PDA

View Full Version : Anybody grow sps without dosing? Just water changes?

Tom Toro
11-10-2012, 08:04 PM
I'm always trying to figure out my chemistry and have to add something or another in small increments to bring balance. I'm also auto dosing so that does make things easier, but...

Has anybody had success with sps without dosing anything? Just doing weekly water changes or some other recipe? If so, how do you do it? Type of salt/frequency of water changes/percentage of water changes?

Thanks,
Tom

demonclownfish
11-10-2012, 08:15 PM
Red planet, Purple polyp birdsnest, Red monti, and green slimer. i do waterchanges once a month and just top it off 2 or 3x a week. No dosing. the only thing i put in it food and coral frenzy.

Tom Toro
11-10-2012, 08:31 PM
Wow, that's great and it can be done. So what type of equipment are you running? Skimmer/Flow/Lighting/Salt type? What's your secret?

Sir Patrick
11-10-2012, 08:41 PM
I grow sps well.

90G total volume. Change 5 gallons of water every other month. Running bio pellets. All top off water is Kalkwasser. I add Mag as needed every month or so. Filter sock doesnt get changed often enough, as it should.

I have a single Korrilia Evo 950, MP-10, DIY Euro Reef knock off skimmer, bare bottom. 6 bulb T-5 w/ 12 Blue LEDS.

I keep it pretty simple and it seems to work for me.

binford4000
11-10-2012, 09:01 PM
I know allot of people use to just add kalkwasser to the top off and did weekly water changes. The trop does pretty well with just large water changes. Food for thought?

demonclownfish
11-11-2012, 07:15 PM
As long as they arent dying chris, thats fine with me lol.

and in my tank i got 2x 250w 20k XM's, Skimmer, and phosphate reactor