PDA

View Full Version : 2011 Grow Out Contest - sponsored by Inland Hobby

jimsflies
09-15-2011, 09:33 AM
To get in on this contest, members will need to purchase a contest frag pack for $50 (please send as a gift to avoid paypal fees) that consists of 4-5 polyp frags of the eight zoanthids in the photo above...more than 30 polyps total. Don't delay as the number of packs are limited.

If it wasn't enough that participants get an awesome deal on 8 colorful Z&P frags (more than 30 polyps total), participants will be competing for an opportunity to win an Inland ReefKeeper Saw (http://www.inlandhobby.com/frag) with a MSRP of $284.95! Donated by Inland Hobby (http://www.inlandhobby.com/frag).

http://www.captivereefs.com/forum/images/dto_vendor/banner/1060_2.gif (http://www.inlandhobby.com/frag)

The contest rules are pretty simple:

1. Start a thread in the Grow Out Contest Forum (http://www.captivereefs.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=150). Be sure to select the "2011 Grow Out" subtopic when you create the thread.
2. Post updated photos of the frags progress at least once per month along with any dialog to document the number of polyps on each frag, system changes including water changes, bulb changes, dosing regime, fragging, etc.
3. Your system should be detailed in a Member's Reef (http://www.captivereefs.com/forum/members-reefs/) thread so we know what type of flow, lighting, etc. you have.
4. The contest will run from September 25, 2011 to March 31, 2012.
5. The winner will be chosen by drawing a frag at random. The frag will be posted at the end of the contest and participants will need to submit their final count for that frag via pm along with photos. In the event of a tie, a second frag will be drawn and winners will have to submit counts and photos for that frag. It will be in your best interest, even if you only have one frag surviving to stick with the contest as that may be the counted.

http://www.captivereefs.com/forum/images/icons/vbactivity/medals/grow-out-crown.pngBesides the awesome frag pack and the kick-butt grand prize, the winner receive a Grow Out King trophy which is added to his/her postbit as seen below:

If you reply to this thread you will see the email to send paypal. I'm doing this to avoid having the email get picked up by spambots. The quantity of packs is limited so please don't delay in sending payment to assure you have one.

Send Paypal for grow out to: growout@captivereefs.com

If possible, please send it as a "gift" as our margin is real tight on the frag pack

When you send the payment be sure to include your CR username.

Also indicate that you will pick up at the A2 swap or whether you will pick up locally (downriver area), or need shipping. We will get back with you regarding shipping and have you send shipping payment separately.

CalmSeasQuest
09-15-2011, 10:22 AM
Count me in - I'm going to learn how to grow Zoas if it's the last thing I do :)

Jstadler
09-15-2011, 10:39 AM
Jim. I'd like to get in on this, what is the cost of participation?

jimsflies
09-15-2011, 10:48 AM
Jim. I'd like to get in on this, what is the cost of participation?
$50 for the frag pack.

Jstadler
09-15-2011, 10:55 AM
That's in my budget. I'd like to give it a try. The only question is which tank am I gonna put them in.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

estanoche
09-15-2011, 11:37 AM
Wow! What a neat contest ;) I want to play too.... guess that also means I need to get off my butt and start a tank thread now too so ya know whats in my tank :stupidme: haha

jimsflies
09-15-2011, 11:46 AM
That's in my budget. I'd like to give it a try. The only question is which tank am I gonna put them in.

If we have enough packs to have any left over, there is also a possibility to get a second pack to enter both tanks. That can be a neat thing because it gives you a true comparison between your systems.

These contests have a secondary goal, assuming everyone does their updates, of providing information to the reefing community regarding how well various methods and equipment work to grow zoanthids and palys. For example last year's contest was won by jolson10450 with LED lighting which helped me make the decision to try LEDs on my tank.

BTW- This contest is open to all to enter...including mods, admins, team cr, etc.

MizTanks
09-15-2011, 12:53 PM
$50+ what's shipping?

Reef keeper
09-15-2011, 12:59 PM
+1^ great contest

bigbill
09-15-2011, 01:50 PM
count me in

bluwc
09-15-2011, 03:10 PM
Are you allowed to frag the frags?....or do you just have to let them grow....

jimsflies
09-15-2011, 04:14 PM
Are you allowed to frag the frags?....or do you just have to let them grow....
Sure...you have to document everything you did in order to qualify to win.

rulost2001
09-15-2011, 05:05 PM
this is great.....way to go on this one.....it is really gonna help me to understand growing these critters.....yes! i cant do this one ....cuz my stuff doesnt really "grow" it eats and sits there and is sweet....im gonna learn something !!!!

thanks CR
thanks INLAND HOBBIES

WILL REMEMBER THIS BLESSING

XSiVE
09-15-2011, 05:51 PM
Edited: Sorry I have to take back my enthusiasm.

Gotta spend the cash on the recent heater issues plus made prior commitments for purchases at the swap :(

jimsflies
09-15-2011, 05:53 PM
$50+ what's shipping?
Overnight shipping will be around $60 to Marquette. We can look into ground, but it does increase the chance of problems. I suppose this time of year is as good as it gets to do the ground shipping.

Sir Patrick
09-15-2011, 08:00 PM
I am in!!!! I have the perfect spot......

Paulo
09-15-2011, 08:09 PM
Im In! will try to post this year. Hope not too busy lol.

MyNemesis
09-15-2011, 08:50 PM
Some of those zoas look vaguely familiar. Do we have a list of the names of the growout frags?

Wy Renegade
09-15-2011, 09:33 PM
I'm willing to try again this year as well. Count me in and let me know the shipping.

AJ :)
09-16-2011, 10:59 AM
I'm in!

Where do I send the money?

jimsflies
09-16-2011, 11:48 AM
If you reply to this thread you will see the email to send paypal. I'm doing this to avoid having the email get picked up by spambots. The quantity of packs is limited so please don't delay in sending payment to assure you have one.

If possible, please send it as a "gift" as our margin is real tight on the frag pack

Also indicate that you will pick up at the A2 swap or whether you will pick up locally (downriver area), or need shipping. We will get back with you regarding shipping and have you send shipping payment separately.

sdavis43
09-16-2011, 06:21 PM
count me in payment sent

Jstadler
09-16-2011, 07:55 PM
Payment sent. If you need more of a shipping address to estimate shipping please pm me.

Sir Patrick
09-16-2011, 10:41 PM
Any chance at getting to pick up at the A2 swap again this year?

jimsflies
09-16-2011, 11:10 PM
Yup pickup in A2 is the plan (see first post). Shipping and other local pickup arrangements can also be made.

We need to get about 20 people in on this though...if we don't I may consider postponing till we can get enough participation.

Sir Patrick
09-17-2011, 12:18 AM
Payment sent!

nate_newton
09-17-2011, 12:56 AM
How much is shipping to 49085? And who's supplying the frags?

AJ :)
09-17-2011, 06:32 AM
I goofed on my paypal. I will pickup at the swap.

pjr
09-17-2011, 07:20 AM
count me in! p/u and $ in AA pls...

jolson10450
09-17-2011, 01:32 PM
well the tank i won with last time has been sold so i may have to get in on this again, not to sure if i am eligable to win but would be fun to participate. if i could win i would donate it because i already have one now lol

jimsflies
09-18-2011, 08:04 AM
well the tank i won with last time has been sold so i may have to get in on this again, not to sure if i am eligable to win but would be fun to participate. if i could win i would donate it because i already have one now lol

CR staff is may participate in this contest. The winner of the contest may select a $250 Inland Hobby gift certificate instead of the saw which will open up other options for members who already have saws. The GC could be used for replacement blades, diamond hole saws and other Inland Hobby products.

youngtimothy
09-18-2011, 08:24 AM
still thinking

Heidi
09-18-2011, 09:22 AM
Really wanting to do this I am sure I could sell the saw if I won. I fear I would cut off a finger or something, power tools and I don't mesh well ;) Very cool polyps... thinking... getting email... hmmmm

estanoche
09-18-2011, 04:02 PM
sent my money!! :D

MizTanks
09-19-2011, 08:15 AM
That shipping is just totally wrong :( I've never heard of shipping being that expensive. $60? Sent by Limo same day?

thefishgirl
09-19-2011, 08:26 AM
Hello long lost friends... I think I'll get in as well. :)

Dirkdaplr
09-19-2011, 08:31 AM
is this still available? Where is the pickup location?

jimsflies
09-19-2011, 08:51 AM
is this still available? Where is the pickup location?

