PDA

View Full Version : Please help identify

Fally
12-31-2005, 09:22 AM
My 29 Gallon is in the middle of it's cycle and my wife has noticed an interesting creature on the Live Rock I purchased. It looks like a little green circle, like a piece of green thread in a circle. It seems to have little clear tenticles with tiny white things at the ends. It hides inside a small hole in the rock and comes out quite often. When it is in the hole you really can't see it at all. I will include a few pictures, he is like halfway out at this point.

I'm kind hoping it is a good guy, cause I don't think my wife would let me harm it!
I have searched around the net for this thing and have come up with nothing. I would greatly appreciate any help that could be offered!

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y109/Falmord/LRCreature.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y109/Falmord/LRCreature2.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y109/Falmord/LRCreature3.jpg

ReefNeck
12-31-2005, 09:28 AM
Really hard to tell from the pics but it COULD be a duster worm. (Harmless). I have a couple on some LR.
Does it retract real fast if you get anywhere near it?

Fally
12-31-2005, 09:41 AM
I juat waved my scraper all around it and nothing, I touched it a couple times and it retracted... It doesn't look much like my other Featherdusters. I have a piece of dead coral with a bunch of little dusters on it.

ReefNeck
12-31-2005, 09:54 AM
See if you can possibly get a closer pic of it. I know it's difficult to do so.
It could be aptasia but can't tell in those pics. If it is, It needs to get gonebefore it takes over your tank but as I said, Can't be sure from those pics.

ReefNeck
12-31-2005, 09:56 AM
Also, Is that Crushed Coral I see for the substrate?
Nitrate trap. I would get rid of it and go with Live sand if you can before you get too far into the tank.

graphixx
12-31-2005, 10:27 AM
yep looks like a little feather duster, you will get more and more of them as the cycle continues!! also......... WELCOME ABOARD!!!!!

Fally
12-31-2005, 10:33 AM
I am not sure what the substrate is to be honest. It is what my LFS
uses and sells for Marine tanks. After the milky mess this made when I
put it in, I doubt I will change it out anytime soon. :) Why would
it trap nitrates more then other kinds? Does it trap junk in the nooks
and crannies?
Thanks!

graphixx
12-31-2005, 10:40 AM
You nailed it right on the head. detrius and stuff get trapped into the crushed coral and it just sits there and rots. causing a spike in the nitrates. Reef sand is much finer and gives a better anaerobic zone (no oxygen) for dentrifying bacteria. But being tht the tank is new you should be allright for now but I would recommend entertaining the thought of changing it in the future. Just make sure not to over feed and have a good cleaner crew.

ReefNeck
12-31-2005, 10:43 AM
You nailed it right on the head. detrius and stuff get trapped into the crushed coral and it just sits there and rots. causing a spike in the nitrates. Reef sand is much finer and gives a better anaerobic zone (no oxygen) for dentrifying bacteria. But being tht the tank is new you should be allright for now but I would recommend entertaining the thought of changing it in the future. Just make sure not to over feed and have a good cleaner crew.

I agree 100% greg!

Fally
12-31-2005, 11:06 AM
Thanks for all the great advice! I think I will work on a good cleanup crew. I planned on having more inverts then fish anyway.
What would you guys suggest is a good cleanup crew for a 29 gallon tank? I have 2 blue legged hermits and a regular crab now. The regular crab hitchhiked on my live rock! All I have seen of it is it's claws comming out from under a rock... I have heard that serpent stars are good cleaners?
I think I'll let the aiptasia grow some to see for sure what it is. I'll update the top post with some new pictures when I can get them, hopfully today.

graphixx
12-31-2005, 11:20 AM
a couple of concerns, #1 if you had a crab hithike in your LR then I would almost bet its a gorilla crab. they are not good to have in a tank. they are pretty nasty little buggars. they will eat serpent stars and inverts. I would get him out of the tank maybe see if your LFS will give you a little credit for him. and on the aptasia, if you let that grow make sure you keep a handle on it. that stuff will over take a tank in no time and its a pain to get rid of!!!! and packs a mean sting to other live stock in the tank

