PDA

View Full Version : Help with ID *pic*

Fatman
03-17-2006, 05:38 PM
It has a stony covering you can see, with holes that feather dusters come out of. I found it at a place a friend recommended and for 40$ I couldnt resist. It had blue, green, off grey ,and different color feather dusters that come out of the holes.

Fatman
03-17-2006, 05:40 PM
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y158/fatty0203/a3d2ced8.jpg

perpetual98
03-17-2006, 05:47 PM
I think it's a rock with Christmas Tree worms. I don't know much about the care of it though. I had a rock with a bunch that I got from a guy when I bought his live rock when we was taking his tank down. It didn't last long. I don't know exactly the care of it though. I think that they're worms that live in porites, but I don't really know.

dsfdbutterfly
03-17-2006, 05:48 PM
It's a christmas tree rock. I wanted one but they told me they were hard to keep. It doesn't like direct light from MH if that's your set up. The feathers need the sponge on the rock to survive I was told. They are absolutely beautiful though. Do some research on it so that it gets the best care.

The one I was looking at had quite a few dusters on it. Some red some pink and it even had one that looked like the stuff you decorate a christmas tree with (the shiny garland). You got a good price though. Here in AZ it sells for 1.99 an inch.

davejnz
03-17-2006, 06:31 PM
Porites sp.

lReef lKeeper
03-17-2006, 06:36 PM
yep, its a christmas tree rock. they require basicly the same care as your feather dusters. from the pick it looks like you got one with a lot of worms with different colored crowns. i would pay $40 for it.

Fatman
03-17-2006, 06:42 PM
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?pCatId=639

???

davejnz
03-17-2006, 06:47 PM
Chistmas tree worms(Spirobranchus giganteus) are the commensal critters with this encrusting Porites sp.(my guess is Porites lobata).It is a stoney coral, intense light is preffered.

Fatman
03-17-2006, 06:48 PM
Porites
The Porites Coral are available in yellow, tan, green, brown, cream colors. Some have commensal Christmas Tree Worms. One of the most hardy of sps corals and relatively fast growing. Porites REQUIRE bright light to color up. A great SPS beginner coral, the Porites species is generally peaceful toward other tank mates. The Porites coral is one of the more peaceful of the SPS or Small Polyp Stony Corals. This attractive coral is found in many shapes and colors. The yellow branch being the most popular. Extends polyps and has a very fuzzy appearance. Can be placed closer to other corals providing they are equally peaceful. Requires high light and strong water movement. As with all SPS corals, calcium levels will need to be maintained to encourage growth and health of coral.

__________________________________________________ _______________

So Light + Flow sounds easy enough.

They seem very happy where their at, always looking fuzzy meaning polyps are out.

davejnz
03-17-2006, 06:57 PM
Thats true for the captive raised branching species or your hitchiker encrusting species.However,this is a wild coral that has a poor survival record in captivity.
If the coral dies,the worms will too.Good luck,keep us posted on how it does.

dsfdbutterfly
03-17-2006, 10:09 PM
I don't think it's the coral that doesn't like the direct light I think it's the worms. There is some symbolic relationship between them and the coral that encrust the rock. Once the coral dies they are soon to follow is what I was told. There is some truth in what you were writing. They like water movement and do need light. However, the MH light I think burns the worm. I think this is why they are having so much trouble with it surviving in the tank situation. They can't figure it out. The coral needs/like high light and water movement but worms don't.

Please keep us posted. I'm definately interested. This is something that I wanted BAD. If you find that you have success with it share with the rest of us. I would be one that would like the info. for sure. When searching the internet I was able to pull it up by putting in christmas tree rock and christmas tree worm. Try that and see what you find. Some places are selling them online but there are a few articles on care for them.

davejnz
03-17-2006, 10:55 PM
Here's a study done on Christmas Tree Worms and Porites lobata
http://bio.classes.ucsc.edu/bio162/Previous%20Class%20Material/Moorea%202002/Readings/Shawn.pdf
In this study,worm density and coral density were found to be highest at 5feet of water.I would assume then that intense lighting does not play a factor in the worms/corals poor survival rate in captivity.

dsfdbutterfly
03-17-2006, 11:34 PM
Interesting and good to know since I have lots of light.

davejnz
03-18-2006, 12:13 AM
I was surprised too.After hearing your response I figured i'd do a search and see what i could find.From what i've read previously,wild Porites doesn't do well.In that study,P.lobata seems to be abundant up near the reef crest.That biotope is tough to recreate.You got waves crashing,shallow water,there are upwellings of planktonic foods.In another study i read,the worms feed on phytoplankton so daily phyto feedings might help.

dsfdbutterfly
03-18-2006, 03:02 PM
So someone might be able to have luck if they were able to provide good light, high water flow and daily feedings? The problem being that they would have to get the rock high enough in the tank and then have one of the power heads directed straight at it. You would have to hope that all this would not cause the rock to fall or become unstable when your critters crawled on it. I would also think that it couldn't be right at the water line or you would chance a burn from your light if it was directly under it. Maybe off to the side or toward the back?

I might be up to the challange if I could find a rock under $20 to give it a try. With many reports though it doesn't survive and I have little knowledge. I wouldn't want to just kill the thing to think I was better than those that have studied it. Then again everyone told me that my acropora wasn't a beginner coral and that you don't put them in a new tank. Mine is doing great and looking like it is expanding already. Who's to know, it must survive somewhere right?

Sweetpea
03-18-2006, 06:40 PM
My LFS has a rock like that (similar in size if I am judging the photo correctly) that has only 4 worms... they're charging $100! :eek: I wish it were more reasonably priced (maybe $50?) ... I would love to bring it home! :rolleyes:

(I'm not the only one who thinks $100 is WAY too much. It's been there for over a month, while most of their stock is different everytime I go in.)

Good find / Good price - Congrats!

Fatman
03-18-2006, 09:15 PM
I currently have it in about 8 inches of water , 14 inches from the MH. I looks extremely happy, and the worms are out about 95% of the time. I daily feed "Marine Snow" to the tank for all the corals, I will try something need next week called phytoplankton green. Also soon I'll be adding my phosban reactor, to remove any phosphates (even though I test at >0.)

dsfdbutterfly
03-18-2006, 10:02 PM
From everything that Dave has pulled up on it I think you've got a shot at it. Placement and everything sounds right. Different than what I was told at first but that's the lfs for ya. Like I said keep me/us posted cuz I would love to know someone had success with it.

davejnz
03-19-2006, 01:32 AM
I agree,direct MH lighting would be idea.Just make sure you acclimate to that lighting slowly over the course of 3-4 weeks.Direct laminar(1-way) flow from a powerhead is never a good idea for most corals(a few aposymibiotic soft corals are the exception).The reef crest has surges,that type of flow is hard to duplicate.You can create strong oscillatory(back and forth) water flow in a tank that would be much better than a powerhead blasting.I generally don't recommend SQUIDS but in this case their switching outputs could be used as an altenative to a surge device.Make sure to get a strong,pressure rated pump as SQUIDS put alot of headpressure on pumps.Expect a 30% reduction in flow while useing one.Ocean Motion makes some water output switching devices that are superior to SQUIDS.They're a little $$$ but well worth the investment IMO.
http://www.oceansmotions.com/

Fatman
03-19-2006, 12:55 PM
We'll I'll have to save some money for that, what I currently have is my power heads aimed at the wall so the flow "disperses" throughout that corner of the tank. Seems to be working well for now, until I get a better system.