PDA

View Full Version : Fungia Bifurcating?

dlhirst
12-09-2011, 01:08 PM
The picture doesn't do it justice, but it looks like this plate coral is (possibly?) dividing in two. If you look closely, you can see a radial fissure opening just above 9 o'clock. Right now, it extends in about 1/3 of the diameter.
Anyone see this happening before?

MizTanks
12-09-2011, 02:26 PM
Does it justice to me :) sweet looking plate for sure!

larryandlaura
12-09-2011, 02:27 PM
Did a rock fall on it or has it gotten anyone get recent damage? Cool though if it was splitting.

dlhirst
12-09-2011, 02:41 PM
Its at my office tank. This is a VERY minimal tank that has little going on. Nothing would have dropped on it. In fact, had anything been dropped, I would know cuz everyone else is afraid to put their hands in the tank.

It IS possible that it is just tissue loss (I hope not!). I brought that plate to the office tank about a month ago. It had always thrived in my house (including in THAT tank now moved to office) until I got a second plate coral. After that, the new one doubled in size, and this one kinda stagnated. Ofttimes even looking hard - with the tentacles withdrawn. I moved him all around the tank. Even tried trading places with the green one. But, it never looked happy. So, I took him to the office, and overnight you could tell he was quite pleased. Maybe the secrete stuff that drives away competitors? Anyway, he was plump and orange and happy. And then, I saw the cleavage...