Yes we still have packs available. First chance to pick up will be at the Ann Arbor swap (http://www.captivereefs.com/forum/reefing-events/4th-anual-annarbor-area-reefers-frag-swap-social-gathering-17829/) next weekend (Sept. 25, 2011). Other pickup arrangements can also be made afterwards. Or we will also ship the pack, would need your zip code to provide a price for that.

jimsflies
09-19-2011, 09:03 AM
That shipping is just totally wrong :( I've never heard of shipping being that expensive. $60? Sent by Limo same day?

Jamie- We aren't making a dime off shipping. If you can find me a deal to get it to you in the time frame you are comfortable with, we will send it. Beware though, we cannot replace the packs if something happens during extended shipping (anything longer than over night). If you want to chance it, it this time of year is your best bet since the weather is fairly mild. I'd love to see you get in on the contest.

ayveq
09-19-2011, 09:16 AM
http://www.captivereefs.com/misc_images/2011-growout-contest.jpg

To get in on this contest, members will need to purchase a contest frag pack for $50 (please send as a gift to avoid paypal fees) that consists of 4-5 polyp frags of the eight zoanthids in the photo above...more than 30 polyps total. Don't delay as the number of packs are limited.

If it wasn't enough that participants get an awesome deal on 8 colorful Z&P frags (more than 30 polyps total), participants will be competing for an opportunity to win an Inland ReefKeeper Saw (http://www.inlandhobby.com/frag) with a MSRP of $269.95! Donated Inland Hobby (http://www.inlandhobby.com/frag).

http://www.captivereefs.com/forum/images/dto_vendor/banner/1060_2.gif (http://www.inlandhobby.com/frag)

The contest rules are pretty simple:

1. Start a thread in the Grow Out Contest Forum (http://www.captivereefs.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=150). Be sure to select the "2011 Grow Out" subtopic when you create the thread.
2. Post updated photos of the frags progress at least once per month along with any dialog to document the number of polyps on each frag, system changes including water changes, bulb changes, dosing regime, fragging, etc.
3. Your system should be detailed in a Member's Reef (http://www.captivereefs.com/forum/members-reefs/) thread so we know what type of flow, lighting, etc. you have.
4. The contest will run from September 25, 2011 to March 31, 2012.
5. The winner will be chosen by drawing a frag at random. The frag will be posted at the end of the contest and participants will need to submit their final count for that frag via pm along with photos. In the event of a tie, a second frag will be drawn and winners will have to submit counts and photos for that frag. It will be in your best interest, even if you only have one frag surviving to stick with the contest as that may be the counted.

http://www.captivereefs.com/forum/images/icons/vbactivity/medals/grow-out-crown.pngBesides the awesome frag pack, the kick-butt grand prize, the winner receive a Grow Out King trophy which is added to his/her postbit as seen below:

*** hidden content ***
I'd like in if still available!

jimsflies
09-19-2011, 09:20 AM
Awesome glad to have your in! There is about 10 packs left..

Here is a list of who is in the contest so far.
CalmSeasQuest
Jstadler
Sir Patrick
AJ
Estanoche
Ayveq
sdavis43
bigbill
chazde3

chazde3
09-19-2011, 11:50 AM
Hey Jim did you guys already have me down?

Skyhigh
09-19-2011, 11:56 AM
Hey Jim did you guys already have me down?

I dont think you are on the list yet..

chazde3
09-19-2011, 12:03 PM
Can I pay at the swap or no, im bringing coral and waiting to be paid for some of them

bigbill
09-19-2011, 12:04 PM
@ jimsfilies ty sir

Dirkdaplr
09-19-2011, 12:06 PM
I am interested what is the paypal id to send to?

estanoche
09-19-2011, 12:14 PM
Jamie- We aren't making a dime off shipping. If you can find me a deal to get it to you in the time frame you are comfortable with, we will send it. Beware though, we cannot replace the packs if something happens during extended shipping (anything longer than over night). If you want to chance it, it this time of year is your best bet since the weather is fairly mild. I'd love to see you get in on the contest.

bah!! It's even $70 to WA State - but ohh well, that makes it $15 a colony, which is still less than $5 per polyp ..... you can't get a better deal than that, plus you have a chance to win an awesome prize!! :redneck: :redneck:

