PDA

View Full Version : Flow & Plumbing Flow Reduction 55G Reef

ReefNeck
01-09-2006, 05:24 PM
Last week I installed 2 SEIO 820GPH PH's in my 55G Reef. Coupled with my RIO 2100 Return pump I was pushing well over 2000GPH. Everything seemed to be going fine till yesterday. Added some new White Pom Pom Xenia and Frogspawn. Since then I have been chasing them all over the tank and tying them to LR Rubble again and again.

Talked with a new friend (Fellow Reefer) that has way more experience than I do and he thinks the 2000+ GPH is too much in a Soft Coral tank. I have powered one down & repositioned the other. Added an Aquaclear 402 with Hydor Flow. This and the added flow from the new Skimmer is much more acceptable to the softies so far.

The 2 SEIOS were ripping the heads right off the stalks of the Pom Pom Xenia.

This is kind of a heads up for others that keep only Soft Corals. I don't want this to happen to others. Nothing has perished yet as I watch my reef like a hawk.

I will post replies to this to keep everyone updated on how things are going as I get a flow stratagy implemented.

davejnz
01-10-2006, 03:12 AM
For a 55gal reef display,20x turnover(2000gph) is a minimum that i would use for any reef tank.Xenia does fine and actually grows faster with moderate current.As for frogspawns,they are definately a low/mod current coral.When it comes to directing/providing current in a reef tank,there's some things you should consider.You want high volume of water flow at low velocity,most powerheads have a high velocity output.In order to get around this,you need to arrange your powerheads/water ouptuts so that their high velocity currents are broken up.
Aiming them at the rock/glass is a good way to do this.As for coral placement,there is always a low flow spot in most tanks.I have a 40x turnove in my 40breeder yet there are still spots to keep low current corals like fropgspawns/hammers at.
BTW,most soft corals are not low current corals with the exception of shrooms.

ReefNeck
01-10-2006, 06:32 AM
David,
Not arguing with you at all but I had mine pointed at the glass at an angle so the current bounced off to the point that if any more direct the water would splash over the top of the glass. This created a vortex near the center of the tank. Even the lowest flow areas were not very low.

I played with the aiming of them for hours before powering one down. No matter where I aimed them it bothered something. At the rock pile bothered the fish & shrimp that live there. At the glass was how I tired many combinations of and was the only one that wasn't blowing my anemone off his rock in the center of the tank.

Still working with it today to find a good & happy medium.

jerryc
01-10-2006, 10:28 AM
I have a 55 with a 1100 a and a 300 power head along with about 800 return from the sump that gives me 40 times turnover and i stile can find a place or to for low flow coral.
it can be hard to just put frags in with out mounting them so you may have to get out the super glue

ReefNeck
01-10-2006, 10:51 AM
Well, I have spent all morning trying to find a flow using both 820's that works for my tank and nothing!

The frags were attached with Rubberbands at first, Then again with Super Glue. The tops were ripped off the stalks by the flow and that was in the lowest flow area of my tank.

Only solution I can see is to add more rock. Defeats my intention of having one side piled rocks and the other side beach/rubble.

As it stands I have one 820 blowing dead onto a large Live Rock on the right side where the rock pile is. I have an AquaClear 402 with a Hydor Flow over on the Beach/Rubble side (Where most frags are) and this seems to be working so far. Still watching things.

One problem is that my Anemone is the centerpiece of the tank. He is almost dead center and with both 820's running no matter where I point them he get thrashed all around and the poor clown has to swim as hard as she can to stay in the anemone. Poor fish will be exhausted in no time.

davejnz
01-10-2006, 04:34 PM
Keri,sorry if i came off argumentiitive,it was late last night when i typed that.You have a pretty low aquascape right now,as it grows you'll be able to put those SEIOS behind the aquascape where there flow is easy to break up.Slowing them down might be a good option for you then if you tried everything else.One that Xenia attaches itself,you'll be fine though with a good flow of water blowing on them.

ReefNeck
01-10-2006, 04:40 PM
Keri,sorry if i came off argumentiitive,it was late last night when i typed that.You have a pretty low aquascape right now,as it grows you'll be able to put those SEIOS behind the aquascape where there flow is easy to break up.Slowing them down might be a good option for you then if you tried everything else.One that Xenia attaches itself,you'll be fine though with a good flow of water blowing on them.

You didn't at all bud! I was just making the point that "I" wasn't arguing with your points. :)

Still plan to play with them more. Letting things settle abit first before I traumatize them again. Adding the 325GPH Skimmer didn't help much I guess.

Will let everyone know when/if I can get them both going without a typhoon in my bedroom. ;)

ReefNeck
01-11-2006, 07:02 PM
Ok, I'm going to try something here. I am going to try and show you guys & Gals a free movie. Popcorn is available in the lobby. (Buttered of course) :D

This is the best pattern of Flow I can come up with in the reef tank with both 820's going.

Don't laugh at my rockscaping, I need more rock to make it nicer.

I hope this works and is allowed.

http://www.keritechpc.com/100_4160.mov

ReefNeck
01-11-2006, 07:06 PM
Wow, It works! Quicktime is required and it's a little large so be patient.

Opinions please?