PDA

View Full Version : 2011 Nano Reef Contest 2011 Nano Contest...Where are they now?

jimsflies
09-22-2011, 08:27 PM
I was just curious if any of the tanks were still up from our contest last spring and how they looked now? Feel free to post here or update your old contest thread. :)

rosebud161616
09-23-2011, 07:19 AM
Mine is still up and running. Although it is packed full of corals right now. We're working on another build that has gotten severely delayed to a light debacle, so for now our higher end stuff is jam packed any place where we could fit it in this tank. I'll have to scrape the sides and take a pic even though it's not much to look at right now...

CalmSeasQuest
09-23-2011, 08:58 AM
Mine is still running. I grew tired of the dense rock work (and never-ending questions from staff and visitors wondering where the fish were.) Earlier this week I removed about 1/2 of the aquascaping and the substrate and am adding a RBTA and pair of Picasso's.

I'll post a photo once the conversion is complete.

larryandlaura
09-23-2011, 09:01 AM
I know Troy has the winning cube still up and running. And looking amazing.

bluwc
09-23-2011, 09:02 AM
Thanks Larry, I actually didn't enter this contest...I won the DIY contest for the cube build. Now tht I think about it, I shoulda entered but too late =0P

rosebud161616
09-23-2011, 09:11 AM
Mine is still running. I grew tired of the dense rock work (and never-ending questions from staff and visitors wondering where the fish were.) Earlier this week I removed about 1/2 of the aquascaping and the substrate and am adding a RBTA and pair of Picasso's.

I'll post a photo once the conversion is complete.

This sounds really cool! I look forwarding to see these pics! Will you be adding any sort of top to keep the clowns from jumping? I have been keeping ours in their anemones with no top for a while now (*knocks on wood*) and they stick to their anemones, but I am always nervous that one day I will come home and find them on the floor...

larryandlaura
09-24-2011, 06:06 AM
Any one else going to post some photos?

CalmSeasQuest
09-24-2011, 08:43 AM
This sounds really cool! I look forwarding to see these pics! Will you be adding any sort of top to keep the clowns from jumping? I have been keeping ours in their anemones with no top for a while now (*knocks on wood*) and they stick to their anemones, but I am always nervous that one day I will come home and find them on the floor...

+1 Knock on wood,

In 15 years of keeping clowns, I've never had one jump but...this tank if far more shallow than any I've had before. I'm going to lower the remaining aquascaping in hopes that a large RBTA situated in the center of the tank will keep them "comfy".

I'm waiting a couple weeks for things to settle down before making any additions as I removed a significant amount of bio filtration (more than 1/2 the rockwork and all of the substrate.) My daughter is in charge of choosing the Picassos, so it might take a bit to find the perfect, smiling pair :)

larryandlaura
09-24-2011, 08:45 AM
Awesome cant wait to see the pics. I want a pair of Picasso's.

jimsflies
09-24-2011, 10:07 PM
+1 Knock on wood,

In 15 years of keeping clowns, I've never had one jump but...this tank if far more shallow than any I've had before. I'm going to lower the remaining aquascaping in hopes that a large RBTA situated in the center of the tank will keep them "comfy".

I'm waiting a couple weeks for things to settle down before making any additions as I removed a significant amount of bio filtration (more than 1/2 the rockwork and all of the substrate.) My daughter is in charge of choosing the Picassos, so it might take a bit to find the perfect, smiling pair :)

A little off topic....but I don't think my female Darwin Occy got the memo. I came home and found her on the floor on Wednesday night. I had taken the mesh top off my tank when I went rimless. :crying:

http://i1119.photobucket.com/albums/k621/jimsflies/dead-clown.jpg

MizTanks
09-24-2011, 10:45 PM
OH NO Jim! I'm so sorry :( that just breaks my heart ((hugs to you))

rosebud161616
11-06-2011, 02:27 PM
Mine is still up and running. Although it is packed full of corals right now. We're working on another build that has gotten severely delayed to a light debacle, so for now our higher end stuff is jam packed any place where we could fit it in this tank. I'll have to scrape the sides and take a pic even though it's not much to look at right now...

Finally got around to posting some updated shots in my actual contest thread (http://www.captivereefs.com/forum/2011-nano-contest/rosebud161616s-15-gallon-custom-built-nano-11687/page12.html#post132368).