PDA

View Full Version : zoanthid placement

pinky
07-17-2013, 08:26 PM
I acquired a 29 gal biocube almost a year ago with a tomato clown and a blue fin damsel fish. I quickly switched it over to live sand and rock and waited and waited and waited added some snails and hermit crabs, and waited some more I just ordered my first batch of assorted zoanthid polyps along with some pods and more snails, and am very very excited for them. My question is where in the tank should I set the frags? I read over an older post regarding this which had great info but for the most part all the zoas were under t5 lighting. My cube has the stock lighting which is power compacts so I am concerned that the placement is going to be even more important with my weak lighting any one here have more info regarding zoas and power compacts?? So far I gather that just like everything else salt water it just depends on your personal experience. But the main thing I gather is that it is color and size that changes with the placement. Also the info seems to be just about split between sand bed or mid level, but most agree with medium flow. Any input on this matter would be greatly appreciated and as soon as I get my new additions ill post pictures and maybe we can play name that zoanthid!!! :jester:

MizTanks
07-17-2013, 11:22 PM
Low to mid level. Do you know what lighting they've been kept under? This will help in placing them.
Otherwise I would start them on the SB and move them up.

Congrats and post pic's when they get settled in :)

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

pinky
07-18-2013, 09:19 AM
Thank you I didn't think to ask what they are under now but ill make a call and find out!

pinky
07-18-2013, 09:13 PM
Ok found out they have been under LED's.... I am thinking of one day upgrading the lighting but for now I am just happy that I got things going along nicely. I might of jumped the gun getting the zoas but I have been waiting so long.... and they were a great deal I hope they do ok. Also found out in my research that the tiny greenish starfish my LFS "threw in for free" are possibly coral eaters!!!!:doh: yep pretty much freaking out over here now...

MizTanks
07-18-2013, 09:17 PM
Any idea on the name of said Star Fish?

MyNemesis
07-18-2013, 09:28 PM
I had a 29 gallon Bio Cube in my office for years and the zoanthids were just thrilled to be a part of the tank. I would start them on your sandbed and see how they look. I think they would tolerate a higher placement if that is where you want to put them, like midway up in the tank. As to the teeny greenish starfish, take a picture, we will identify it in a snap!

pinky
07-18-2013, 09:30 PM
from what i gather reading greenback asterinas?? spelling is a bit different in the post and they may not even be the greenback variety i will snap a pick if i can but they are small fat lil starfish that are dark greenish some have 5 legs some 3 some even 6. all different sizes and they threw in like 15...

One post i read said that they had tons and have never had a problem with them eating their zoas... but others show pick of the starfish all over colones..

pinky
07-18-2013, 09:43 PM
naturally when you go looking they are all hiding. But i spotted two a larger one under a rock and a tiny one on a shell

pinky
07-18-2013, 09:44 PM
here is the tiny one

pinky
07-18-2013, 09:45 PM
sorry for the multiple posts i couldn't get it to upload more than one pic

MyNemesis
07-18-2013, 09:45 PM
It's the dark ones that eat zoas, the white ones are fine. If in doubt, throw em in your sump!

pinky
07-18-2013, 09:47 PM
thanks for the input MyNemesis its good to hear you had luck with them in the same tank i think i want a few on the sandbed upfront and then some on the rocks mid-level so i guess ill be my own lil zoas experiment. So these guys are gonna munch on them hun.... I dont have a sump i guess i could bring them back to the LFS lol

MizTanks
07-19-2013, 07:29 AM
Definitely wanna pick those ones out.

pinky
07-19-2013, 08:46 AM
Well the process has already started I have a feeling this will become a headache, and I'm kind of upset the LFS dude did that but oh well on a posstive note I get my order today I'm super excited. What's your thoughts on the dip process? I have heard of a freshwater dip and a hydrogen proxide dip. These are for killing parasites right? I'm gonna do some research but figured i would ask

