PDA

View Full Version : Parasitic Fungia Twin?

msumatt
10-12-2012, 10:36 AM
Hi everybody,

That's kind of the scenario I'm trying to describe though I doubt that's what it literally is. I've heard of Fungia reproducing by having small plates form on or near it, but that doesn't seem to be what mine has done. Mine seems to be forming a new mouth on the side of the body that doesn't look like it has any plate structure surrounding it. Will it eventually form a plate and leave? I tried feeding the extra mouth and it does eat, which is pretty cool! If anyone has had this happen or knows what will happen, please let me know. I included a picture of a closeup of the mouth for reference. The extra mouth is boxed in red.

jimsflies
10-12-2012, 12:25 PM
I've seen fungia with multiple mouths, so its possible that is what you are seeing.

msumatt
10-12-2012, 01:39 PM
You always reply so fast Jim! Yes, it is an additional mouth about an inch away from the original mouth. Both of them eat if fed. However, will that additional mouth separate from the "parent" possibly? Or (whenever I get a reef saw) would it make for a good frag candidate if I cut between the original and secondary mouth? Any input from anyone is greatly appreciated and thanks.

msumatt
10-12-2012, 10:42 PM
Yes, I do know that they take a long time to return to their original shape. I don't have the equipment to frag it anyway, and that is low on the priority list as well. I'll just enjoy it for now, and feed it more to see if it will further try to separate from the parent fungia.