ReefNeck
12-31-2005, 11:21 AM
What would you guys suggest is a good cleanup crew for a 29 gallon tank? I have 2 blue legged hermits and a regular crab now. The regular crab hitchhiked on my live rock! All I have seen of it is it's claws comming out from under a rock... I have heard that serpent stars are good cleaners?

http://www.reefermadness.us/RM-HelpersSmall.htm a nice Cleaning Crew
Serpent Stars will sift sand but can not sift crushed coral.

graphixx
12-31-2005, 12:10 PM
if your going with the crushed coral I would make sure to get some blue legged hermits, they are good at picking through the crushed. and the link Keri gave you is a good package I would stay away from bumblebee snails. but the astrea, trochus, nar, turbos are great algae grazers and queen conch's are just awesome in the tank!!!!

ReefNeck
12-31-2005, 12:14 PM
I would stay away from bumblebee snails. but the astrea, trochus, nar, turbos are great algae grazers and queen conch's are just awesome in the tank!!!!

Ok, Time to ask the question.....What's wrong with the Bumble Bees? I have 2 in my tank and they are awesome.

graphixx
12-31-2005, 12:22 PM
bumble bee snails have been known to attack clams and the like, they have a taste for meaty foods!! I have had one in my tank and caught him snacking on my maxima so he went down the toilet!!!!

ReefNeck
12-31-2005, 12:28 PM
bumble bee snails have been known to attack clams and the like, they have a taste for meaty foods!! I have had one in my tank and caught him snacking on my maxima so he went down the toilet!!!!

That's scary! Fortunately I have no Clams. I Hope they won't kill the other snails for food (Nassarius). If thats what has been eating some of my others they are going bye bye now.

graphixx
12-31-2005, 12:29 PM
yeah they can be pretty nasty little suckers!!!

Fally
12-31-2005, 04:47 PM
I added another picture to the main post. It might be a little better...

I also found another creature that was under one of the rocks when I picked it up looking for that crab.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y109/Falmord/P1010007.jpg

graphixx
12-31-2005, 04:49 PM
I have no idea wht I am looking for in that pic??? sorry

Fally
12-31-2005, 05:02 PM
Here is another pic. It is fairly small, about 1/4 to 1/2 inch. It was first curled up like a little tube, in the picture above it was unfolded. Here are a couple showing it curled up.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y109/Falmord/P1010011.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y109/Falmord/P1010016.jpg
Here it just opened up.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y109/Falmord/P1010003.jpg

graphixx
12-31-2005, 05:18 PM
aaaahhhh those look like mushrooms or a ricordea, that is cool, keep an eye on them and they should grow on you that is a good find

Fally
12-31-2005, 05:42 PM
It must have been under that rock for the last week or so.
I looked around for pictures of ricordea and was pretty amazed. I wonder what this one will look like when it gets larger. Anything special you think I should do for it? Will it attach itself to something?

graphixx
12-31-2005, 05:44 PM
I am not sure but keep us posted, it may be a shroom too, hard to see what it is its pretty shrunken up but just keep it in the light and should be fine

DragnflyGrl
01-01-2006, 12:27 PM
I have no idea what's in your first set of pics, it could be aiptasia, it COULD also be a FLOWER/ROCK ANEMONE, we have one that hitchhiked in on some LR rubble, and EVERY ONE told us "It's AIPTASIA, KILL IT NOW" Let it grow some, just keep a VERY close eye on it, it may turn out to be something worth having. :-)

Your second set of pics however, DEFINITELY looks like SOME kind of unattached mushroom. Try placing it in a low flow area against some rock, where there is plenty of light, it will get healthier and eventually attach itself. Might wanna try to see if it will eat as well. Good Luck, and Happy New Year! :)
Brianna

