PDA

View Full Version : Feeding SPS with Oyster feast

XSiVE
09-24-2011, 09:20 AM
so I picked some of this up the other day and i've fed the tank a couple of times.

I want to be sure Im getting the maximum effect of this stuff since it's super expensive and was curious if there was a best time to feed it? I was thinking night time might be better than day but Im wondering if anyone else had some experience and results.

MyNemesis
09-24-2011, 10:03 AM
I use four teaspoons of the Oyster Feast and then dilute it with four or six tablespoons of tank water. I squirt some around the tank before feeding time with the pumps off. Then I feed the fish some mysis and wait for a bit. By that time the feeding response is pretty jacked for all the corals in the tank, and I target feed the SPS with the diluted Oyster feast two or three more times before everything gets turned back on. Meanwhile I am feeding the fish and also target feeding the LPS with the mysis. I like to take my time and do this with only my blue lights on in the evening. It seems it must take them a little longer to eat, so I shoot for an hour and a half with plenty of the Oyster Feast in there for everyone to enjoy. Best all around coral food in my estimation! Well worth the money.

schminksbro
09-24-2011, 10:03 AM
so I picked some of this up the other day and i've fed the tank a couple of times.

I want to be sure Im getting the maximum effect of this stuff since it's super expensive and was curious if there was a best time to feed it? I was thinking night time might be better than day but Im wondering if anyone else had some experience and results.
Night time would be best although acros will feed during the day as well.

Manoj's Reef
09-24-2011, 10:05 AM
Is that the reef nutrition oyster feast?

XSiVE
09-24-2011, 10:09 AM
Is that the reef nutrition oyster feast?

Yes, reef nutrition brand.

MyNemesis
09-24-2011, 10:10 AM
That's the stuff I was referring to. I always seem to win the Reef Nutrition foods at swap raffles. They always donate. Dollar well spent!

Heidi
09-24-2011, 10:19 AM
I feed 2 teaspoons a day. I dump it in by a powerhead about 10 min after I fees my fish. I shut off my skimmer for an hour after and also does my mb7 at the same time. I have great polyp extension and beautiful color. I kinda love this stuff.
Heidi

larryandlaura
09-24-2011, 10:45 AM
We feed the corals a hour before the lights shut off and put the mp's on feed mode and kill the massive return pump. Great stuff but lately we have been using coral frenzy.

MizTanks
09-24-2011, 01:54 PM
Having corals that benefit from day feeding and night so what I do is feed an hour before lights out with all flow off but for 1 power head for about 30min. Then I'll turn the flow back on then at dusk lighting I'll wait about an hour then I'll use a turkey baster and blow whatever has settled on the LR. I try not to waste :)

dlhirst
12-04-2011, 08:56 PM
Just bought a jar of this stuff today. I guess I should have fed the fish first... They seem to like these eggs as much as the corals. Good thing I didn't use much tonight.

binford4000
12-05-2011, 04:28 AM
We've been useing oyster feast for over a year,love this stuff!! High in protien and lipids and have yet to find a coral that does not respond to it.Turning all flow off to allow positive extension is a good idea.I have found once they get hooked on this stuff it really doesn't matter how you dump it in, they just go nuts for it.We like it so much we purchase in the industrial size LOL. The use of an pop bottle to incase to target feed is the best method for sure. IMO :big_grin: