PDA

View Full Version : Nitrogen Cycle & Phosphate biofilter and nitrates

gobbler
02-12-2006, 10:22 PM
In addition to a skimmer in my starter tank, I am also running a bio-wheel filter with a poly filter and carbon pad. I read where these filters generate nitrates, am I better off without them?
Thanks
:?:

Whoyah
02-12-2006, 10:51 PM
Probably. With out constant maintenance, it will turn in to a nitrate trap. A skimmer and live rock is all you really need.

dakar
02-12-2006, 10:52 PM
If the tank is just cycling now, yes they will ultimately cause more harm than good. You want nitrifying bacteria to colonize your live rock and substrate not a removable filter (they will become nitrate factories), or worse a biowheel that in reality kills as much beneficial bacteria as it helps create. By design the wet/dry will remove ammonia and nitrite but not nitrates, they are best suited for FW tanks. SW the more natural approach results in a far more stable system.

Removing the filter pads and biowheel and replacing them with a media bag with a bit of carbon to run it passively would be the best option if you are relying on the filter for circulation. Otherwise removing it from the system completely would work too.

gobbler
02-13-2006, 10:13 PM
Thanks! It's cycled and running fine with a couple fish and live rock, just seems to keep nitrates high. All other params are great.