MizTanks
07-19-2013, 02:32 PM
I personally use CoralRx for the removal of parasites. Works great! As for the lil star's already in your tank...pick em out and toss them in the garbage. Do not feel bad because you'll feel worse if they really take hold in your tank.
As for the info you got from the LFS...that's a dang shame! Sadly though not uncommon. Just ask us first :)

pinky
07-20-2013, 01:36 PM
thanks lesson learned there but they were fun to watch for the past year anyways... Im up to 6 removed now and none spotted today. As for my order it came in last night I drip acclimated everyone for a few hours then put them in but the zoa frag I let drip over night then this morning did a quick H202 dip, no critters could be seen runny off so Im crossing my fingers they were all clean. got them sitting in the tank now.

pinky
07-20-2013, 01:40 PM
Here is the frag when it first arrived

pinky
07-20-2013, 01:42 PM
in the tank with the antics

pinky
07-20-2013, 01:44 PM
they looks kind of gray... and at first had the slim all over them lots of that came off in the dip.

pinky
07-20-2013, 01:47 PM
so Im just gonna sit back and hope for the best I am sure it will take time for them to open I just hope they are still alive lol its totally easier to tell with snails.

MizTanks
07-20-2013, 05:00 PM
Very nice size frag! Can't wait to see them open!!!

pinky
07-22-2013, 08:35 PM
Thanks Im excited too. So its been 2 days now and none have opened I thought the biggest head was opening a little bit cause I could see more dark in the center then the next morning it was closed tight again. Do they normally close up at night and reopen in the morning?? Or is it maybe the stupid starfish cause they are still in the tank!

MizTanks
07-22-2013, 09:32 PM
Zoa's do close up at night. But I'm a little concerned that they haven't opened yet. It should be pretty easy for you to spot any stars on them. Try moving them up a little.

pinky
07-23-2013, 11:01 AM
Ok I moved them up about mid tank there are a few heads that seem to maybe be opening a little the centers are darker but they are still pretty much closed up tight. I'll update again when i get home tonight. and I havent seen any stars around them they seem to stay on my rocks and as they come out im throwing them out! so I dont think its the start fish I just didn't know if they would go munchin on my zoas and then hide.... I really hope they survive its my very fist coral and i have waited well after others said it was safe I hate to think I'm killin them....

MizTanks
07-23-2013, 12:30 PM
No your not killing them :) I've been reefing for 4yrs and have had very little success with keeping Zoa's alive. Aside from 1 type all others have perished :(
Having said this there are many who are very successful keeping them. I personally don't know how they do it-lol.
Give them time and remember, it's not always the keeper's fault sometimes Zoa's just melt ;)

pinky
07-24-2013, 05:35 PM
Well I didnt post last night because I think you are right and I SO didnt want you to be. But yeah they do look to be dieing and it is odd cause they honestly look to be melting. I have read where people talk about this happening but I thought it to be weird way to describing a coral dieing, but that really is what it looks like. Some of the heads seem to be almost shedding, some are almost transparent, and they just dont look as full and the color is brown not that blueish gray when they first arrived. I got some pics here.

pinky
07-24-2013, 05:38 PM
Im not gonna take it out I have read where other people have had them come back from the brink of death, maybe these will. Crossing fingers

MizTanks
07-24-2013, 06:45 PM
I'm sorry darlin :( They do look kind a rough but like you said, stay positive and maybe they'll make a come back :)

pinky
07-24-2013, 07:12 PM
:tear: yep this sucks..... But now I just have to try again, seeing how we seem to share the same bad luck with these guys got any suggestions for another coral?? I will keep these and see what happens, but I not gonna give up. Im gonna go page hunting and see what else catches my eye, which is fun!

MizTanks
07-24-2013, 08:33 PM
:tear: yep this sucks..... But now I just have to try again, seeing how we seem to share the same bad luck with these guys got any suggestions for another coral?? I will keep these and see what happens, but I not gonna give up. Im gonna go page hunting and see what else catches my eye, which is fun!

