PDA

View Full Version : Reef Aquarium Fish My fish has a white cell buildup??

04-03-2006, 08:26 PM
I have been trying to get a good photo of this, but it won't show up good in a photo at all.

On the top fin on my false perc there is a white celluar type of build up. there appears to be one on the side of him as well.

He swims around, is quite active, but it seems like the other fish don't play with him as well. The are currently in the QT tank for ich, and I know it is not that otherwise all the fish would have it not just the 1, and this looks nothing like ich, it just appears to be cells/tissue built up on the fin.

Anyone have any ideas?

ramoth41
04-03-2006, 11:00 PM
Try thse and see if you can trouble shoot it.. without a picture it's hard to diagnose....
www.wetwebmedia.com/brooklynellosisart.htm
www.nationalfishpharm.com/diseases.html
hope this helps...

ReefNeck
04-04-2006, 10:37 AM
I might also add that I had Erik do a FW dip on this fish about a week ago and this "stuff" just fell off the fish on Erik's hand. He did the FW dip and the fish went back into QT without any signs of it. Now it's back.

He has sent me at least a dozen pics and none show it well at all.

I suggested he post it here because I think this one is beyond my knowledge.

Keri

lReef lKeeper
04-04-2006, 03:01 PM
sounds like some type of Fungus to me. you may be able to just catch the fish and gently pull it off. if not try another FW dip

04-04-2006, 09:20 PM
Well I have tried and tried. I think in total I have taken about 50 pictures.

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f133/insult/Aquarium/Fish/100_0996.jpg
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f133/insult/Aquarium/Fish/100_1008.jpg

I hope this will help.

lReef lKeeper
04-04-2006, 10:06 PM
can't tell from the picks, maybe fin rot or some type of fungus !?

Reef_Angel
04-05-2006, 12:43 AM
I have something that looks like a buildup of salt on my orange "tree" sponge. When I rub it off, it just flakes away. It's not salt though. After wiping it off, it comes back and seems to spread to. It looks and sounds similar to your perc. I've been trying to find out what it is to no avail either. Could it be the same thing?

04-05-2006, 11:01 AM
My fish are in QT until Thursday, at that point they will rejoin the main tank because of that oh so midnight ich outbreak.

Question is, what should I do with the little fella that has that buildup? Put him in the main tank and see what happens? I have slighting elevated levels in the QT tank because my fish are stuck in a 10G tank together and doing 40% water changes every other day can only do so much.

My thinking is this
The cleaner shrimp may help "clean" the problem
The levels are lower and better for the fish
More room to move about and less stressful

So should I put the little guy into the main, or leave him in QT by himself, or the hard part and put the guy to sleep.

04-05-2006, 11:23 AM
I was curious if this could be a cause
When an animal is awake its high activity causes the body cells to be broken down faster than they can be built up. During sleep the buildup of body tissues takes place. Thus in order to maintain life, animals must periodically go through a stage that we refer to as sleep.

I have a Bio-Wheel 150 on a small 10G. Could the water movement cause lack of sleep which in turn cause the tissue buildup?

ramoth41
04-05-2006, 11:33 AM
I read somthing about amonia burn but I'm thinking you both have a fungus thing going on!
did you check out the site i sent?

04-05-2006, 12:36 PM
I did, I found a lot of good information, but since there were no actual photos of the different things, it is hard to narrow down the list.

lReef lKeeper
04-05-2006, 01:36 PM
yeah it still sounds like some kind of fungus to me too. try the FW dip and picking it off before they go back to the main tank !!

04-05-2006, 01:39 PM
What is the best way to do it? Put them in cup of FW for a say 15 seconds then a moist paper towel to try and clean the fungus off?

lReef lKeeper
04-05-2006, 02:02 PM
the guys i know that do it, leave the fish in for about 1 minute. Then use a moist paper towel and just try to gently pick it off. if it won't come off easily then don't pull to hard, we'll have to figure out another way. FW supposedly just makes the fish feel "drunk".

04-05-2006, 11:17 PM
I wish freshwater did that for me