I'd bet though within state you can get away with USPS, and it would deliver the next day, or fedex, often they deliver next day within state even if you don't pay for it

jimsflies
09-19-2011, 12:29 PM
bah!! It's even $70 to WA State - but ohh well, that makes it $15 a colony, which is still less than $5 per polyp ..... you can't get a better deal than that, plus you have a chance to win an awesome prize!! :redneck: :redneck:

I'd bet though within state you can get away with USPS, and it would deliver the next day, or fedex, often they deliver next day within state even if you don't pay for it

Jamie is in the "Upper Peninsula" ...that's like another country. lol ;)

---------- Post added at 01:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:27 PM ----------

Can I pay at the swap or no, im bringing coral and waiting to be paid for some of them
Yeah, I think we can do that for a few people. We'll have a pack there for you Chuck.

---------- Post added at 01:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:28 PM ----------

I am interested what is the paypal id to send to?
Here's the info:

jolson10450
09-19-2011, 01:15 PM
Payment sent! prepare for Jolson to defend his title!

jduck
09-19-2011, 09:16 PM
Count me in.

Heidi
09-19-2011, 09:31 PM
Next time :) I am trying to work on my SPS collection as of lately sounds like it should be a great contest! GOod luck all!

Heidi

Dirkdaplr
09-20-2011, 07:37 AM
Payment sent count me in

nightcool
09-20-2011, 02:10 PM
Count me in too! Money sent!

jimsflies
09-20-2011, 02:41 PM
We are working on frags for this today to give them several days to heal and settle in before transport and delivery. If you want in on this awesome contest please let us know so we prepare enough frags!

Wy Renegade
09-20-2011, 08:02 PM
Still interested and see that I'm not on the list. Please count me in.

jimsflies
09-20-2011, 08:10 PM
We have you counted Randy.

As of right now, 16 out of 22 packs are accounted for. So if you are on the fence about the contest, don't delay. Purely from an odds standpoint, 1 out of 22 isn't bad odds for having a chance to win the ultimate fragging tool valued at $284.95. Not to mention, you have 8 awesome zoanthid frags to enjoy, frag, trade, or resell. You can't lose!

Paulo
09-20-2011, 08:14 PM
Jim, is it ok to pay and pick up at swap? Count me in if so.

jimsflies
09-20-2011, 08:45 PM
yes Paulo that is fine.

ScottCRRT
09-22-2011, 06:58 PM
K, Im in. Good luck everyone.

rosebud161616
09-23-2011, 09:25 AM
So I have some questions... who is doing the fragging and dispersing this year? UPS ground has guaranteed overnight shipping to certain areas and typically Columbus, OH is within that area from the lower Michigan area.

Unfortunately we won't be able to make it to the AA swap this year. Last year it was much later in the year, wasn't it? Or am I thinking of a different swap that we went to to pick up these frags for last year's contest?

jolson10450
09-23-2011, 09:47 AM
So I have some questions... who is doing the fragging and dispersing this year? UPS ground has guaranteed overnight shipping to certain areas and typically Columbus, OH is within that area from the lower Michigan area.

Unfortunately we won't be able to make it to the AA swap this year. Last year it was much later in the year, wasn't it? Or am I thinking of a different swap that we went to to pick up these frags for last year's contest?

It was november 5th last year i think so about 1.5 months later than this year.

TheLittleMermaid
09-25-2011, 12:35 AM
Hey Jim...Looks like me and my husband Pat (badfish) are going to make it to the swap and we would like to try the grow if you still have any packs left. I know its late, count us in if you can. We can pay/pick up at the swap. We will see you there! :)

jimsflies
09-25-2011, 06:19 AM
Hey Jim...Looks like me and my husband Pat (badfish) are going to make it to the swap and we would like to try the grow if you still have any packs left. I know its late, count us in if you can. We can pay/pick up at the swap. We will see you there! :)

We have just a couple more. I'll put you on the list. See you later today.

kev2me
09-26-2011, 09:22 AM
Late entry.

Edit: payment sent for rosebud161616 and I's entry.

msumatt
09-29-2011, 12:48 AM
I would like to give this a try if there are any packs left. I also just finished reading all of the posts and can't find what the zoanthids in the pack are.