PDA

View Full Version : 2012 Nano Reef Contest 2012 Nano Contest Rules- sponsored by Orphek

jimsflies
01-09-2012, 09:58 AM
2012 Nano Contest

Contest Dates
Here is the schedule:
Contest Start: January 9, 2012
Last Day to Enter: February 26, 2012
Last Day to add Livestock: April 30, 2012
Last Day of Contest: June 4, 2012
Judging Complete: June 25, 2012

To enter in the contest, start a build thread in the Nano Contest forum (http://www.captivereefs.com/forum/nano-contest/). Be sure to select 2012 Nano Contest from the Subtopic menu.

Judging

Overall Best Nano - The prize will be awarded to the overall best nano and will be voted on by CR general membership. To qualify you must update your contest thread at minimum as specified below. Better documentation will likely impact your chances of winning.

This year's contest is being sponsored by Orphek. Orphek, is going to donate their new (yet to be released) DIF50 LED pendant. Note the photo below is of the current model... the exact details of this new pendant are not released yet. The winner is going to be the first person to have this amazing product!

http://www.captivereefs.com/forum/attachments/cr-announcements/2012-nano-contest-gauging-interest-orphek_50.jpg-3989

http://www.captivereefs.com/forum/images/dto_vendor/banner/1106_1.jpg (http://orphek.com/led)

System Requirements

Tank: Display tank with a water volume of 30 gallons or less may be used

Sump: Total water volume may not be more than 30 gallons (e.g., 30 gallon display may not have an additional sump, a 10 gallon tank could have a 20 gallon sump).

Equipment: You may use any equipment (pumps, powerheads, skimmers, reactors, etc.) that you want.

Additives: Any additive is also allowed.

Livestock Requirements

Spending Limit: The spending limit on corals is $400. Corals purchased from CR sponsors count half toward the spending limit. For example if you spend $100 from non-sponsors, you can spend another $600 from sponsors and will have spent the $400 limit. You must post a receipt with a picture of the stock to allow for others to see what you have spent. Receipts will be necessary to prove source of purchase for corals that are purchased from sponsors. If you are also participating in the grow out contest, you can put those in your nano and it will count $40 against your spending limit.

On hand Livestock: You may stock your nano with livestock you already own from another system. You need to clearly identify which pieces you are adding and document the size. You will also need to post a market price for the piece which will count against the $400 spending cap. Live stock obtained "free" from other sources also is subject to this requirement. A generic price guide is presented below to help determine value of livestock.

Temporarily Exceeding Spending Limit:You may temporarily exceed your limit if for some reason you need to move stock from another system to your nano or use it for a quarantine tank. This will not automatically disqualify you from the contest. However, by April 30 (one month before the end of the contest) you must show that you haven't spent more than the contest limit based on the purchase price or determined value when the coral was added to the tank. In other words if you spent $20 on a colony of zoas and it doubles in size by April 30, this colony will still count as $20 toward your limit.

Trades: You may trade any corals in your tank with other CR members. All trades will be public knowledge, this means that after the trade you must make a post stating who you traded with, what came out of your nano and what you got in return. Trades from your nano tank won't count toward the contest spending cap.

Fish and Inverts: You may add any other non-coral livestock you wish to your tank. These additions must be documented on your build thread. The last date any livestock may be added is April 30, 2012. In general, Fish and other livestock do not count toward the coral spending limit. However, anemones and clams (and other sessile invertebrates..e.g., sea apples, filter feeding cucumbers, etc.) count toward the spending limit as they are more coral-like than fish-like....crabs, shrimp, snails, and starfish would not count toward the coral budget.

Macro Algae: If your macro algae is in your sump or fuge, then it is part of the filtration system and not counted toward the livestock spending limit. If macro algae is in your display, it is considered part of the aesthetics of the display and is counted toward the spending limit.

