PDA

View Full Version : Reef Aquarium Fish Clownfish compatibility question.....

ReefNeck
01-05-2006, 09:39 AM
I have a Gold Stripped Maroon that is almost 2". I figure it's female since I have kept it alone since I set up the 29G and I got it just over 1" in size.

I want to get a mate for her. I plan to get one 1-1 1/2" (Smaller then her) to try and hope for a mate. I have been offered a Maroon that size but it's not a Gold Stripped Maroon.

Can a Regular Maroon and a Gold Stripped Maroon live together in peace (Possibly) and maybe even become a family?

If this will work I will send out invitations to all the CR staff and members to attend the wedding. The reception will be B.Y.O.B. :D

Thanks

Keri

carpenterwrasse
01-06-2006, 03:51 AM
kerri,
From what i was told Don't know how true....Once 1 maroon is inthe tank its difficult to add another after. They need to be added together at the same time or purchased together as a pair..

Reef_Angel
01-06-2006, 05:38 AM
I did a quick search on "clown compatibility to see what the issues are with clowns in general. When they are the only one in the tank, they don't really bother the others unless they try to enter their territory. Clowns tend to be an aggressive fish, and since he's been in your tank 1st, he's most likely going to be the aggressor between the two. The bigger the tank, the better chance of them living cohesively as it offers more room to get away from the other fish if they fight and one needs to flee! Attempts to pair them has a higher failure rate than success. From what I read, most experts are saying that it's not a good idea to mix them, because more times than not, it just doesn't work out. The search I did was on "Clown compatibility", and I found a particular page that really pertains to your questions. Since there are many examples of pairing being attempted, you might want to peek at that page and see all the pros & con's to make your decision!take a look at:: http://www.wetwebmedia.com/clncompfaqs.htm
My concern for you would be giving it a try, and then having it not work out well.
Gold Stripped Maroons tend to be the winner of who stays and who goes.

If you decide you want to try it though, make sure the clown you choose is at least the same size or a bit bigger than your Gold Stripped Maroon. Be sure there are several great hiding places for the less aggressive one to run to if necessary. If you have another tank one can be put in if it doesn't work, that may be a solution for you. If your Gold Striped Maroon has it's own anemone that it hosts, don't expect that it will be shared with a newbie. You'll have to get him his own "lovey" to snuggle in. I know from experience that the 2 maroon clowns "a mated pair at that" we had, gave each other a run for their money. I finally had to find them a new home as I couldn't handle being bit by them anymore. They were always protecting their territory, and if you get close...watch out, and we all know that we do have to stick out hands in there when needed. I would come out with bloody little holes in my skin, and their bites left little scars on my hands. We gave them to another member that had a tank just for the two of them, and that turned out to be the best for them and us as well!

Listen to what others suggest as well because they may differ from my experience & reading. I'm by no means an authority on this! :reading: Stranger things have happened. They could get a long just fine, have a little marriage ceremony at the live rock alter, and make babies like crazy that are rare or something...hopefully making you rich!! This ones up to you! Sorry I couldn't be more upbeat about them. It could be this #*!@$%*# :smt075 #*!@$%*# or this: :smt049 :smt054 :lovestory: :smt049 :smt050 Good luck to you on whatever you decide. .....Angel :angel1:

ReefNeck
01-06-2006, 07:26 AM
Hi everyone, This is Coral. I am Keri's GSM.

The wedding is off! I called it off because of my religious beliefs. In my religion, Mixing of species is strictly forbidden. I was unaware of this until I spoke with my Rabbifish.

Marlin is heartbroken but has decided to keep his condo across town. We will not be meeting as planned.

I'm sorry to announce this and disappoint those of you that were looking forward to the ceremony and reception. Those that are bothered by this can stop by sometime for a visit and we can share a Mysis shrimp or something while we discuss it.

Thanks and keep your fins up.

Coral

Sweetpea
01-06-2006, 07:28 AM
From everything I've heard, adding another clown is not a good idea. I have a Gold Stripe Maroon myself, and I have given up on the idea of finding him a mate. I love my little Marlin, but I can tell by his behavior that he would kill ANY fish I put in the tank with him. He's never bitten me, though (ouch Angel!). Although I love him very much, I sometimes wish I had a less agressive fish. I doubt I'll ever have another Maroon after Marlin passes on to fishie heaven. ;)

carpenterwrasse
01-06-2006, 08:27 AM
sorry to hear that coral as the old saying goes tell marlin that there are other fish in the sea

davejnz
01-08-2006, 12:37 AM
To understand clownfish pairing,you must first understand that clownfish are born without gender.In the wild(and in captivivty),the dominant fish will turn female the sub-dominant will turn male while the rest will remain sexless.If the female were to die,the male would turn female and the next sub-dominant would turn male.It is always in this order,once a clown has become female there's no turning back.If you place a single clownfish in a tank,it will turn female when it is mature enough to do so(i think its about 1yr old).When pairing clownfish,this information is useful because you know that your lone resident clown is most lilely a female.Therefore,you should select a clown from the LFS that is as small as possible.If there are several of the same clowns in one tank,observe there behavior.It will be easy to figure out who's the dominant fish.This method worked peferect when i pared my Tomato Clowns up.There was some aggression,the new fish started posturing/shaking to the female as a sign of submission.This went on for an hr or so and they eventually paired.Of all the clowns,Maroons are the most difficult to pair.Don't bother re-arrangeing the aquascape because you don't want to disturb the resident females territory.After introduction,expect aggression towards the newcomer.If after the first few minutes,the new fish isn't posturing to the female or the female simply wont accept it,than you will have to intervene and isolate the new clown in one of those little clear containers(baby fry hatchery) that hang inside the tank.The next day you can introduce the newcomer again and see if the female will accept it.(the newcomer will turn perpindicular to the female and the female will nip near its lower fins).If after 3 introductions,and the female wont accept the newcomer,she never will.You'll have to try again with another clown.