I wouldn't call it BAD luck just yet for you! Me on the other hand I would after 4yrs of trying lol.
LPS have always thrived for me :) Much more so then Zoa's anyways lol. Some of my favorites are, Duncans, Hammer, Candy Canes, Favia's and Blastos. I'm also having good luck with my 1 and only Acan.
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/07/25/udupydam.jpg

pinky
07-24-2013, 08:48 PM
that's beautiful love the colors and they look very happy! I think I will make a trip to Atlanta to a much larger fish store than my tiny local place and pick it up this time the Zoas came from Fla and maybe the travel was too hard on them, but I was actually just looking at the candy canes I'm liking them and I read they can be fast growers!! And I wont do the H2O2 dip again im gonna order one I was gonna order some coral food anyways. Lesson totally learned :doh:

pinky
07-24-2013, 08:56 PM
1st... don't use hydrogen peroxide as a dip there are far better options that are better for the coral as well. This could have been your zoas demise. I prefer to use bayer insecticide. If you can't find a link to its use as a dip pm me I will find one or list how to do it, but I think it has been mentioned here before somewhere...

2nd... in the last 2 pics they appear to have something covering them, can you tell if it is a pest, slime, or "other" and can you use a turkey baster to blow it off, that may help.

3rd... They don't look good, but I have brought pieces back from worse. So they still have a chance IMO. Try to keep them clean and pest/ irritant free.

Thanks for the input I only did the dip cause I read it a bunch but I also read people using the professional stuff ill look around and see what I can get. But I will get something before I buy anything else. And I try to blow them off and I got a lot of the dead stuff lose, I found a few heads in the center that still have good color but when I was blowing them off it really just reminded me of like the skin of the zoas or sort of like they hollowed out on the inside.

BEETLE60
07-24-2013, 09:49 PM
Hi Pinky,you haven't posted your tank param's ,I assume that you have checked all your levels,Po4,alk etc.etc
let us know where they are at ,good luck with the zoa's ,hope they pull through ! :thumbsup:

binford4000
07-26-2013, 09:23 PM
You might want to try a product called Revive,doesn't seam to be too harsh on zoa's. I have been reefing over twenty years and have seen peroxide dips kill more then they help. Chris's advice is good one but since you have no QT setup it would be best to try the revive. Even if Zoa's look like they are melting theirs always a chance they will come back. The revive will remove virtually any pest and won't hurt it in this condition. It is also an antiseptic that will help clean and repair the damage that has been done. It is similar to coral RX Miz recommended . After you dip it try to put in a medium flow area with good light and cross your fingers! Good luck.

Ps if you decide to use the Bayer the best recipe is 8ml per liter. There is a chance it can harm your fish tho,that is why most people QT after dipping in it. :oldman:

MyNemesis
07-26-2013, 09:50 PM
I use the Coral Revive and like it. Good dip for new zoas. In terms of treatment of any parasites, etc., Revive kills adult zoa nudibranchs and other pests, but isn't good at getting rid of the eggs. Also, it takes the zoas a little longer to come back from the dip.
Hydrogen Peroxide dips are good for only one thing in my opinion: killing macro algaes on your zoas or other corals that are killing them. The peroxide wastes whatever green weed is choking them out and is a good fix for that. Always remember to give your zoas a quick fresh RO/DI dip before they go back in the tank, or dip them in tank water water and have a chance to check them out carefully and put them back. I will be honest here. I picked up zoanthid eating nudibranchs at the A2 swap and have had a heck of a time getting rid of them.
I have tried a new product, RPS All Out and am very pleased with the results. It kills the bad guys, including the eggs evidently, and the corals come right back like they haven't had the crap kicked out of them. I am ordering a bottle. Here's a link: RPS All Out Coral Dip | Wholesale Coral | Detroit Coral Farms, Wholesale Live Corals (http://detroitcoralfarms.com/news/rps-all-out-coral-dip/)