Lost Livestock: Should any stock die, this should also be noted in the build thread. Excessive deaths would likely impact winning the Overall Best Nano Category. As the goal here is to build a healthy sustainable nano tank. Deaths cannot be deducted from the spending limit.

Additional Contest Rules

You may start your construction and cycle at any time. You may not stock the tank with corals until January 9, 2012. To insure this on January 9, 2012 at 12AM EST, an announcement will be made about an item that must be placed in the tank and photographed showing the tank is not yet stocked. This picture must be the first photo in each members contest thread. It will be a common item e.g., canned food, a key word written on paper and placed in the bottom of the tank, each member giving a thumbs up next to the tank, etc.

You may also start with cured rock if desired.

Tank stocking may begin on January 9, 2012.

You are welcome to start on the contest up to Febraury 27, 2012.

Each participant will need to start their own build thread in the contest forum (http://www.captivereefs.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=159). At a minimum each participant is REQUIRED to update their contest thread at least 2 times a month WITH pictures, updates can be whenever the member would like. The update must be made at least 7 days apart. Participants are encouraged to post updates more often if they would like.

No additional livestock can be added after April 30, 2012.

The following is a list of prices to help determine value of on hand corals or free corals obtained from other reefers.

Zoa/Palys-
No names- $1 PP
not really colorful at all
Common- $2 PP
EE, Whammin' watermelons, red skirts, dragon eyes, pink panthers etc.
Nice- $5 PP
Nukes, PD's, Tubbs blues, Bam Bam's,AOG's, RPE etc.
Rare- $20 PP or more depends on what one
Magicians, PPE, Hornets, Captain America
LPS-
Fungias- any color $45 to 60
Brains frags 1 1/2 inch- $25
Frogspawn/Hammer/Torch/duncans- $10 per head being nice on this one well sell the them for $20 per head and the duncans $15 per head
Trumpets any color- $10 per head
Blastos- $10 to 50 per head depends on color
Micromussa per polyp -$30
Favias frags 1 1/2 inch -$25
Gonipora 5" -$50 <- Poor Survival rate
Dendros- $25 per head
Sun Coral frag-$10 to $25 depends on size
Acans-
--Common -$5 per head
--Nice -$10 per head
--Rare -$20 per head some may cost more.
Chalice-
--Common -$10 per SQ inch
--Nice -$10 per eye
--Rare -$50 to $400 per eye
Leathers/softies-
Mushrooms - $10 per polyp some may cost more
Ricordea $20 per polyp and up depends on color
Yumas- $30 and up per polyp depends on color
GSP- 10$ per 1 inch square
Kenya trees- 10$ per Sm frag
Xenia-
--Pom Pom -$10 per stalk
--Blue xenia - $10 per stalk
--Anthelia frag 1 1/2 inchs - $10
Other leathers frags brown $10 green leathers $25 and up depends on size and where it comes from
green Clove polyps - $10 per polyp, Reg cloves $10 per inch
SPS-
Any Morph- branching, encrusting, caps etc.Some may cost more!!
1/2" -1" -$10
1"-2" -$20
2" - 3" - $40
3" - 5" $60
Other inverts-
Feather dusters- $10 to $30 depends what kind of duster
Gorgonians, sea fans, sea whips, sea rods-Sm frags $10,and up to a $100 depends on size
Sponges-$20 and up depends on size

Nems- - $30 and up depends on what kind and size
Macros-
Any Macro - $2 a sandwich bag
Mangroves- Sm $10 MD $20

jimsflies
01-09-2012, 10:05 AM
So you can begin stocking today! I need a photo showing your non-stocked tank in your Nano Contest (http://www.captivereefs.com/forum/nano-contest/) thread. Place a note similar to this in such a way that shows you aren't already stocked:

http://i1119.photobucket.com/albums/k621/jimsflies/faa72496.jpg

AJ :)
01-09-2012, 10:13 AM
Got it!