Reef_Angel
01-01-2006, 09:59 PM
Here's a good picture of the nasty "Gorilla Crab". I know because I have one. How did I figure it out? The munch on things like my brittle star...darn it all. Soon as I can catch him, he's gonna meet the tidy bowl man!! Asta-la-vista Babeeee!!! ......Angel :angel7:

http://www.captivereefing.com/richedit/upload/2k1f7de11b33.gif

Reef_Angel
01-02-2006, 12:12 AM
I blew up your pictures and it looks like you have a little "green" mushroom. That's my best guess anyway. Here are the photo's enhanced in Photoshop7. That's a sweet little hitchhiker. It may shock you one day once it's acclimated. It may be much bigger fully opened! Congratulations Welcome Aboard to Captive Reefing! ......Angel :angel7:

http://www.captivereefing.com/richedit/upload/2k9a352622d0.jpg

http://www.captivereefing.com/richedit/upload/2ka59e9e034e.jpg

Reef_Angel
01-02-2006, 12:39 AM
Oh cool!! You found another shroom... I think! This one has some pretty colors when looking at it in PS.
Basically, you have about a $20 gift from your LFS! GREAT! .....Angel :angel7:

http://www.captivereefing.com/richedit/upload/2k3a4b6dcffb.jpg

Sweetpea
01-02-2006, 11:02 AM
When I was at my LFS the other day I saw a tiny little thing just like that rolling around in the current in the bottom of a frag tank. I asked the guy what it was, and he told me a baby shroom!

That's cool you got one the way you did! Let us know when he pics a spot for his new home (pics required, of course, lol)!
~Tracy~

Fally
01-03-2006, 12:22 PM
Thanks for all the investigative work on those pix! Learing about this stuff is just as much fun as buying and watching it! I figured I'd be watching a couple rocks for a month. :) I don't think what I have is a gorilla crab. I didn't notice the bristley looking hair on it, the claws also looked more rounded. It is really small and likes to hide inside the tunnels in the rock. So I haven't seen it much.

Here is a new picture where the shroom has tucked itself up next to a rock where the current and some light are blocked by the rock.http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y109/Falmord/Thing10.jpg

graphixx
01-03-2006, 03:01 PM
that looks like a good little spot for him. he should attach and start to grow now

davejnz
01-03-2006, 06:58 PM
The first critter your described,i can't make it out in the picTthere are a couple species of corallimorphs(Pseudocorynactis sp.) that are nocturnal and have transcluscent tentacles with white tips.These tentacles only come out at night so you'll have to do some night time viewing to confirm.

Fally
01-05-2006, 02:39 PM
I have now found three of these things. Two have the green ring around them and one doesn't. All three have the same clear tentacles with white dot tips. One of the green ring guys is pretty big and is on the back of the rock and I can only see it by looking into the mirror back of the tank. I will try to get some more pictures.

I looked up some pictures of corallimorphs & Pseudocorynactis using google and you may be right.

AquaSquid
01-05-2006, 05:14 PM
Would it be ok to fill in the nooks and crannies of the crushed coral with live sand. Instead of replacing everything? :-|

Fally
01-06-2006, 11:07 AM
I had the exact same thought about my crushed coral. I don't see why it wouldn't work. Hopefully someone with some experience can help us out. :)

I went to my LFS yesterday and he had a rock with the exact same green circle guys with the clear tentacles with white dot tips. He had no idea what they were. But his were bigger then mine, so I'll try to get a picture for you all.

JustDavidP
01-06-2006, 12:29 PM
Yep yep yep... I had a bumblebee attack my croceas and maxima. I tossed him into a Good Ol' New England Snowbank!

Not ALL are bad, especially if your tank is well fed. But there have been far too many that want to eat clam mantles and the like so I say...Good Riddance!

