PDA

View Full Version : Ricordea Mushroom

Badfish
01-11-2012, 10:34 AM
Ricordeas come in shades of blue, green, purple, red and pink. Keeping Rics is not too difficult since they require very little other than the proper lighting and water parameters. In fact, their colors intensify under fluorescent actinic lighting. They also prefer low water movement and adequate space between each specimen and other corals, as they are semi-aggressive. They reproduce by longitudinal fission.

All mushroom corals included are photosynthetic and a majority of their nutritional requirements are obtained from the symbiotic algae zooxanthellae hosted within each coral. They can also benefit from additional food in the form of micro-plankton or brine shrimp fed to each polyp of the colony.

Fragging them is fairly easy. Use a razor blade to slice them in half and then affix them to some small pieces of rock rubble or frag plugs with netting and rubber bands

bluwc
01-11-2012, 10:58 AM
very nice, I had a green and an orange one in my 60. After 6mths,, they never multiplied or grew, so I sold then in August at the swap. They are cool, just didn't do well in my tank

rmalone
01-11-2012, 12:55 PM
I would add that high light tends to make individual ployps smaller and more colorful, than low light which tends to produce a larger more open polyp with larger tentacles but more space between each tentacle. Also high flow also seem to keep polyps more compact with smaller tentacles. This is somewhat high light under 250w mh and high flow. http://i829.photobucket.com/albums/zz212/rmalone68/1602945231_photobucket_86044_.jpg

larryandlaura
01-11-2012, 07:18 PM
Love the color combo!