Will do. :)

chazde3
01-09-2012, 10:44 AM
Grabbing my tank from home at lunch to set up on the desk this afternoon.

thefishgirl
01-09-2012, 01:22 PM
Oh dear me!

Tank - undecided. Aquascape - undecided. And, I'm out of town!
(I did mock up a few ideas this weekend though...mainly in my brain.)

Good thing I work best under pressure.

jimsflies
01-09-2012, 03:29 PM
I have corrected some of the prize details in the first post as I was just informed that Orphek, is going to donate their new (yet to be released) DIF50 LED pendant. Note the photo in the post is of the current model... the exact details of this new pendant are not released yet.

The winner is going to be the first person to have this new amazing product!

rosebud161616
01-09-2012, 04:53 PM
Alright, so I can start planning for the livestock...

Since I'm currently planning to do a mostly anemone tank and will be using mainly on hand anemones, what price should be used for maxi minis?

Also, if I have one that I used last year in the nano contest and from a vendor, can I use the receipt from then, or should I consider it an "on hand" coral from the given list?

jimsflies
01-09-2012, 07:05 PM
You can use the receipt for the valuation, however it would not count as a half off for the tank budget even if it was from a sponsor. Only corals purchased from sponsors for this contest would count toward the half off. I know a few have purchased corals very recently to start stocking their tanks for this contest, so those will qualify for the half off. (Part of the goal of the contest is to make some purchases from our sponsors.)

We can add maxi minis to the coral list. What do you think is a fair value? $30 for an average and $60 for a premium color?

rosebud161616
01-10-2012, 08:20 AM
That all sounds fair to me! Now what is considered average and premium? :)

jimsflies
01-10-2012, 08:41 AM
If you would buy or sell it for closer to the premium price it is premium, if you bought it or only could sell it for closer to the average price it is average.

TheLittleMermaid
01-10-2012, 10:11 AM
Hey Jim, quick question. I know that the Lansing swap is coming up. How do we go about pictures of recepits for these coral frags if we use them in the nano contest?

jimsflies
01-10-2012, 11:37 AM
Hey Jim, quick question. I know that the Lansing swap is coming up. How do we go about pictures of recepits for these coral frags if we use them in the nano contest?

Corals at the swap should be counted using the market price list in the first post unless you get a receipt (I realize this is unlikely) or if they listed it as a presale in the What you Bringing Thread (http://www.captivereefs.com/forum/reefing-events/what-you-bringing-2012-lansing-michigan-coral-expo-swap-19385/), you can link to it to show the price. If we find that the price list is inaccurate, we can change the value of things on the price list. Market price can change from year to year.

Remember if you get corals from a CR sponsor at the swap it will count as half of the purchase price as long as you get a receipt.

jimsflies
01-10-2012, 11:45 AM
This question is also bound to come up, so here it is from last year:

Clarification about Inverts:

In general, Fish and other livestock do not count toward the coral spending limit. However, anemones and clams (and other sessile invertebrates..e.g., sea apples, filter feeding cucumbers, etc.) count toward the spending limit as they are more coral-like than fish-like....crabs, shrimp, snails, and starfish would not count toward the coral budget.

rosebud161616
01-10-2012, 12:54 PM
So last year it was ok to write down what you were getting , from who, the price, and then have that individual sign, making a makeshift receipt at swaps. Is this ok this year? I won't be at the upcoming swap, but thought this might help others.

jimsflies
01-10-2012, 01:07 PM
Yes. That seemed to work well last year.

This same policy is ok for any swap meet not just Lansing...including purchasing from CR sponsors if they are at other swaps.