Dave

Fally
01-09-2006, 05:27 PM
The little crab I had passed away today. I have a picture now if anyone wants to identify this hitchhiker.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y109/Falmord/DeadCrab.jpg

I also have an updated picture of the little mushroom.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y109/Falmord/Shroomdoinwell.jpg

graphixx
01-09-2006, 06:06 PM
yeah that looks like a type of gorilla crab, there are several species of them some are dark and hairy while others not as hairy, but he does not look like something I would want in my tank.

Sweetpea
01-09-2006, 08:00 PM
The baby 'shroom looks great!

JustDavidP
01-10-2006, 08:19 AM
Doooh! I'd venture to guess a 'gorilla' too. In any case, those claws were NOT made for the sole purpose of a 'manly handshake'. They are certainly a tool of destruction ;)

Dave

Fally
01-10-2006, 12:52 PM
So would you guys not recommend any crabs at all? Besides hermits? I hadn't thought much about it.

My cycle is finished now. Has been stable for at least the last 5 days. Ammonia & Nitrite are at zero and the Nitrate is at 20ppm.

Currently I have 6lbs of live rock, 8 mollies, 2 blue and 1 red legged hermit.

I am planning on getting rid of the mollies now that the cycle is finished, but I wanted to replace their bioload when I did. I am sort of unsure what I want to do with the tank now. I had some ideas at first but now I have read so much that I think I am confused. :)

I had thought about going out tonight and picking up some more cured live rock from the LFS. I also wanted to get a six lined wrasse and a cleaner shrimp, maybe a turbo snail or two to start with. Is it too early to add the turbo snails and cleaner shrimp?

What other small fish would you suggest for the marine beginner? I plan on this being a reef tank eventually, once I build up the LR of course. I need some colorful fish that are non-aggressive and will be reef-safe. It is also nice to have fish with some personality. A nice long list of possibilities would help me out when I went to the LFS tonight. ;)

Thanks!

Fally
01-10-2006, 03:58 PM
I just came home to find another crab in the same hole in the rock. It is a little bigger then the one above. Is there some sort of 'nest' in that live rock or what? It isn't that large...

graphixx
01-10-2006, 06:59 PM
gorilla crabs are sneaky sneaky little buggars. you can take that piece of live rock out and get a turkey baster and flush him out with fresh water or you can use a bottle trap if you do not want to take the rock out. just cut the top off a pop bottle and invert it so the small opening is leading into the bottle. put a piece of shrimp in there and I am sure your little crab will go hunting. works great.

good fish for small tanks: wrasse's are good fish. a spotted hawkfish. firefish are good also. scooter blenny, lawnmower blenny.

and its not too early for snails. i would get the crab out of there before you put snails or inverts in there , he may make a meal out of them

Good luck

Greg

JustDavidP
01-11-2006, 06:52 AM
They also grow fast and molt often. Did you really find a dead crab...or just its molt? The shedded shell of the crab...

D

And.. I do think hermits, emeralds, sally lightfoots and other proven reef safe crabs are okay.

Dave

Fally
01-11-2006, 10:23 AM
I never thought of that... It could have just been a shell. It looked like the whole crab though, and it wasn't transparent at all. Look at the picture above, does that look like a shell? I'm not sure myself, I have only seen shells from shrimp that were clear...

I am thinking about picking up the six line today. I may also look for a lawnmower Blenny, they look sort of neat, and I like some personality in my fish. Even though I don't have much algae, you think the 'lawnmower' will survive? I have read that these guys have to be acclimated to artificial feedings. Does anyone have any lawnmower stories? Are they easy to acclimate to artificial feedings? What would you guys suggest I try for food?

Thanks!

dakar
01-11-2006, 06:29 PM
Our LMB did fantastic for well over a year (the only reason he's no longer with us is he went carpet surfing for some odd reason).... But he was happy eating flake/pellet food as well as algae. Yet others have had a hard time with them taking food. Maybe just the luck of the draw.

But you are dead on with the personalities they develop. While we would be fish watching he would always come out to people watch.