PDA

View Full Version : cooling fan wiring... series or parallel?

Tom@HaslettMI
02-15-2012, 11:36 PM
I'm looking to run 2 12volt DC fans on one power supply. Which is better to wire them in parallel or series? If you're feeling generous I'd be curious to know details on both wiring strategies.

Thanks,
Tom

nate_newton
02-16-2012, 12:17 AM
I can't remember for sure but it seems like in parallel you get 12v to each fan, series you get the voltage drop.

reefpoor
02-17-2012, 09:42 AM
He's right, has to be parallel. You cant run in series through a load(fan,) only a switch can be wired in series, unless your intention is to reduce voltage. Electronics is a little different, a series circuit of say leds can act as one load

Lynxer
02-17-2012, 09:52 AM
He's right, has to be parallel. You cant run in series through a load(fan,) only a switch can be wired in series, unless your intention is to reduce voltage. Electronics is a little different, a series circuit of say leds can act as one load

This is correct, if you wire them in series you will be splitting your 12v. So 6v to each fan... wich some do on purpose to reduce noise.

low voltage = lower noise.

AZDesertRat
02-21-2012, 08:20 AM
I use a variable voltage DC power supply, 6-12v DC adjustable in 1.5v steps to control fan speeds and wire them parallel. Makes it nice being able to slow the fans in winter months when cooling is not needed as much and custa way down on evaporation. In summer months I can change speeds according to cooling needs and the humidity in the house or even if I want to quiet things down.

Tom@HaslettMI
02-21-2012, 11:36 AM
Thanks for the info everyone!

That's a great suggestion AZ. I already wired them in series but may, in the future, switch them over to have the option to adjust.

Tom