am switching to 2X55W PC and will be putting monti digi in the system as well as a couple photosynthetic gorgonians. When/if they settle in and mature, I plan on removing the fake corals.

The only other thing to keep in mind is your water flow. Unlike a reef, (10X turnover), the ponies need somewhere between 3 and 5X turnover. Otherwise, they'll not feed well and could be blasted all around the tank.

I'm working on consolodating and posting my notes on here, Seahorse.org and other sites. It should happen within the next couple weeks. It WILL be a working document; updated often. It already has all my notes about tank set up, water quality, feeding, breeding notes, the set up of a pseudo-kreisel etc.

I may ship. Dunno... I've not planned that far in advance. We shall see.

Dave

carpenterwrasse
12-02-2005, 01:37 PM
sorry to get back to you so late but busy busy busy....Whats with the egg crate on the bottom and what kind of filter are you running with the fry

JustDavidP
12-02-2005, 02:49 PM
The egg crated does nothing more than keep the bowls at the same water level as that in the tank. Others have used large clamps to do the same. I just happen to like to build :D

The filter used is a cascade mini (though I also use a penguin mini) and filters the water from the tank, not the bowls. It has been modified with tubing at the output to provide fresh water (and motion) to the bowls.

Dave

perpetual98
12-02-2005, 03:03 PM
Now I'm too afraid of ponies. I think I could supply a couple of ponies a nice home but I don't think I'm in any way equiped for fry. I also wouldn't know where to buy ponies locally. The LFS by me wanted $149 for a pair that they had in their tank a few weeks back when I was in there. I haven't had the greatest luck with hainv fish shipped to me and I'm not so sure how much I'd want to have ponies shipped to me.

Reef_Angel
12-02-2005, 03:33 PM
Thank you for all the informative info regarding thefabulous work & success you've chosen to share with all of us who now have the urge to try raising Seahorsesourselves. I've had my tank up and in the wall, it's cycled, and I've been slowly and surely adding everything thatSea Horses are going to thrive in. When I'm sure I have everything they need to live and thrive successfully, my thought was to add some pipe fish first, and then whenspring comes around I would add my first pair of Sea Horses. What are your opinions on this idea David? My feeling was that I could certainly have the tank well prepared, and the environment thriving for the species. I don't know that I have any interest in raising & selling them unless I knew I had a real good source thatcould be relied upon to care for and sell the fry. All the "horses" I've raised in my life have always been more for the pleasure of having them. Of course the 4 legged kind with fur were awfully fun to show in speed classes! :) You mentioned that you use some fake coral pieces, and it appears that you have quite a bit of Tonga branch in the tank also. I was going to put that in originally, but at the very beginning when you were starting out, you had stated that the fake coral seemed to be what they were more attached to since it was smother. I still have all my Tonga, so should I add that back in? I appreciate all you have helped me with. I'm just taking it very slow and sure so I do it correctly and not at the expense of the ponies. I'm surprised and excited to see there are so many people that are interested in the undertaking of the Seahorse Hobby. Dave and I were just talking about this wonderful posting from DavidP, and will be working along with him to create an area to house the "priceless" information he's sharing with all of us! Thanks David!! You are a wonderful member that is freely sharing some well researched information! Talk to you soon to discuss this further. Thank You Again from both Dakar & I!:) ......Angel :angel7:

carpenterwrasse
12-03-2005, 11:48 AM
dave's the pony man thanks for the info and am tring to work up the nerve to tell the wife i want to build a stable in the living room somewheremight have to lose the big big and go stone age though...maybe not the boob tube but somewhere any more questions dave you are my main source..

JustDavidP
12-05-2005, 10:28 PM
He he he.... I think I started an epidemic...

Angel.. Use the tonga... the larger the ponies get, the more they'll like the tonga. Toss a couple fake coral branches in there for color and additional posts.... I'm switching my light to 2X55 PC and going for montiopora and photosyntetic gorgs....just hate the 'faux' stuff.

Pipefish....wellllll.... you'll be in an endless arguement with me here... find me a variety that "THRIVES" in captivity....and I'll show you the perfect tankmate for ponies. Seahorses are now "THRIVING" in our tanks...due to the research etc. Pipes aren't quite there..yet.. .in a couple few years...I may try them. For now..they should live in the wild...or with the sea dragons that I'd not do justice for either.

Gotta run... just saw an 'egg transfer' between Seabiscuit and PonyBoy (again) and now have just two weeks to clean the Kreisel and start...again!

D

JustDavidP
12-05-2005, 10:31 PM
BTW.....IMHO.. Mandarins are WONDERFUL tankmates for sygnathids...as long as you can get one who eats frozen.

DPerry