ROGERWILCO357
01-16-2012, 04:16 AM
cool I have a nano tank I was just going to outfit that has been sitting with nothing but water ..now the light on it is no good what can I use on a 12 gallon nano tank to replace it but still keep the original canopy I have cats too

jimsflies
02-07-2012, 10:03 PM
I just wanted to update the prize info now that Orphek is releasing more info on this brand new fixture...the DIF50XP. :)

The DIF50XP is a new Orphek pendant which joins a growing trend of incorporating more colors of LED in reef aquarium lights. The DIF50XP is endowed with several LED colors under the same common lens including a 410nm near-UV, 430nm violet,white, 20,000 Kelvin, and two shades of red at 640 and 660nm are all nested in the multicolored-multichip LED found in the Orphek DIF50XP.

The red and violet light included in the DIF50XP LED pendant may not appear as bright to our eyes as the whites and the blues, but they are likely to set some photosynthesis into overdrive by lining up well with known peaks of photosynthetic activity. Pricing and availability is still undetermined for Orphek's new LED pendant.

http://i1119.photobucket.com/albums/k621/jimsflies/orphek-difxp-pendant.jpg

There is still time to get started with your nano build and have a chance to win this awesome fixture from Orphek. Its free to enter. :)

phishcrazee
02-19-2012, 12:52 PM
I have a large green LTA I'm adding to the tank, what would you say for a price on that? There is a pic in my build thread, I'm just trying to gauge how much more I can add to my tank. I have it down as $100 right now.........

jimsflies
02-19-2012, 02:18 PM
That sounds reasonable to me. Any other opinions?

TheLittleMermaid
02-19-2012, 09:30 PM
I need a price for gobstoppers per poylp. I have two that I fragged from another tank of mine. Thanks :)

jimsflies
02-19-2012, 10:00 PM
I need a price for gobstoppers per poylp. I have two that I fragged from another tank of mine. Thanks :)

$5 pp.

jimsflies
02-29-2012, 10:59 PM
Just a note that the contest is now fully underway...the contestant field is set. We already have some great looking reefs coming to life. This should be a great one. Don't forget to post your thread updates and photos regularly.

Good Luck!

phishcrazee
03-13-2012, 09:13 AM
So what day is the last day to add livestock? April 1st? Just want to make sure :)

jimsflies
03-13-2012, 10:09 AM
So what day is the last day to add livestock? April 1st? Just want to make sure :)

phishcrazee
03-13-2012, 10:27 AM

That's how I initially read it, but then re-reading it, I was unsure if adding no livestock within 30 days of April 30th meant either before or after that date, that's why I asked. Happy I have more time than I thought :big_grin:

jimsflies
03-13-2012, 10:32 AM
I admit that line was confusing. I just edited that line in the first (rules) post to hopefully clarify. My original thought was to not allow adding fish and inverts within 30 days of the end of the contest. But since that is pretty close to the last day to add corals, lets just simplify it to no additional livestock after April 30.

jimsflies
05-04-2012, 10:25 PM
The last day to add livestock sort of slipped by us here on April 30, 2012. We are one month out from the end of the contest, so photos should be updated and your coral budget should also be documented soon.

jimsflies
05-29-2012, 07:08 AM
Last week of the contest... Be sure to get your updates done this coming weekend. Although the contest is based on the over all effort and results, let me know in your update post which photo you want to use to represent your nano build.

jimsflies
06-03-2012, 05:24 AM
Last day tomorrow. Don't forget to get your updates done. :)

jimsflies
06-04-2012, 12:59 PM
Last day for updates!

phishcrazee
06-04-2012, 01:13 PM
Working on some pictures; its been crazy busy here :) Thanks for the reminder......

phishcrazee
06-04-2012, 07:48 PM
Please use the very last picture I have posted for judging (almost FTS), Thanks!

phishcrazee
06-11-2012, 08:30 AM
Sooooo, what happens now?

jimsflies
06-11-2012, 09:05 AM
We have been reviewing the threads to make sure that the remaining participants met the minimum requirements in the contest. In the next couple days, we will start a poll for the members to vote on which nano build they like the best.

As of right now, it appears the final participants were CalmSeasQuest, phishcrazee, TheLittleMermaid, Tom@HaslettMI.